Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
sewmuch26
0 Kudos

suggestsions for books for 5th and 6th graders or 11-14 year olds

hello
can anyone give me suggestions for best books for ages 11-14 year olds boys and girls and for 5th and 6th graders.
i appreciate it
thanks
New User
Kaki6
0 Kudos

Re: suggestsions for books for 5th and 6th graders or 11-14 year olds

My 10 year old daughter & I just read a new book "Schooled" about a
boy who has been homeschooled by his grandmother. She has an accident &
he has to start middle school & is the target of some bullies. This book
is wonderful. Laugh out loud hilarity & a well thought out plot make this
title enjoyable for anyone 10+. My daughter also enjoyed "Gossamer"
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

I liked the book called Love Rules. sort of love story, sort of not, so its more girly. Warriors saga, Chronicles of Narnia, Spiderwick Chronicles, The Door Within, The Door in the Dragon's Throat, Harry Potter
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
New User
sheashea8
0 Kudos

The Warriors series(Erin Hunter), The Golden Goblet(Eloise Jarvis McGraw), Crash(Jerry Spinelli), and Survivng the Applewhites(Stephanie S. Tolan).
These are all really good books.
I read and loved them all!
:]]
:]]
I love reading!!!
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Re: suggestions for books for 5th and 6th graders or 11-14 year olds

I have found that the children in our school including mine is really into reading American Chillers and Michigan Chillers. These two series seem to attract both boys and girls alike. I personally have not read them as I am not into chiller type books. I do talk with my child about them and she said that they are not gross and she hasn't read any that has killings in them. She says they really aren't too scary.
The author, Johnathan Rand, lives in Michigan and plans to write 1 American Chiller book for each state. The Michigan Chiller books take place in different cities/towns within Michigan. He incorporates some facts about each state/town within his writing. Example: Iron Insects of Indiana takes place along a river in Elkhart, Indiana. He talks a little about the town and explains that it is known as the Instrument City as it is the home of Conn-Selmer music instruments. I think it is great that an author is able to tie in some factual information with their story.
I know that my child likes his books so much I have looked into his website on line at a writing camp that he provides each year. He holds two a year one is for 10 to 12 year olds (I think) and the other is for 13 and up. (I might have my ages off a bit) The camp is 4 days, 3 nights and is for children who is serious about writing.
Some other books that my daughter has enjoyed are: Spiderwick, The Nobodies, Dear America books (these are fictional books based on real history set up in journal entries. Great for students who like to learn some things about history. They read quickly my daughter has read a few and has really enjoyed them. She received one about the Titanic for Christmas.) I remember reading Call of the Wild and really enjoying it. Of all the required reading in school I think that this was my favorite. That age group for girls I would recommend Judy Blume books. There are so many great ones that she has written. Another book that my daughter picked up and read in a day and a half was Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I heard her laugh a lot while reading it so it must have been pretty humorous. I remember loving Hardy Boys while I grew up. Another series of mystery books that were great were Trixie Beldon books. They too were mystery books. I never read the complete series but know that they were out of print for a very long time but came back about a year or 2 ago.

love4books
New User
sewmuch26
0 Kudos

Thank You "Sew" Much
I am a 5th and 6th grade Langauge Arts teacher. This grade level is a new assignment and I desparately want to get them interested in reading!!
Thanks Again
Susan
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Gingerbread - Rachel Cohn
Heir Apparent - Vivian Vande Velde

Yeah...I wasn't that much of a "teen-reader" ever. So that's all I have. I could give you books I read in 6th grade, however I don't think you'd want me to. :smileywink:
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

Try Little House and Narnia.
Frequent Contributor
bookbug
0 Kudos

daughters of the moon by Lynne Ewing.

Its a series and really good.

bookbug
Bookbug

The more you read, the smarter you are!!!!!
Frequent Contributor
lovely_for_now
0 Kudos

a series of unfortunate events (:
"We refuse praise in order to be praised twice."
-François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
Frequent Contributor
meggie
0 Kudos

keys to the kingdom series
narnia
harry potter
inkheart
inkspell
inheritence triology
young wizards series

Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

The Among the hidden books. There amazing. Its one of the first series I read that I wanted to reread. There by Margret Peterson Haddix.

Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
Contributor
twilightluverJF
0 Kudos

luv tht b00k

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Talk about a blast from the past!  This thread is soooooo old.  But many of these books were sooooooo good!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.