Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ZombieBessie
0 Kudos

fear is monster

i know this isn't on topic but......

Is anyone like super shy? like you have no friends? and you want to talk to people but you cant? umm like you get an irrational fear. Like you get so scared and your heart starts beating fast?

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Re: fear is monster

ZombieBessie wrote:

i know this isn't on topic but......

Is anyone like super shy? like you have no friends? and you want to talk to people but you cant? umm like you get an irrational fear. Like you get so scared and your heart starts beating fast?

I have the SAME problem. I know how you feel definitely. I have a really hard time meeting people ... that's why I'm on here a lot lol.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

I use to be really shy. But now im only shy when i meet new people or if im in front of a crowd. My cheeks get red and i get embarrsed....thats why i get lost in books...lol
Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

yea, that is how i feel most of the time... which is aminly why i loved to read so much! :smileyhappy:

"We could do pizza."
Contributor
ZombieBessie
0 Kudos

but it sucks im to scared to make friends and i want friends and ima loner :smileytongue:
Inspired Contributor
liv4Him

I used to be, and still kinda am a loner, but not because of shyness.  Regardless, try just saying hi.  Even that can get a conversation started.  It's really intimidating at first, I'd know because I've moved four times in my life.  But you get used to it real fast and soon it becomes easy.
Check out my blog at http://www.rinielsmusings.wordpress.com.
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

I use to be a loner too. I understand. Something to get a conversation going is when you see someone with a great book you read you could be like "Oh i read that book. Do you like it so far?" then you can continue from there. Just find someone that has simular tastes as you and try.
Distinguished Correspondent
BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

yup know exacly how you feel, ive always been shy, but this year ive tried being abit more confident and stuff, and tell me about it, i hate approching people, but dont worry to much once you find someone that you have alot in common with especially reading books! youll click without even realising :smileyhappy:
Wanna know the awesomeness that is moi??? movies, artists, gossip and the latest reviews of your fav books not to mention my upcoming twilight parody that i am currently working on is all here folks!! @ My Blog Fantasy4eva spread the word girls :smileyhappy:
Fantasy4eva
Contributor
Lunanshee
0 Kudos

I'm sorry that you are so shy.  I don't really consider myself shy (somewhat antisocial, but not shy), but I do get uncomfortable when I'm meeting new people.  The thing to keep in mind is that the worst they can do is be mean or rude to you and if that is the case then they aren't people worth associating with anyway. 

You'll find your niche (if it is anything like mine it'll be a bunch of nerd/geeks who are into fantasy and whedon shows).  Just try to make the effort to smile at someone even if you are too shy to actually say "hello" - smiles go a long way.

Wordsmith
Night_Angel
0 Kudos

yep, I've got the same issue, but there are ways to work on it... mainly just walking up to someone and introducing yourself even though you're scared to death...