Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
Posts: 968
Registered: ‎09-24-2006
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and to share your first impressions of The Almost Moon.
Reader
KimberlyW
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello. Im Kimberly. Just wanted to say hello. Cant wait to discuss this book!
New User
Makswife
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, I am Rebecca, I just purchased this book and cannot wait to dig into it! I love this author!
New User
rally01
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, I'm also Rebecca and I have started reading this book. Can't wait for discussion. I haven't read Lovely Bones and I haven't read very many good reviews about her new book but I am willing to give it a shot!
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

rally01 wrote:
Hi, I'm also Rebecca and I have started reading this book. Can't wait for discussion. I haven't read Lovely Bones and I haven't read very many good reviews about her new book but I am willing to give it a shot!




Good grief, I go by Becke but of course I'm Rebecca, too. Ibis, please don't tell me you're a Rebecca in real life, too, or that Kim is a nickname for Rebecca, or I'm going to think something weird is going on!

Message Edited by becke_davis on 10-26-2007 12:57 PM

Message Edited by becke_davis on 10-26-2007 02:07 PM
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎11-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Becke, that's a scream --- this will be the discussion of Becke, Rebecca, and Becky.

No, I'm not a Rebecca! Beautiful name.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
suetu
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎08-10-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi,

I'm Susan. I'm a 38-year-old graduate school administrator and freelance editor who lives in San Francisco with a cat named Weasel.

I enjoy participating in these discussions, but have found it very hard to find the time, lately. I hope to join in to some of the discussions of The Almost Moon, because I read a galley of it several months ago and LOVED it. Definitely one of the best books I'll read this year. I know the reviews have been mixed, but I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I did!
Susan
_________________
To join Bookcrossing to release books into the wild and catch wild books: http://members.bookcrossing.com/r/d6734128716f102a8555
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



suetu wrote:
Hi,

I'm Susan. I'm a 38-year-old graduate school administrator and freelance editor who lives in San Francisco with a cat named Weasel.

I enjoy participating in these discussions, but have found it very hard to find the time, lately. I hope to join in to some of the discussions of The Almost Moon, because I read a galley of it several months ago and LOVED it. Definitely one of the best books I'll read this year. I know the reviews have been mixed, but I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I did!


I wonder why the reviews were so desperate to tear this book apart. Yes, it's pretty depressing to start with but it sure creates an atmosphere and sucks you in from the very first line. I'm glad we have at least one person who liked the book. I am still reading, so can't voice an opinion yet.
New User
dianawp
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, I'm Diana. I've read Lucky and The Lovely Bones as well as the Almost Moon. Loved all of them, although I found The Almost Moon quite different. I was surprised by the Oregonian's (unfavorable) review of it, and noted that it was written by a man. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure many men can understand the intense relationship between a mother, especially a mentally ill mother, and a daughter.

I was incredibly impressed by the depiction of the mother. She was vivid and alive to me. Some of the other chararcters were less so.

My overall impression of Seybold and her books is that she has a wonderful grasp on the nature of grief in families. I was really struck by this in the Lovely Bones and even in Lucky, her memoir. I also love that she writes about what so many people consider unspeakable. Yet rape and murder do happen. And the fallout comprises silent and isolated cities of grief. Bravo to Seybold for reaching out to us, her readers.
Contributor
Debrachris
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎10-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

First of all my name is not Rebecca - I'm Debbie and I kind of jumped into this discussion ( I was originally discussing The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox) because I enjoyed "Almost Moon" more than "Vanishing Act" but that's not saying a whole heck of a lot. Neither was outstanding. I appreciate that Sebold has tackled a very difficult and trenchant topic: the quality of life question and the elderly. Many people are facing this dilemma (elderly parents); I did over the past 4 years and it is really, really difficult. So for that reason, I found the book interesting.

