Contributor
sandiegno
0 Kudos

Re: What book have you loved, but the movie ruined it?

sorry im talking about i am # 4

sandiegno
Inspired Contributor
sadie_2151

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

The Relic totally ruined the story.  They changed the main plot, they completely eliminated one of the three main characters and I just hated it overall.  I loved the book though. 

Relic (Special Agent Pendergast Series #1)  

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
New User
becca1029

I loved the Twilight saga, but the movies completely ruined it. Standing alone, they're not bad, but compared to the books, they're terrible. But that could just be because I'm not a big Kristen Stewart fan and, since she plays Bella, she's pretty important in the movies.

I also completely loved the Pretty Little Liars series and (I know it's not a movie, but it still proves my point) the TV show is absolutely nothing like the books. From the first episode, the little things ticked me off. First, the books are set two or three years after Ali went missing, not one year. That's not that big of a deal, but still. Also, Spencer and Melissa are supposed to be blonde. I'm usually not too picky about those little details, but if you've read the seventh and eighth books, you know that's actually pretty important. From that episode, things only got worse. They went and created entirely new characters and situations, things that never even happened in the book! I'll admit that the show is good, but not if you read the books first.

Inspired Contributor
lives2read
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I always try and read a book before a movie comes out, it will always be ruined by even seeing the previews of the movie. The joy in reading a book is seeing it all play out in your head just as you want it to look.

A movie can never live up to that. I never read a book after I have seen a movie, like The Blind Side, loved the movie, but would never want the actors and stage setting running around in my head, so now I will miss out and what should have been a great book.

I also liked the Twilight series, but none of the settings or people were right in the movies.

I did love Harry Potter in book and movie form, maybe it helped that we were always kept waiting for each installment, and could join the characters in the books and movies together more easily.

I have just finished The Hunger Games series, I had to get it done before anything about a movie came out, or I would have to miss them. Loved the books.

Contributor
Jade-Belle
0 Kudos

I def agree on the Twilight. i mean it's not that I hate its just that they left soo many things out and changed a whole bunch of things

Inspired Contributor
sadie_2151
0 Kudos

I agree about the Pretty Little Liars. I saw that the tv show was coming out so I started reading them. I got thru the 1st 4 when the 1st season came out. I watched the whole first season but i just became very uninterested when the 2nd season came out. I feel like it's dragging on and every episode is the same. I tried watching it the other night and I had no clue what was going on even though I've read the books, that's how different the series is from the book.

Contributor
Livr
0 Kudos

I also really enjoyed the book I am Number Four and was extremely excited to see the movie when it came out but was so disappointed in it!  First off Four/John is suppose to be a freshman in high school not a twenty some year old who tries to pass for a high schooler!  The movie did not do any justice to the book, if I was the author I would offended by was his great story turned into.

Contributor
deathiscoming
0 Kudos

Twlight Series

Books amazing

Movies sucked

We all must die at some point. Might as well embrace life as it is.
Contributor
LisaPhillips
0 Kudos

I had just finished reading i am number four when i watched the movie and would agree that too many things were changed from little details to major concepts and the timeline of events. Thats really the only book ive read thats become a movie, and i was definitely disappointed. If i hadnt read it first, im sure i wouldve loved it, so now im scared of watching hunger games and city of bones. I think i love the books too much to risk watching the movies haha. If anything, i like to watch a movie adaptation first because the books will only make them better.
New User
ale97
0 Kudos

bobbles918 wrote:

SaraMariaa wrote:

I loved the books I Am Number Four and Twilight. The movies are okay but they left things out and some things didn't happen like they were supposed to. It pissed me off. I don't see why its so hard to do the movies like the books. 

I thought I Am Number Four was just ok.  I havent seen the movie & am in no hurry but I don't think I'll mind if it is different from the book.  I also don't understand why it is so hard to make movies like the books.  Or why authors are even ok with their books being butchered!  I'm just hoping the Hunger Games & Mortal Instument movies don't dissapoint-I'll have to go in with lowered expectations

The i am number four movie didn't at all come close to being as good as the book. I mean the movie itself good, but compared to the book it didn't stand a chance.:smileywink:

-Ale
New User
AshleyEliza
0 Kudos

Eragon and The Series of Unfortunate Events.

Seriously the movies sucked. Series of Unfortunate events didn't even make sense. It was a poor choice to try and cram 3 books into one movie. As for Eragon, they left out so many important parts and I didn't completely love the casting choices for this one.

I didn't like the Twilight movies but I wasn't too crazy about the books either. Also Blood and Chocolate. They should have stayed true to the ending of the book. They completely changed it. I haven't read one book that I actually enjoyed to movie made from it. :/

End of rant.

“And once you start walking down that road, there is no turning back. You will start craving the rush. One can become addicted to madness, you know. Develop a taste for it.” - Minnaloushe Monk (Season of the Witch)
New User
AshleyEliza
0 Kudos

Actually, I lied. I did enjoy The Thief Lord, Inkheart, and Atonement.

