Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Sarasvati

twilight. . . not what you think.

hey guys, im a major Harry Potter fan and that reall  has nothing to do with this. lol. honestly i dont undersatnd the hype behind the twilight series . ???

somone told me it was like harry potter and the only similarities is that they are bothe fiction ... i dont think the books were written very well. as a matter of fact i think they suck if you were tto take thte books and cut out all the usless junk r no need for stuff thats waht i call them you would have a 100 page book.

Wordsmith
Night_Angel

Re: twilight. . . not what you think.

the books really aren't worth all the hype. I was really into them when I was younger but they're poorly written and I'm pretty sure most teenagers could've written it better. 
Inspired Scribe
djaq

long live harry potter!!

plz jk rowling is so much more talented than meyers is! i read twilight and it was ok until page 150 when i was still sitting there, waitin for some plot to develope! and the plot itself turned out to be weak, and quickly resolved, and there was nothing creative about the premise at all. if you look, you will find that there are many other books about girls falling for vampires that were much more well done than any books in the twilight saga were!

sparkling vampires?

honestly!

poor bram stolker must be rolling in his grave!

"We could do pizza."
Inspired Contributor
Sarasvati

lol djaq we could be like besties first the olympians now potter. i think meyers saw the hype behind making money i dont think she apreciates the work behind words, honestly the only people i see reading her stuff is the " i want to be diffrent but now considered weird" group. lol

Bibliophile
Silvermist24

I love the Olypains! And I read Dracula be Bram Stoker.
Baby you can drive my car,
Yes I'm gonna be a star,
Baby you can drive my car,
And Baby I love you,
Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yea!
Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

i have also read dracula!! isnt great!! lol i loved that book.

"We could do pizza."
Correspondent
plaidfroggie

There is a discussion on a site based on a comment that Stephen King made about the fact that Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn.  It is highly amusing to see the twilight fans writing text speak, using no punctuation and grammar that would make an English teacher keel over defending Meyer's series.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/books/blog/2009/02/stephen_king_stephenie_meyer_c.html

It is actually pretty entertaining especially the comments by Josh.  I agree that Meyer's writing is terrible and can't really understand the appeal.  She probably stole from just about every "vampire romance" writer and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, yet there are people who think King is wrong.  Meyer wouldn't understand continuity if it came up and bit her on the behind, yet she managed to drag this crappy romance out over the span of 4 books.  I find the most disturbing part the fact that so many are exclusively reading her books and can't open their minds enough to consider any other authors.  They just keep re-reading her crappy books.

I have not read the Olympians.  What did you like about that book?

Be careful the rabid Twilight fans might try to bite you and spread the madness.  Or at least invade your thread trying to convince you that you are blind to what a great romance story it is.  Good luck with your thread.  It is refreshing to see some people are immune to Meyer Madness.

Inspired Scribe
djaq

I love Percy Jacskon and the Olympians!

It is sad, because not only is the writing quality poor, and yet thousands of readers have become *obsessed* with these saga, but the wrost part [in my opion] is the fact that she still remains #1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

Actually, i'm not quite sure how much truth was in my latter statement, but i am pretty sure she is still pretty high up on the bestseller list.... it is very dissapointing because she is not nearly as talented as many other authors out there, and doesnt deserve so much publisity. [uh spellcheck???] publicity! there we go.... lol

"We could do pizza."
Contributor
ShyStar
0 Kudos

twilight is actually great .. well except the movie ... sum ppl actually lyk d details and stuff lyk dat ... n its not really useless

n in my opinion harry potter SuckeD .... aways about harry n its lyk u no harry is goin b chosen the central of attention which takes away the excitment .. NO POINT IN DAT ....

the past is the past
what happened in it stays in it
if it comes out, theres a reason
Frequent Contributor
michaela27

In my opinion, and in many other people's opinions, Harry Potter is amazing because J.K. Rowling is obviously an amazing writer.  Her stories are extremely exciting and she makes them almost believable.  I know what everyone means about Meyers not being a good writer, she certainly can't compare to someone like Rowling but I still liked her books a lot.  She may not be a good writer but I think she is a good storyteller.  But I like to read all kinds of books, not just vampire/fantasy books.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

I'm a Twilight fan and I speak in proper punctuation. There may be times when I don't know how to spell a certain word, but it's not like I'm writing a book or anything ... I'm just on a forum. I think people have to understand that not EVERY Twilight fan has the time to be on the internet constantly arguing about Twilight. There are a lot of busy Twilight fans that go out and don't sit on the computer all day. So you probably shouldn't judge the Twilight fanbase by some girls that type in IM. Oh, and just an FYI, I am on the internet a lot so you shouldn't consider what I said as an insult.

Anyways, I love how Stephenie Meyer writes. It's so different because it's so personal and makes me feel things that other books never made me feel. Harry Potter comes in close second ... but it just doesn't give me the feeling that Twilight does. I just connect with the characters like they're my best friends. I like how she describes everything, how she writes about Edward the exact way Bella feels about him. She doesn't hold anything back and I love it. If you're in love with someone, don't hide it. I hate how couples play those games like "hard to get" and such. Don't get me wrong, strong women are good role models, but so are honest women.

