Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
17_windows_of_oppurtunity
0 Kudos

reading twilight by force?

im a guy, im being forced to read twilight, i agreed to, only because they would take my critisisms of the book more seriously if ive actually read it. has anyone else been in my position before??

Contributor
hestia
0 Kudos

Re: reading twilight by force?

You're not the only one. I'm getting my masters in English Education, and every other student in my program is reading Twilight and wanting me to read it because "all the kids are doing it." I don't want to. I'm trying to put it off as long as I can. But I know, sooner or later, I'm going to have to.

“My only advice is to stay aware, listen carefully and yell for help if you need it.”

Judy blume
Frequent Contributor
Himeko
0 Kudos

Thats a shame.

No one should be forced to read a book. Especially when its not for a school project.

I'm sorry y'all have to. Even if it is such a mediocre book...

"Defying my will" is not a crime worthy of life in Azkaban and I should not tell that to the first years.

"In all of your acts, self-interest shall be cast away. Look and listen for the welfare of the whole people, and have always in view...the unborn of the future Nation" - The 13 Laws of the Great Peace
Correspondent
KomaJr
0 Kudos

the book is really good but i dont think that you shoulsd have to read the book if you dont whant to

once you learn to read you will be forever freed

********everything has an answer but not all answers are known********
0 Kudos

I won't use the word 'forced,' but as the hype really reached a fever pitch last year just as Breaking Dawn was released and the Twilight movie trailer hit the internet, I did find myself feeling... obligated... as both a bookseller and a librarian, to read the series.

Good gravy Marie, they were awful. And yet it's like rubbernecking at a car crash on the interstate — it's horrible to look at, yet you can't turn away. Even as I recognized which emotional buttons were being blatantly pushed, and even as I kept a running tally of the reasons I hate both Bella and Edward as characters, and despise Meyer as an author, I could not put the books down. :smileysurprised:

Correspondent
Notjustphysical
0 Kudos

Thas crazy and it sucks. Yes i have been forced to read many books i dont like but only from teacher so i suck it up, quit my whining, and do it, but for you to have to read twilight oh that sucks ecspecialy since the movie already came out but hay you might like it youll never know untill you do :smileyhappy:.

~Love is a poison~
Inspired Contributor
KaylaNicole_MusicLover
0 Kudos

that really sucks that you are being "forced" to read it. I mean i liked it, but i wouldnt want to be forced to read anything either.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

sorry, all my friends are like :its such a good book you need to read it... im on pg 16 of twilight and i have been for like 6 months, i just cant get into it u know? the only character i kinda like is jacob...and thats from the movie
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww
0 Kudos

Drop the book and RUN! Please do not be swept into this frenzy. Just run and don't read it if you don't want to.

TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink:
Correspondent
Notjustphysical
0 Kudos

I started to read new moon because the first movie came out and some books after seeing the movie you dont want to read and to me it was one of them i opened the book randomly like out of the blue but then it lost the spark and i put it down and moved on i dont care how good they say they are its one thing to force yourself to read a book and twilight is like 3 normal sized books put together its just not good enough for me to read sorry:smileysad:.

~Love is a poison~
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

nice...well i returned the books...and am just waiting for the movies to come out..theyre pretty good i tihnk, and the books are eh, so y not? btw ravenclaww, have you read the vampoire diaries or the mortal insrument series?...what r ur opinions of them?
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Frequent Contributor
Christinewannabe47
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, no offense to Twilight lovers, but....I'll never read it. I saw the movie, and I know that the movie will always be different than the book and blah de blah...I don't like Twilight. Sorry but I just don't! I like vampires and teen romance and such, it's the SPARKLING/GLITTERING that throws me off! What does the sparkle do? I mean really, why don't you just use the usual "can't go out in the sun because I'll turn to dust" thing and leave it at that. Rather than "can't go out in the sun cause I sparkle"... I'm sorry. That's lame.

My brother read it, and he's in college and a huge vampire buff, and he hated it. He told me not to read it, and I will respect that request because I respect my brother's opinion. And it's all a FAD. Vampires are now a trend. Like wizards and witches. No thanks, I don't like to support fads if I don't want to. Rant FIN.

Correspondent
WriterOfAngels
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

I won't use the word 'forced,' but as the hype really reached a fever pitch last year just as Breaking Dawn was released and the Twilight movie trailer hit the internet, I did find myself feeling... obligated... as both a bookseller and a librarian, to read the series.

Good gravy Marie, they were awful. And yet it's like rubbernecking at a car crash on the interstate — it's horrible to look at, yet you can't turn away. Even as I recognized which emotional buttons were being blatantly pushed, and even as I kept a running tally of the reasons I hate both Bella and Edward as characters, and despise Meyer as an author, I could not put the books down. :smileysurprised:

How can you hate Stephanie Meyer JR?

Write On!

WOA

Kitty will attack anything that moves,
Causing trouble, starting battles just so he can be a part of
He’s the meanest little kitty so we named him Sparta!
~ Mean Kitty Song (smpfilms, I own nothing.)
New User
dimsomes
0 Kudos

I wasn't exactly forced until I actually started reading it. My friend suggested it and I turned it down. Even though she said "I didn't think I'd like it but it's so different and interesting! It's really good" But I turned her down, and then my other friend suggested it, she reads alot and are personalities are sorta similar so I agreed to read it, especially when she put the book in my hands. So I started reading it and that's when the forcing came in. After all the touching and sniffing that they do for chapters in a row I was done. But I felt bad if I gave the book back to my friend without finishing it so I forced myself to go through it. The cheesy lines and the sparkling! I wanted him to at least burn or change color but sparkle! And then more touching! Like C'mon. So once I finished the book I was glad. But yeah I said forget reading the others and just heard the gist of the rest of the books. The other books seem interesting but after the first one I'm done. I shall never force myself to do such a thing ever again!

Frequent Contributor
Christinewannabe47
0 Kudos

JL you're my hero by the way. Haha. I know dim, I was waiting for him to like...have a seizure in the sun, but all he did was sparkle! uggghhhhhhhh.....so dissapointing really.

New User
beatles_chick_1940
0 Kudos

I'm not a Twilight fan. However, you shouldn't read a book if you just want to criticize it, unless you are a literary critic. It's irritating to the people around you if they like the book and you're just shooting them down.

Frequent Contributor
Jess25
0 Kudos

I was forced to read it by my younger siblings. I am 26 and will be forever grateful because it brought back my love of books. It isn't my favorite but it is an easy read and I remembered how much I love reading I have read 66 books since I was Forced to read twilight lol--------Jess

Frequent Contributor
disneygirl1195
0 Kudos

That stinks. I'm was twilight fan before the movies came out, but i have friends who don't like the series/movies. You shouldn't be forced to read the books if you don't want to. Besides, to me, it's book loved more by girls than a guys (no offense to the men out there who like twilight). SORRY! Hopefully you'll survive through it and they'll listen to your critisims about it