“And once you start walking down that road, there is no turning back. You will start craving the rush. One can become addicted to madness, you know. Develop a taste for it.” - Minnaloushe Monk (Season of the Witch)
Distinguished Correspondent
bobbles918
0 Kudos

AshleyEliza wrote:

Actually, I lied. I did enjoy The Thief Lord, Inkheart, and Atonement.

I hated Atonement!  I wasnt that big of a fan to the book-It really depressed me but I didnt think the movie even came close to the book-I think because of how sad the story is I would never have liked the movie even if I hadnt read the book though-such a heartbreaking story!

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"-Mark Twain
Correspondent
iluvhersheys_andbooks

This is seriously my first post on here in like over a year. This site used to be my favorite but then I just lost touch. Glad to see it still up and going, now on to the question DEFINITELY the Twilight series. I really did love that series but the movies turned it into a FAD, not a credible piece of fun literature that we all loved to read. People started watching the movies and reading only the first book just for the sake of being a part of that "Twilight Fangirl/guy" crowd. I used to love re-reading the series, but I have never picked up the books again since the first movie came out. 

Otherwise I honestly like to stay away from movie adaptions of my favorite books. They usually end up being hollywood's horrible creation of how they THINK the movie should go. And the directors and producers usually ignore the view of the authors in favor of the directors which absolutely sucks!!! 

www.blackandblueink.blogspot.com ------- Funnest Place on Earth...well to me!!!
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12

bobbles918 wrote:

I also don't understand why it is so hard to make movies like the books.  Or why authors are even ok with their books being butchered!  I'm just hoping the Hunger Games & Mortal Instument movies don't dissapoint-I'll have to go in with lowered expectations

Unfortunately when publishers agree to publish an authors work, the author is agreeing to sell all rights over to the publisher. This means that when movies are made about books, the author really has no say if they do not like what the director is doing. They can offer advice or opinions, but in the end the director will decide what stays and what goes. Basically, the director tries to make the story their own and if people like it enough, some may not even read the books because they believe that's what happens in the book. They could not be anymore wrong! Books ARE better than the movies for a reason- because the movie is just a cheap rip off (the majority of the time). Directors either don't want to spend all the money or don't have the funds so they f*** things up. Look at Eragon, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, I Am Number Four, and pretty much any other movie you can think of. This is why I refuse to watch movies based on books. They ruin the image I have from the book and they rip off the story and the author who, if they hadn't written the story in the first place, there would be no freaking movie! Sorry for the ranting, it just really bothers me when they ruin books like that.

Oh and I'm not going anywhere near the hunger games movies! No chance in hell that they'll ruin those books for me!

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
New User
BookAddictions

Right off the bat, TWILIGHT! I used to love it so much...but the movies are so bad adn they just piss me off. I haven't been able to pick up any of the books since and i hate it. I'm hoping someday I'll be able to reclaim my love.

And I'm terrified of Hunger Games, Mortal Instruments, and Wicked Lovely being turned into a movie. And there was so speculation about Divergent too. I'm absolutely in love with all of those and the thought of those turning into twilight for me is terrible. Hopefully, it'll be good. Hopefully.

And i definitely agree with Pretty Little Liars. The show just makes me laugh half the time because it's sooo different. One of the funniest things is that they're not even best friends in the book. They don't hang out all the time like they do in the books. And they make all the normal characters weird. Ian? Noel? Lucas? What the heck.

And speaking of series, i'm really DYING to know because i want to read the book series. If anyone knows, how to the Chloe King books relate to the TV series. i just don't want it to be like pretty little liars.

New User
avid_reader202
0 Kudos

The one that disappointed me the most was the Twilight series. When the first movie came out it was just SO HORRIBLE! The acting, the directing, the script! Agh!!!! The only thing i like about the movie was the soundtrack.

But i was also disappointed with Breaking Dawn. I think that it is the worst book in the series. So i'm really not a Twilight fan like before but maybe one day i will be able to enjoy them again.

I was actually okay with the Harry Potter movies. As they continued making them, they got better and better.

Contributor
Fairqueen2
0 Kudos

Definitely will have to say that the Twilight Saga got ruined by the movies. Acting sucks, but yet I still go see them just to see if they improve at all (which they don't by much). Also, even though it is a TV show, The Vampire Diaries on the CW totally ruined a good series by L.J. Smith, at least the first original books in the series written in the 90s. Saw the first episode and I was literally going 'WTF?' the whole episode. There are just so many things that they changed from the books into the show that I couldn't watch anymore of it. It's pretty much two toally different series that go by the same name and have simally named characters. 

I don't even thing I'm going to go see The Hunger Games when it hits theaters. I read about who was cast for each role in the film, and the majority of the actors they picked made me question what the casting director was thinking. Also, the same goes with Mortal Instuments. Love that series so much that I don't need a movie ruining the characters. 

Inspired Contributor
GiveMeTheDimond
0 Kudos

I feel the same way! The true message didn't get through because even with all those weird tatoos he still kinda looked hot!