Sorry if I kind of confused you ... I had to get up extremely early today so there isn't much energy left in me lol.

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Inspired Contributor
Sarasvati
0 Kudos

no offense shystar but anyone who can sit and read through her book and like it can not call them selves a true reader. its CRAP. no offense
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Excuse me? Did you really just say that? People have opinions, some will differ from yours. Just because you think it's crap doesn't mean it actually is. I think you need to grow up ... a lot. I think the "no offense" was pretty pointless, because what you said did hold offense. You just called every Twilight fan out there a false reader. I love to read and just because I like a book that you don't, doesn't mean that I'm not a true reader. Wow ... just ... wow.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

Sarasvati,

I can see that no one followed my link, so I am going to post Josh's challenge here for the "rabid" Twilight fans.  The ones who do speak in text talk and blindly insist it is good writing.  Those who don't admit that the entire series of books could be cut in half if Meyer wasn't insulting a reader's intelligence by constant repetition of how HOT Edward is are probably skim reading or irrationally in love with Edward.

Josh's challenge on Read Street is this:  If you have read the Twilight book, please point out the reason Bella is in love with Edward.  The first time he meets her, he wants to murder her.  He disappears for a week.  Then when he returns he saves her life, but ignores her for about a month.  Now if you say they are in love because he saved her life, then firefighters and cops must get a heck of a lot of action because they save people's lives everyday.  There are many attractive cops, firefighters and doctors and by Meyer's reasoning they must be so busy fighting off people in lust with them that they have no time to do their jobs. 

For those saying you see all of Bella's thoughts?  Explain why they are simply about lust?  How gorgeous Edward is.  The frequent mention of his appearance only explains sexual attraction.  He is a predator who even smells good to his prey according to Meyer.  None of that begins to explain a lasting relationship that would make someone willing to risk her life for a vampire that wants to eat her.

When she finds out the mystery of Edward is the fact that his is a vampire, she should have realized he is dangerous and stayed away given that she was only attracted to his appearance.  When she gets proof he is stalking her to the point where he climbs into her window to watch her sleep at night, she is the daughter of a cop and should be thinking: "if only he weren't a vampire I would get a restraining order."

The story itself had potential.  I will grant Meyer that, she had the potential to write one very good book.  If she had actually written a reason beyond sexual attraction for their relationship, if she had written less about Bella cooking dinner and more about substantial things, then she could have wrapped the entire series up in one very good book that I would have liked.  However Stephen King is correct, Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn.

The story lacks a real plot.  There are so many inconsistancies you could drive a truck through the plot holes.  She really doesn't have a clue regarding continuity in her series.  I personally believe anyone defending Breaking Dawn doesn't care about continuity or a good story.  It is a disgusting book that is only surprising because Meyer does not follow the guidelines for vampires she herself established.  Her books up until the disgusting Breaking Dawn monstrosity are completely predictable to anyone with reading experience as she doesn't include any original plotlines.

A writer with actual skill could have done great things with the Twilight book.  Meyer herself admits the writing isn't very good.  She wrote herself into the books.  When she tried to get it published, she should have cared about the craft of writing enough to rewrite it and make it better.  She was after all a Literature major.  If she actually respects books she would have written something decent.  I see people on Read street that are not rabid, and they admit the books are essentially a fluff read.  People let their 9 and 10 year old daughters read these books.  This should indicate that they are not a challenging read at all.

For someone who says that Harry Potter has no surprises because Harry Potter is the main character.  Well gee his name is in the title and even though he is the main character he is a very well developed character as are most of Rowling's characters and Rowling's books are surprising in their plot twists.  Edward is not a well developed character, none of Meyer's characters are multifaceted.  The only thing that Bella demonstrates is that she is a plot device that shows unwavering stupidity in the face of danger.  Can the Harry Potter critic claim she was surprised by anything in the first 3 books in the Twilight series?

In one book, Twilight, Meyer has Edward save Bella three times.  If that is not taking the "damsel in distress" theme to an unheard of extreme to you, then show me any other book out there where it happens three times in one book.  Bella is a damsel in distress in all four books until the very end of Breaking Dawn where she experiences the only change her character undergoes in the entire series.  She becomes a super vamp.

Don't even begin to tell me that Bella and Edward show great sacrifice for each other's happiness.  Meyer might tell us that Bella is brave, a compassionate person and unselfish, but the text does not support what Meyer "tells" us.  Edward runs off in New Moon and Bella shows that she can't function without a man in her life by latching onto Jacob and exhibits major signs of mental illness.  Bella is the epitome of clingy anti-feminist garbage and a user.

Many teens might like the books because they show the main character being "smarter" than her parents.  She flaunts rules.  She circumvents her grounding by letting Edward creep into her window so she can make out with him until she falls asleep.  Bella might not care about the correct shade of lipstick or clothing, but she is as has been stated on other sites a major Mary Sue character.  She has no real depth.  I actually read a bit of fan fic so that I could honestly agree with what I read on Read Street and other sites.  There is fan fiction that has more substance than Meyer's books.  Not only that, but many of the fan fiction writers develop their stories and characters much more effectively.

