Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
backertaper
0 Kudos

eReaders Vs. Actual Books

[ Edited ]

So I have a eReader at the moment, I actually had it for a while. But I'm getting tired of it, so im actually switching back to actual books.

What's your opinion, do your prefer a eReader or Actual Books?

- Miguel G.
Distinguished Correspondent
bobbles918
0 Kudos

Re: eReaders Vs. Actual Books

I LOVE my Nook.  I love the fact that I carry all my books with me at all times.  It's nice that it's so small-when I would carry my books around the book would take up majority of my purse.  That being said sometimes it is nice to read from a book- when I do I realize that I miss the feel of the pages.  But I wouldnt trade my Nook for anything!

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"-Mark Twain
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i love paper books. ive only used a kindle once and while it was lovely-so small and it holds tons of books, etc...the feel, the smell of actually books is just too precious.,..

and i will now stop waxing poetic about books, lol

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
New User
Tryphenakyra
0 Kudos

I agree, there's something about the smell of a new book and the feel of the pages that are almost mandatory for enjoying a good story.  However, I do use the Nook now.  It has its pluses, specifically the ability to carry multiple books without the weight and downloading a book now as opposed to waiting for it to be in stock or shipped.  I'm sure there will come a day when opening a paper book will be completely archaic, but there's just no replacing the ready-for-adventure sense that comes along with it.

Frequent Contributor
MichelleMuto

I like both. Sometimes, an ereader is more convenient. It's certainly easier and faster to download a book than to order online or go to B&N. 

But, there's also nothing like holding a book in my hands, either.

The Book of Lost Souls Being a teen witch has never been more fun. Or trouble.
Don’t Fear the Reaper Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me...~Emily Dickinson 17-yr-old Keely Morrison finds that death isn't any easier than life.
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

I love my NookColor.  I usually read at night so it's nice to be able to see my books without any additional light source and I also love that it's better for the environment.  <3

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Not I.

The reason I read is the story.  If I can be as absorbed into the story on an electronic device which allows me to carry thousands in the weigh/space of less than one, it's a hit.

I don't miss hardcopy books in any way.  I still read my (what little of it I read) non-fiction in hardcover/trade paperback and I find books awkward, uncomfortable, difficult to read one-handed and just, in general, less enjoyable than reading from my NOOK.

I'm currently re-reading the Harry Potter series (for the umpteenth time) and it has taken me two days plus to finish Sorcerer's Stone.  I (in the past) could have done that in one evening.  If it were an ebook, I could do it in one evening.  Since it's a DTB, it's slow going for me.

I can't wait until they're released as ebooks.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

I agree Ya-Ya.  I am hoping that they do release the Harry Potter books as ebooks, but since they haven't yet I'm wondering if they even will.  :smileysad:

I got a bunch of traditional paper books on sale awhile ago and they were all ones I really want to read, but thanks to the format I haven't read a single one yet.  Paper books (especially hardcovers) are just so clumsy to hold and I can't stand creasing the cover either, so it makes it harder to see the inside pages and since I'm so used to my NookColor now I find myself tapping the page trying to get it to turn, I kid you not!  :smileyvery-happy:  I also miss my backlight tremendously. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SandraPants wrote:

I agree Ya-Ya.  I am hoping that they do release the Harry Potter books as ebooks, but since they haven't yet I'm wondering if they even will.  :smileysad: 

You apparently missed the most exciting announcement of the year:  :smileysurprised::smileyvery-happy::smileywink:

Harry Potter ebooks!

We've discussed it here  and here.  Surprisingly, they'll be DRM-free (but watermarked!) and distributed through Overdrive.  

I'm way more excited than I probably should be.

bobbles918
0 Kudos

I was so excited when JK Rowling announced Harry Potter was being released on ebooks.  That's one other thing I hate-not all books are available on ebook

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"-Mark Twain
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants

Oh awesome, finally.  Too bad it wasn't sooner to re-read before the final movie though.

Whisperlynn

Re: eReaders Vs.. Actual Books

I actually have a very practical argument for why I personally protest ereaders:  It might be weird, but I like to map out my reading to an extent.  I like to know my halfway point and how many chapters make that up, and the amount of pages in a chapter will determine whether I read on or go to bed, etc.  So I do a lot of flipping through pages during my reading to keep track of where I'm at and it totally effects my reading speed (i.e. If I only have 100 pgs left or if I'm not even half way).  You just can't do that with ereaders - sure there's the display of page view/page total and most eBooks have a table of contents, but it takes much more effort to toggle between all that and find your way back to the page you're reading, it completely pulls me out of the experience.  And that's the other thing - I also agree with those who say that reading is an "experience" and the stories just don't come to life on a computer screen.  Each of my books has it's own personality and feel. I can't imagine not having books! 

I also am still young and building my collection - contrary to the trend of downsizing for "convenience", I actually love the look of books on display and dream of one day having floor to ceiling wall to wall book shelves.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Whisper-Lynn wrote:

I also am still young and building my collection - contrary to the trend of downsizing for "convenience", I actually love the look of books on display and dream of one day having floor to ceiling wall to wall book shelves.

You won't when you have to move them 7 times in 10 years.  :smileywink:

Whisperlynn

LOL...I also dream of one day owning a home, which I will stay in for a good long while

Contributor
backertaper
0 Kudos

Re: eReaders Vs... Actual Books

I completely agree with you! Theirs something to reading a actual book and being able to see your progress when reading a 100 to 300 page book! Yeah books might be cheaper on a eReader, but its not the same. I don't know if its just me, but I love the smell of new book, I can't do that with a eReader. :smileyhappy:

- Miguel G.
Inspired Contributor
sadie_2151
0 Kudos

I think I like books better. My aunt gave me her old ereader and I used it for awhile and then I switched back to regular books. I like to see how many pages to the next chapter and see when I'm halfway and stuff like that. I also like to let my friends borrow books so I have someone to talk to them about. And plus I like to read during class and it's much easier to hide a book than an ereader (=

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

oh my goodness- yes!

i thought i was in a small group that tracks their progress. i do the same things that whisper_lynn does! and thats just part of the  "expreience"

and i forget who said it but i have a bookcase that is completely filled, except for another 5 books and just looking at all those- it is great, !

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Contributor
PugLove92
0 Kudos

I love my nook so much. Since i got it i habe been reading more. I like my nook more then paper books.
Im a young nook reader!