Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

"Thirteen Reasons Why" in the NYTimes

Yesterday, the NYTimes had an article about Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.  The novel has remained quite popular, not quite dethroning the Twilight saga :smileywink:, but hanging in there and it will re-enter the YA bestseller list this week.  I've got the book in my pile to read - for those of you that read it, what did you think?
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
AlliD
0 Kudos

Re: "Thirteen Reasons Why" in the NYTimes

Hmmmmm. I liked it in many ways and I can see the appeal for a lot of teens but there was something about it that rubbed me the wrong way.

I guess it was all of the anger the main character had and how it seemed even in death, she had not let go of it. I guess that's the whole point, but I also don't love the idea of leaving behind the legacy the responsibility of your suicide with a group of teenagers. That bummed me out. It just seemed like a really heavy trip to lay on anyone.  

I interviewed Jay Asher this fall ad thought he had a lot of interesting insight and definitely was coming from a good place...

http://books.ypulse.com/2008/07/30/author_spotlight_thirteen_reas.php

New User
FBswimchick060708
0 Kudos

I have come across this book many times but never got the nerve to actually buy it and read it. Although it has caught my eye.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

I'm waiting until it's out in paperback to buy it.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
New User
luvxnxwar
0 Kudos

this book is really really really good.. but it's also a major downer. i'd say keep for a day you can be depressed... lol. it's extremely sad. i cried almost throughout the whole thing.. and i don't usually cry so that's saying a lot. lol.
Frequent Contributor
ashley_42
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed this book.

I bought it and have read it twice.

Its that good.

It has a wonderful lesson in it for teens so I can see how its been in the NY times.

IT tells you to watch what you say and do to people because it does have an impact.

It gets you thinking of your every day actions and others actions and reactions to you and it gets you to understand that you do make a difference in other people's lives. 

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Grr... I want to read this book so bad but I can't find it anywhere but (where else?) B&N, and since the article says it's not out in paperback yet, I don't want to pay up!

But I will read it. I always do.

"Even Supergirl has her kryptonite."

-A quote by moi

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback too. I wonder how long that'll take.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen