Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
weirdpanda3
0 Kudos

does anyone hate...

[ Edited ]
the fact that people are always trying to compare HP and twilight?
Message Edited by weirdpanda3 on 08-17-2008 11:56 AM
Frequent Contributor
krazy4twilight
0 Kudos

Re: does anyone hate...

Yeah, I mean  its kinda stupid.

Being Normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must feel.
Frequent Contributor
weirdpanda3
0 Kudos

uh i keep reading that they are going to fill in harry potters shoes.i dont know why people dont realize they are two different series maybe with the same popularity now but i hate how they keep saying twilight is better i love both equally.
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

when you think about it the twilight saga isnt nearly as popular as harry potter. just look at the sales of the books. so many more harry potter books have been sold versus twilight books. i think people just tend to like the whole twilight thing because stephenie meyer actually tries to get around the country and meet her fans where as j. k. rowling isnt seen as much because she doesnt live in the U.S.
Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
teamjacob
0 Kudos

I really do love twilight, but harry potter is honestly on a whole different level. with some difficulty, i can take a break from reading a twilight book, but absolutely nothing could get between me and finishing harry potter.
Frequent Contributor
krazy4twilight
0 Kudos

Ones about VAMPIRES

another about WIZARDS!

TWO DIFFERENT THINGS ------- GOSH --------

they are both lovely segas but seriously, STOP comparing, ITS STUPID!!!

Being Normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must feel.
Frequent Contributor
mspotter
0 Kudos

I don't think it's stupid. I love them both. How many of you here have read HP? I am sure a lot. I think people compare them because they appeal to some of the same audiences. They both became popular very quickly, had midnight realease parties, had huge sales. And I compare them because they both have things like wizards, werewolves and vampire, which are fiction, but they still seem real to me.
"Live like you are at the bottom even if you are at the top." -Jonas Brothers
Frequent Contributor
weirdpanda3
0 Kudos

i dont like the fact that they say twilight is like the new harry potter or better
Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

kinda. but I dont like the HP books so i dont see why
Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
New User
DayDreamer
0 Kudos

i don't like it either, i read both series and like them both in THEIR own ways.
Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

exactly. I loved the movies though. 

Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
Distinguished Correspondent
musicangirl
0 Kudos

i don't get why they are trying to compare them it's like comparing butter and penut butter. seroiusly they are two completely different series though they both have magical creators in it. whatz the difference they are both books stop comparing them. i love both series. and i hate when people try to compare them. especially if someone hasen't read one of the series and has read the other one.
~Mg

Sometimes people give up,
other times they move on,
and sometimes they just stay still.

I turned to the clarinets. They were a resourceful lot.~Jennifer Echols, Major Crush
Reader
prettynpink
0 Kudos

I agree, they're completly dif. Plus with HP the movies started coming out before the series was finished. I know there were more books, but that increased HP's popularity. Non readers were able to enjoy it to. They're both great books, but there's no comparison!!

New User
twilighter1019
0 Kudos

i have strange feelings about this.. let me explain

first, i would like to state that i read both the twilight saga and harry potter series.

i loved hp

i loved twilight

i both like and dont like the comparison between the two authors.

j.k rowling wrote a great series and has over 155 million books in print. the hp series appeals to a larger audience boys, girls, men, woman all ages

stephanie meyer doesnt have nearly as many books in print but to be fair she hasnt been around as long as j.k. and honestly its the younger readers like elementary school students wouldnt be able to relate to twilight the way the could relate to the first and second harry potter books. so j.k has a wider audience

i dont like the comparision because...

HP is not a romance where as twilight is.

its not the same genre.

its not the same writing style either.

j.k does a better job at world building then meyer but meyer provokes powerful emotions with her story telling.

how could one compare apples to oranges. ok they are both a fruit but not the same taste.

heres the positive....

HP  and twilight are both books so that is the only thing j.k rowlings HP  and stephanie meyers twilight saga have in common. imo..

well there is that and... the fact that both authors have created a reading buzz. more young people reading. which is always good.

i also like that stephanie meyer is for americans what j.k rowling is for europe.

both are very talented authors and i hope that they both continue writting.

but i do see how HP fans get upset about the comparison....im torn

Frequent Contributor
imsosorrybutiloveyou
0 Kudos

they're in totally different leagues. both are really good though.
fer sure maybe. fer sure not. fer sure eh. fer sure bomb.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

i love both of them.

to tell you the truth i think i like twilight more just because im a sucker for love stories.

but comparing them is like comparing the exorcist and high school musical.

they have no similarities other than being fantasy and being bestsellers.

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Frequent Contributor
bookfreak5
0 Kudos

yea it really does twilight and harry potter are not even closely related its so dumb plus twilight fans are sooooooooo much koooler lol