One comment: Did she have to break Mom's nose?!? Somehow that made it all the more unpleasant!
Regards, Debbie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



Debrachris wrote:
First of all my name is not Rebecca - I'm Debbie and I kind of jumped into this discussion ( I was originally discussing The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox) because I enjoyed "Almost Moon" more than "Vanishing Act" but that's not saying a whole heck of a lot. Neither was outstanding. I appreciate that Sebold has tackled a very difficult and trenchant topic: the quality of life question and the elderly. Many people are facing this dilemma (elderly parents); I did over the past 4 years and it is really, really difficult. So for that reason, I found the book interesting.

One comment: Did she have to break Mom's nose?!? Somehow that made it all the more unpleasant!




I gather from reading some interviews with Sebold that she may have observed a similar co-dependent kind of relationship with her elderly grandmother and her mom. Maybe this book was her way of dealing with her personal feelings about that. I did get the feeling that Sebold was intentionally making Helen as unlikable as possible. When she was trying to give her some elements of "niceness" I felt that she was insincere, and it made me dislike Helen even more. She seemed so disconnected from everyone in her life, even from herself. All the frustration Helen felt for her mother, I felt for Helen.

I consider it a good book in that the author was able to suck me into her imagined universe, but let me tell you, I was anxious to get the heck out of there. I felt like Helen's personality was a kind of black hole, sucking up all the color and emotion around her. I keep envisioning her mother's braid "throbbing" on the bed before she cut it up and flushed it. I don't know why, but that image just gives me the creeps.

On the surface, the book was about the whole caring for the elderly issue, but on another level, I feel like if Helen hadn't had her mother to obsess over, she would have transferred those feelings to her daughters, to Jake, to Hamish, to her father. . .but, oh wait, she sort of did, anyway. I just didn't like Helen, and it was hard for me to get past that. All I could see at the end was how disaster followed in her wake, and how it was inevitably going to KEEP following everyone whose lives touched hers.
New User
AbbieHalpin
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎11-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, I'm Abbie, from Ireland. I'm new to this bookclub and really looking forward to being able to share thoughts on reading. I haven't read any Alice Sebold before, just bought "The Almost Moon" yesterday and began it last night. I'm finding it gripping.
I'm not going to read any more posts until I've read the book completely for myself, but I'll be back then to join in.
Have a great weekend.
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



AbbieHalpin wrote:
Hi, I'm Abbie, from Ireland. I'm new to this bookclub and really looking forward to being able to share thoughts on reading. I haven't read any Alice Sebold before, just bought "The Almost Moon" yesterday and began it last night. I'm finding it gripping.
I'm not going to read any more posts until I've read the book completely for myself, but I'll be back then to join in.
Have a great weekend.




I will be eager to hear your thoughts on this provocative book!
Contributor
jen327
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎12-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi! I'm Jenny and I can't wait to discuss the book!
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi Jenny -- this is an ongoing discussion. It was pretty busy when we started out but it's quiet now. I'd love to hear your thoughts about the book. Take a look at some of the questions I've posted and respond to any that sound interesting to you.
Frequent Contributor
ploabhawes
Posts: 69
Registered: ‎12-10-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi! I am Lisa and within 20-30 pages of finishing this book. Is anyone still here? :smileywink: I struggled with the story initially but after awhile I got pulled into it. I should finish the story tonight so I'll pop back in to see what has been posted by those who have already finished it.
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



ploabhawes wrote:
Hi! I am Lisa and within 20-30 pages of finishing this book. Is anyone still here? :smileywink: I struggled with the story initially but after awhile I got pulled into it. I should finish the story tonight so I'll pop back in to see what has been posted by those who have already finished it.




I'm still here and I'd love to hear what you think about the book. Let me know when you've finished it!
New User
Drakeflock
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

So impatient to get into the book with someone (ANYONE) who has read the book.

Right now, I have a three year old tugging at me and two older daughters, "Mom, Mom, Mom" -ing me, so I'll have to wait until the eveing, I suppose.

 

Though I have been professing to everyone that I hated this book, the fact that I feel so vitriolic about it must say volumes about the book!...Sebold is genius...

 

Can't wait to join the discussion...

 

 

 

 

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 223 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: