Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

What makes a book interesting?

I know what I like when I read, but what makes books interesting to everyone else? I like to write and I hope to someday write my own book so it would really help if people told me what they want in a good book.
"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
Inspired Contributor
wbb_99
0 Kudos

Re: What makes a book interesting?

The Characters!! To me the characters r wat makes the story, so it would be the charcters for me! I also like really good love triangles! They make it interesting. Like trying to figure out who they r going to end up with in the end!

"Your awfully small to be so hugely irritating"
-Edward
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

Thanks that really helps:smileyhappy:!

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
Contributor
moonlessnight32
0 Kudos

For me a book has to have a begining a middle a Climax and an ending. For me its all about the first page of the first chapter if its not interesting enough to grab my attention and hold it i wont get past the first page, there has to be good character development and great dialog and has to toy with your emotions a bit and really get you intised and make you feel the emotions that the character is going through. I also think that a good story line and backdrop of the story is crucial to make everything in place i dont like when a book is predictable in a sense you can think it might be but in the end when your reading it it has to have some surprises even if it is predictable if its not predictable and more mysterious it makes for a good book. Overall I think when i choose a book to read it has to jump out at me and even the back of the book cover has to entise me to want to know more before i buy it.
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

I agree with you 100%. That's why I'm so picky when choosing books. I can spend up to three hours in a book store just trying to decide on books. I hate it when the start of a book is boring and you just can't get into it. Usually if that happens, I just end up not reading the book or putting it down for the longest time.

Thanks again for the help. You guys are giving me good pointers to keep in mind.

Frequent Contributor
katie_mills

Golden_Reader12 wrote:

I agree with you 100%. That's why I'm so picky when choosing books. I can spend up to three hours in a book store just trying to decide on books. I hate it when the start of a book is boring and you just can't get into it. Usually if that happens, I just end up not reading the book or putting it down for the longest time.

Thanks again for the help. You guys are giving me good pointers to keep in mind.

Exactly. I think the first chapter is crucial to the story, even the first page. And an intresting summary on the front flap or back cover.

It also needs a decatable plot. If I can't really tell what the plot is, I lose intrest quickly. 

"Son, fear is the heart of love."