Now I don't want to see responses that Edward is so "Hot".  I want to see quotes from the books that demonstrate the great love story.  They aren't there though.  I know when I read Twilight I immediately re-read the book because I thought, gee I must have been in a coma from the bad writing and repeated references to Edward's appearance and missed the actual love story.  It just isn't there people.  It is a lust story with a girl who is attracted to what someone on Read Street described as a supermodel that sparkles.  Edward is Superman without the tights and drinks animal blood.

In case you believe that I am incapable of suspension of disbelief, that is not true.  I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and read about supernatural beings all the time.  However those of you who believe that beings that are described to be marble, stonelike creatures can mate are nuts.  In fact if Edward were incapable of the act, it would have actually shown that he was capable of a pure love and that Bella would have to make a sacrifice because she would have been stuck with something like Michelangelo's David, unable to have a physical relationship because of an unchanging body.

The movie did suck.  Then again it was based on a book that is plotless drivel.  The whole concept of the books is to drool incessantly over Edward's appearance.  The reason that most rabid Twilight fans are disappointed in the movie is Meyer described an impossible male lead who is impossible to find in real life.  They probably also hate the fact that with an actual actress in place as Bella it makes it more difficult for themselves to self-insert.  The actors couldn't work with the material because a movie needs a character with more than one dimension and a plot that isn't primarily drooling over someone attractive.

New User
LilDiva16
0 Kudos

There nothing wrong with Twilight. I am a big fan of Twilight. Yes the movie wasny so good but the book are great. when i read twilight it made me feel really good even if i had a bad day. i think mostly girl would love this and the guy probably think it terrible. twilight have suprise and even it made me cry. i don't like reading harry potter but i love watching the movie.

Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

ok...wow...

i didnt realize how strongly people felt against twilight...

personaly, i dont like the books becasue i thought meyer's saga lacked in plot, or real characters. And when I say "real" I am not refering to the fact that the story deals in vampire romance. I mean that some of the characters don't really have enough depth in them to make them believable or likeable.

When you think about it, Stephenie could have really pulled it off. A story about a teen who falls for an immortal vampire... her only flaw was not only has that been done before, but she didn't do a great job in the actual construction of the story itself. Her writing all in all, wasn't that great.

And as much as I don't like the books, Meyer's fans shouldn't exactly be steriotyped [spell check???] as poor readers who only enjoyed the series because "Edward is HOT!" My younger cousin asoultly hated reading, until she picked up Twilight. Although the books lacked in everything I stated above, my cousin saw that reading is "fun." 

I'm not saying that Twilight is for readers who are not at a high level! Because tons of my friends who love these book, have an extremely high reading level!

Ok, so Twilight isn't "My cup of tea..." but that doesn't mean that people who read the series are stupid.

ok so that rant basically solved nothing... but i had to let that out... sorry you had to suffer through that...  

"We could do pizza."
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

djaq wrote:

ok...wow...

personaly, i dont like the books becasue i thought meyer's saga lacked in plot, or real characters. And when I say "real" I am not refering to the fact that the story deals in vampire romance. I mean that some of the characters don't really have enough depth in them to make them believable or likeable.

When you think about it, Stephenie could have really pulled it off. A story about a teen who falls for an immortal vampire... her only flaw was not only has that been done before, but she didn't do a great job in the actual construction of the story itself. Her writing all in all, wasn't that great.

And as much as I don't like the books, Meyer's fans shouldn't exactly be steriotyped [spell check???] as poor readers who only enjoyed the series because "Edward is HOT!" My younger cousin asoultly hated reading, until she picked up Twilight. Although the books lacked in everything I stated above, my cousin saw that reading is "fun." 

I'm not saying that Twilight is for readers who are not at a high level! Because tons of my friends who love these book, have an extremely high reading level!

Ok, so Twilight isn't "My cup of tea..." but that doesn't mean that people who read the series are stupid.

ok so that rant basically solved nothing... but i had to let that out... sorry you had to suffer through that...  

Thank you! What you just said made me like you like 5x more than I did before ... even though I don't even know you haha.

- Edward Cullen
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob

Okay, is this outragous or what?! I don't like Twilight, but I haven't thought about burning my copy. (that would be really mean to the trees!) It's not like it's the worst thing ever! I know I've bashed Twilight before..., but I usually only bash it when I'm mad so I take it out on something I don't like...I'm weird, I know. Why do a lot of you guys hate the book THAT much?! It's a little psycho. Also, when people use the "texting" thing for posts they might be in hurry or are just used to it. I know people who use it that love or hate Twilight. Please calm down! It's just a book...

"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

shesaxsensation wrote:

djaq wrote:

ok...wow...

Thank you! What you just said made me like you like 5x more than I did before ... even though I don't even know you haha.

Thank you!...erm I guess... hah

"We could do pizza."
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Haha well I was expecting you to agree with how Twilight books should be burned and all of that crazy stuff. But you didn't, so it was a nice surprise! Lol.

- Edward Cullen