Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

Worst Books Ever!

[ Edited ]

You know how people on here always talk about there favorite book?

Well what's the Worst book

You've ever read?

Mine:

Wicked Lovely

I could not finish it, it just got so annoying

But that's just my opinion....

Message Edited by J.R._BookWorm on 07-06-2009 06:05 PM
"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Re: Worst Book Ever!

Hatchet by Gary Paulson. So boring. I ended up tricking my friend into telling me what happens so I wouldn't get in trouble for not finishing it.
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Frequent Contributor
michaela27

idk thats a hard question i usually like soemthing about every book.  tho only book i can think of right now was a book i had to read for school, The Pearl.  it was just sooo boring and it wasnt even long. most of it was just pointless description not much even happened and there wasnt much dialogue. and then it ended bad.
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

The worst book I've ever read??? Meh...I can think of a lot of terrible ones I've read. But if anything, "The Warrior Heir" is my pick.
Frequent Contributor
xoxomusicgirl
0 Kudos

Re: Worst Books Ever!

hatchet. by gary paulson.

hands down is the worst book i have ever read. i deff dont recommend it haha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane"
--Jimmy Buffett
Contributor
Tangleheart
0 Kudos

island of the blue dolphins by elizibeth spears or someone like that. uhg i had to read that for school last year and it was just terrible.
New User
Mary-Claire
0 Kudos

This is to Tangleheart, Island of the Blue Dolfins is a great book. You need to go back to it this summer and reread it. 

The worst book I've ever read is Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Too wierd, too gross. I love the broadway play and the soundtrack but the book is awful. 

Contributor
Tangleheart
0 Kudos

im not rereading that stupid book. even the movie was terrible. they made us watch it and half the class including me just sat there talking about how bad it was.
New User
Mary-Claire
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
whatever, I guess everyone has different reading tastes. But it is an easy read and I would give it another go. I've never seen the movie though. But don't call the book stupid, no matter how much you dislike a book, a book is never stupid.
Message Edited by Mary-Claire on 07-06-2009 07:54 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Pennley_Love

I detest The Clique Series. They make no point and have no purpose. Hands down- worst series ever. Almost as bad as hannah montana(miley cyrus- whatever no one cares!)
Sincerely Yours,
Penn
Correspondent
laxgirl979
0 Kudos

So I've read quite a few bad books in my time. Here's my list.

Lost It by Kristin Tracy (I unfortunately bought this book and wasted money and time on it)

How They Met by David Levithan (I loved the books he wrote with Rachel Cohn so I decided to branch out to his solo work, this book did nothing for me and it was hard getting through. Again I unfortunately own this book as well)

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Boy Heaven by Laura Kasischke

The Geography of Girlhood by Kristen Smith

Midnighters: Blue Noon by Scot Westerfeld (good series but a horrible book to end on)

Heart On My Sleeve by Ellen Wittlinger

Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen & Bruce Coville (very weird)

"I have always imagined Paradise will be a kind of library."- Jorge Luis Borges
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mary-Claire wrote:

This is to Tangleheart, Island of the Blue Dolfins is a great book. You need to go back to it this summer and reread it. 

The worst book I've ever read is Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Too wierd, too gross. I love the broadway play and the soundtrack but the book is awful. 

Dude, weird I LOVE Wicked! It's one of my favorite books! But I'm fine if ya hate it! I didn't like Island of The Blue Dolphins either Tangleheart. Couldn't get into it.

Hey laxgirl, you said Blue Noon was bad. I've actually wanted to read the series, but are the other books as bad or is it just that one?

Message Edited by Vampires-and-Spongebob on 07-06-2009 08:26 PM
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

my brother (11) HATES Hatchet and Sign of the Beaver....both by Gary Paulsen....he was forced to read it for school, and answerd 10,000,000,000,000 questions on the books....

i didn't like Hachet either....

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Was your brother like me and refused to finish it?
Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

Yes

but he had to read it for school

it was for a grade

and he's sitting next to me right now read everything i'm writting out loud

Jasper
~Eclipse~
Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger

Pennley_Love wrote:
I detest The Clique Series. They make no point and have no purpose. Hands down- worst series ever. Almost as bad as hannah montana(miley cyrus- whatever no one cares!)

FINALLY i found someone that also thinks that the clique series is the worst...i refuse to read it!
"but why's she got to go to the library?" -Harry
"because that's what Hermione does........When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron (chamber of secrets)
Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm

Pennley_Love wrote:

I don't like Miley Cyrus either

I got one of my friends to hate her :smileyhappy: (and she liked Miley Cyrus too)

I told her all thing I didn't like about her and

then she had an ehpiney

Miley/Hannah is horrable!

Jasper
~Eclipse~
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

J.R._BookWorm wrote:

Pennley_Love wrote:

I got one of my friends to hate her :smileyhappy: (and she liked Miley Cyrus too)

then she had an ehpiney

High five to all the people who dislike Hannah Montana and books like The Clique Series! I couldn't agree with you guys more! Talk about fake and superficial

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
Frequent Contributor
I_luv_Jace
0 Kudos

No way!! The worst book I've ever had to read was A Wrinkle in Time! That book was so boring and made no sense at all. My entire class disliked it most of us fell asleep while reading it in class!!

~*SoFtBaLl LoVeR#23*~
Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger

Golden_Reader12 wrote:

J.R._BookWorm wrote:

Pennley_Love wrote:

then she had an ehpiney

High five to all the people who dislike Hannah Montana and books like The Clique Series! I couldn't agree with you guys more! Talk about fake and superficial

i also refuse to read/watch the series: gossip girl and the a-listers

i can't stand them at all!!!!

"but why's she got to go to the library?" -Harry
"because that's what Hermione does........When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron (chamber of secrets)