Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
andrewkeinstein
0 Kudos

newbie.....Books for 13 year old boy

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a boy that just turned 13. I have read all the Harry Potter of course, the Alex Rider series, Wimpy kids.  I find that some of the 9-12 are too young but some of the teens are too old.  There seem to be a lot more out there geared to teen girls.  Any suggestions. I like humour, mystery and some fantasy.

Thanks
Andrew
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

Re: newbie.....Books for 13 year old boy

Check out the Forbidden Doors series. It's by Bill Myers, and its about kids caught up in dealing with cults(the cults try to get them, they fight back). The first book is called The Society

The Cronicles of Narnia is always good.

The Door Within trilogy is about a guy(Aiden) that travels to another world to help battle the forces of evil and save our world at the same time. It's by Wayne Thomas Batson
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

I agree chronicles of Narnia is good. Also A Series of Unfortunate Events might interest you.
Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
Contributor
Chibi-Cat
0 Kudos

If you like fast paced books, you should check out Michael Crichton, the author of Jurassic Park. His books can get pretty gory though, and much more gory than what was portrayed in the movies. But once you read the first few pages, you are hooked. Just be warned: there is a lot of gore, and it is not for people with weak stomachs. Fantasy wise, I enjoyed The Warriors Series, the first book being Into The Wild, also Summerland is a good book with a mix between fantasy and baseball, so if you are a baseball fan, definetely read that.
~Reality is for people with no imagination~
Frequent Contributor
book-aholic25
0 Kudos

I have plenty of suggestions. Narnia and Unfortunate Events are both good. Try Children of the Lamp(series) by P.B. Kerr, Maximum Ride(series) by James Patterson, and Artemis Fowl(series) by Eoin Colfer. They r all really good fantasy series. Well that should keep u busy Andrew.
Reading is the cure to everything. Expecially anger.
Contributor
Chibi-Cat
0 Kudos

Oh yes, Eoin Colfer is a good author, I liked his book The Wish List.
New User
Lolita_the_Tragic

I'm going to go old school for my answer... The Hardy Boys. (Hey, you said mystery!) And while they're not in any of the three categories you mentioned, S.E. Hinton wrote some excellent books with male main characters: The Outsiders, Tex, Rumble Fish, etc.

Yeah, I have streak of androgyny when it comes to reading.
Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

The Hardy boys!! Wow memories. They are good.
Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
Frequent Contributor
jobrolover
0 Kudos

why dont you try reading the Septimus Heap Series. there very interesting.
Don't Judge a book by it's cover because it's the inside that counts.
New User
andrewkeinstein
0 Kudos

Thanks for some of the great suggestions everyone. I have read narnia and Unfortunate Events and loved them.  I am going to try some of the other suggestions.............Keep them coming!
I appreciate it.

Andrew
New User
andrewkeinstein
0 Kudos

Just picked up one of the Forbidden Door books.

Thanks..........keep  them coming!  Alot of time to read in Snow Covered Ontario!!50cm.
Contributor
Chibi-Cat
0 Kudos

It has snowed here lately... but I'm too swamped with homework to read.
Frequent Contributor
Kate_b
0 Kudos

Sieris of Unfounat events is hilarius they cuold be read by a kid or some 90 year-old man and still be enjoyed.
A verey merry un-birthday to you and you. and you is it your un -birthday too?
New User
andrewkeinstein
0 Kudos

Thanks....I just bought The Door Within  books....they look good.

"I never grew up and I never stopped growing"..........Arthur C. Clarke  R.I.P. 2008 ...2001 Space Odyssey
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

no problem, I hope you like them!
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Contributor
TerryReschke
0 Kudos

Andrew;
You might like my teen murder mystery. It is called (The Attic Above). You can find it here on Barnes and Noble. Here is a link to it.

Frequent Contributor
ThatsWhat_YouGet
0 Kudos

Cherub by Robert Muchamore
Eragon by Christopher Paloni (idk how to spell it that may be right)
Guardians of Time (idk who writes them)
WHATEVER YOU DO DONT READ INDO DREAMING!!!! (lol horrible book)

Descriptions:
Cherub- this is a series and as the books progress the boy gets older.  This book is about a British Inelligence agency that uses kids as spys.
Eragon- this book is about a boy named Eragon that finds a dragon egg in the forest.
Guardians of Time- i forgot lol but its a REALLY good series

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:
Just shut up and smile
=)
Frequent Contributor
pandaking95
0 Kudos

cheak out the helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp thred:robothappy:
"i think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the the early worm "

-franklin delano roosevelt (1882-1945)
Contributor
zachwimberly
0 Kudos

i like the author Darren Shan, he has a series called Cirque Du Freak  about vampires,it is really good. maybe you would like that
Frequent Contributor
twilightfan108
0 Kudos

harry potter
narnia
books by the author of rindle
dragon rider
and twilight