Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

do you mostly buy book by its cover

well yes to me thats a big part of buying and reading a book.because when your looking at books you only look at the book once and if you like how the cover looks then you read a bit to see if you like it or not.:smileyhappy:
Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~
Distinguished Correspondent
xojewlzx012

Re: do you mostly buy book by its cover

if i see a book  cover that catches my eye, i usually read the back of it to see what its about & then i decide if i want to but it or not
" I'm completly capable of driving myself home!"
Of course she was but i wasn't capabale of letting her go
- bella & edward, midnight sun ♥
Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_

xojewlzx012 wrote:
if i see a book  cover that catches my eye, i usually read the back of it to see what its about & then i decide if i want to but it or not

that's what i do:} haha. i definatley judge books but i try not to judge ppl:}

You always get your happy ending
If you're not happy...then it's not the end
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation

Yeah mostly. But if I heard it's a great book like The Hunger Games, I'll buy it. I hate the cover of that book but I keep hearing about how great it is.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Correspondent
laxgirl979
0 Kudos

yeah, the cover is what first atracts me to a book. If it stands out than i will read the slip cover to see if its actually any good. Or i just look at the newest stuff because i spend so much time at B&N so i look at most of the books a lot.
"I have always imagined Paradise will be a kind of library."- Jorge Luis Borges
Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm
0 Kudos

yeah. I probably miss out on a lot of good books just because the covers aren't very good or don't 'call to me'. But sometimes you find really well written books just because they had an awesome cover. I've also read not-so-amazing books just 'cause the cover was neat.
team GALE, anyone?
New User
ObsessiveCullenDisorder09
0 Kudos

shesaxsensation wrote:
Yeah mostly. But if I heard it's a great book like The Hunger Games, I'll buy it. I hate the cover of that book but I keep hearing about how great it is.

I hate the cover of Hunger Games too. It's very plain and boring thats why I'd never bought it but then Stephenie Meyer recommended it and I bought and read it. Good book. I do judge books by the covers but I also read the back or slip to see if I'm interested. A book has to have a great cover lol.

Contributor
rainy12
0 Kudos

Usually, I like to judge a book by the written preview...but occassionally a book's cover will be so intriguing that it catches my eye and persuades me to get it.
Frequent Contributor
AlliD
0 Kudos

Melissa Walker is a great YA author (and blogger) and she does this great feature on her blog, Cover Stories, about how book covers come to be. Authors write stories about the different processes they go through (or don't go through) before their books goes to the shelves in their final "clothes". It's really interesting to see alternative covers of books you know and to hear about how publishers decide on the final outcome. 

Here's the link:

http://www.melissacwalker.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?tag=cover%20stories&blog_id=1

Alli 

Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Hmmm, that sound really cool.  Might have to check that out, I someday want to design book covers.  Lol. 

That is a major part of my decision to pick up a book i don't know about and read the description.  I usually always read the description to see if it sounds good but the covers are usually what attracts me.  Lol.  

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Frequent Contributor
Kichou
0 Kudos

A pretty or striking cover definitely hooks me! The most important thing about a cover, though, (which is kind of dumb) is that I won't get weird looks reading it in public. It's why I don't buy very much manga - regardless of the content, the cover is usually one of the female characters in some state of undress. :smileyindifferent:

"And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn, would scarcely know that we were gone." - There Will Come Soft Rains, by Sara Teasdale
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Hey!  What happened to being in Omaha?!  :smileytongue:
"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Frequent Contributor
Kichou
0 Kudos

I was too sick to go yesterday. You didn't notice that I went home early from school? :smileysurprised:
"And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn, would scarcely know that we were gone." - There Will Come Soft Rains, by Sara Teasdale
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Girl I don't have any classes with you, lol.  I only see you at lunch and even then it's sporadic.  I'm sorry your feeling crappy!  :smileysad:  You get sick ALOT. 
Contributor
lscruise
0 Kudos

i try not to but like laxgirl979 said, "the cover is what atracts me to a book." titles also really catch my eye. if a book is on displa,y i defiantly pick it up then flip to the back cover and read the summary. i think its like human instinct; if something shiny is presented to you, you think "oh pretty" and then you have to touch it :smileyvery-happy: