Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

the characters you read about in books, do you like them for what they do? Or for who they are?

i'm going to go with, who they are because a character can do the cooklist things but if i  don't like the character then i don't care if he cool.:smileytongue:
Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~
Distinguished Correspondent
Luna93

Re: the characters you read about in books, do you like them for what they do? Or for who they are?

definitly for who they r. :smileyhappy:
All I want is for you to be happy
And take this moment and make you my family
And finally you have found someone perfect
Finally you have found
~RHCP
Bibliophile
Silvermist24

Re: the characters you read about in books, do you like them for what they do? Or for who they are?

I like them mostly for who they are inside but, i also LOVE sassy characters. They liven up the story, make it more intersting and I love snappy lines.
Baby you can drive my car,
Yes I'm gonna be a star,
Baby you can drive my car,
And Baby I love you,
Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yea!
Inspired Correspondent
SabrinaSunlight

Sassy characters are awesome! I can kinda relate(: and mostly for what they do.(:
Wordsmith
twilightfann

I definitely like characters for who they are. That makes them relatable and likeable. But in a way, the two are kind of similar. What kind of person the character is defines what they do, and that's what makes the story interesting. =)
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Correspondent
Wolfgirl22
0 Kudos

Well, it's kinda a hard pick for me. Like, it's so cool what they can do, but it makes a difference for who they are.....so I guess I have to say who they are
http://psykhe22.blogspot.com/
http://psykhe22-challenge.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Wordsmith
BeeZnEEz101
0 Kudos

personally i think what the characters do make them who they are so basically i dnt kno but thats my opinion
Frequent Contributor
ilovesuperheros
0 Kudos

hahh i guess both really i like for how they are and who they are. and sometimes i wish they were real
Wordsmith
Night_Angel
0 Kudos

A mixture of both. What they do often reflects who they are. 
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

I also have a mixture. I tend to lean towards certain charachters (like the sexy bad boy vampire type) but also the ones who can kick some butt, and are sweet, and stuff so pretty much both.

step through my looking glass at calamityplease.blogspot.com and it'd be ever so thoughtful and kind of you to follow me. :smileywink: Also I have a new contests of sorts on said blog concerning THE VAMPIRE ACADEMY by Richelle Mead. So check it out.
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

I would definetly say that I like characters for who they are, but also for how they are. I love charachters who are real but in ways that are almost heroic. Since characters' actions are tools used to describe what kind of person they are I really pay attention to the ones who have good morals but also may act out of anger or sadness because thats how we all act when confronted with a tough situation. 
"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra