Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
archer_girl
0 Kudos

tired of predictable reads. any suggestions?

[ Edited ]

I'm 16 year old female and i've been a pretty avid reader for 4 years since i first read "forever" by Judy Blume. My problem is that most of the books are too predictable. I enjoy the teen romance books but whenever i enter a bookstore i tend to find that majority of the books are predictable: girl dates boy. they fight. they reaize they can't live without each other. the end.

I enjoyed Crank, Glass, Burned, and every other books by that author.

Meg Cabot is a favorite of mines when i want a romantic story, ditto for Sarah Dessen.

I'm not very into supernatural books, which i why i originally didn't want to read the Twilight series but that series was enjoyable. 

I want to read some more books that keep me so engrossed in the book that i feel lost when it is over. 

Are there any good books that you know of that don't have such airheaded, predictable characters and plots?

If you have any manga titles, i enjoy that too. But it seems that Midnight Secretary, Maid-sama, Kaikan Phrase, Love Celeb, Haou Airen, Love Strip, Ren-ai shijou shugi, and Hana Kimi were the only noteworthy mangas. Fruits Basket, Skip Beat, and Ouran High School Host Club are cute as well.

Message Edited by archer_girl on 02-23-2009 12:25 PM
I'd like something out of the ordinary. Come on authors, give me something to want to read! Be my competition, fellow authors! Don't follow trendsbecause you think people want to read that! Impact my life withyour writing! Give me a story i'll remember for life!

Make it interesting,
Lize
Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Re: tired of predictable reads. any suggestions?

Finally!  I hard challenge.  Lol. 

Well I definatley recomend Watchmen and V for Vendetta or rather anything by Alan Moore.  Watchmen is a MUST though.  

-The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding

-Evernight by Claudia Gray

-Eon:  Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman

-Skinned by Robin Wasserman

-Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

-Fulltilt by Neil Shushterman

-Life as We Knew it Susan Beth Pfeffer

-Madapple by Christina Meldrum

-Wake by Lisa McMann

-Sunshine by Robin McKinley

-Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

-Graceling by Kristin Cashore

-Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

All very awesome books, and not totally predictable.  Hope that helped.  If you want any more suggestions just check out my library.  :smileyvery-happy:

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
xojewlzx012
0 Kudos

identical is by the same author that wrote crank, glass & burned, ellen hopkins. Identical is rele rele rele good, & the ending is a COMPLETE shock
" I'm completly capable of driving myself home!"
Of course she was but i wasn't capabale of letting her go
- bella & edward, midnight sun ♥
New User
archer_girl
0 Kudos

hmm, i'll definetly look up you suggestions. they sound interesting since i haven't heard of most of them.   thanks for the list :smileyhappy:
I'd like something out of the ordinary. Come on authors, give me something to want to read! Be my competition, fellow authors! Don't follow trendsbecause you think people want to read that! Impact my life withyour writing! Give me a story i'll remember for life!

Make it interesting,
Lize
New User
archer_girl
0 Kudos

identical truly did give a shock in the end, but it threw me off. made me think that the character was in two places at once.

Make it interesting,
Lize
Inspired Contributor
MadamedeChevreuse
0 Kudos

You should definitely try Tamora Pierce's books! They are not like most teen books out there and they have great chracaters and plots. She has tons of books, but either Trickster's Choice or Terrier is probably best to start with.

Also, Graceling by Kristin Cashore, The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, and The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak are all wonderful, wonderful reads!

So, list...

Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce

Terrier by Tamora Pierce

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

The Book Thief by MarcusZusak 

Good luck finding books! 

A book is like a mirror: If an idiot peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out.
Contributor
kenzizzle
0 Kudos

well, since you enjoyed twilight, i'm going to suggest another vampire series...but its definitely not like twilight...at all. there is a whole different concept to the vampires. anyways....

they're called the vampire academy novels by richelle mead. the first one is vampire academy, the second is frostbite, and the third is shadow kiss and they are totally awesome.

the private series by kate brian are good as well. they're not sci-fi or anything, and they're similar to the gossip girl series, but way better in my opinion. they have a bunch of twists and turns and one can read them fairly quickly.

hope these suggestions help!

-kenzie-
Frequent Contributor
cruorem_pluvia
0 Kudos

I think that The Book Thief would be good.
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

It is.  It's really amazing.  I like I am the Messenger as well, which is by the same author. 
"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Frequent Contributor
imsosorrybutiloveyou
0 Kudos

lush by natasha friend is good

speak by laura anderson (i think laura, laurie, cant remember)

fer sure maybe. fer sure not. fer sure eh. fer sure bomb.
Frequent Contributor
hayleylynnv
0 Kudos

the host  is great but it is kinda like a supernatural book but it is really good i cant explain it to u caus ethen i probablyy ruin the book but you should deff check the HOst out!!!
We are young
We have heart
Born in this world as it all falls apart
We are strong
We don't belong
~Hollywood Undead~
Frequent Contributor
hayleylynnv
0 Kudos

oh!! i totallyy forgot a book just read that was amzing it is like one of my fav books its called SAVING ZOE i bet you willl love this boook its about a girl who died and her life before nad her boyfriends and stuuff. its like all bout high school and everyhting its in the sister's point of view !! but it is amazing!!! you will deff love this book!!!
We are young
We have heart
We are strong
We don't belong
~Hollywood Undead~