Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Links to reviews of The Almost Moon

[ Edited ]
Wow, I wouldn't want to be Alice Sebold. I guess this is a good example of the vagaries of fame. Here is an author who wrote a stunningly brilliant first fiction book called The Lovely Bones, as well as a not-so-famous but well-reviewed autobiographical book called Lucky.

Then comes The Almost Moon, which has been so abundantly reviewed I could barely list all the links to MAJOR reviews, not even attempting to list reviews in smaller publications. I haven't finished the book myself, but after reading these reviews, I can see why authors who have written brilliant first novels might be terrified to ever write (or publish, anyway) another book again.

There are so many reviews, and so many of them didn't like the book, I almost feel we could have a separate discussion reviewing reviews! While we are discussing the book, by the way, BN.com would love to have YOU write a review of this book. I'll give you details if you are interested.

In the meantime, if you decide to read the reviews, save them until you've finished the book -- there are some spoilers.

International Herald Tribune

The Times Online

The Village Voice

USA Today

The NY Times

The Guardian

Entertainment Weekly

The Christian Science Monitor

Book Critics Circle (a blog)

New York Magazine

The New Yorker

Edited by Admin. for formatting only.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-05-2007 10:22 AM
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Links to reviews of The Almost Moon

Becke, thank you for these links to the reviews.

I agree with your comment about the vagaries of fame. I hope she has a thick skin. Or a wonderfully understanding support group. Or even a competent psychiatrist(!)

One immediate hope is that she gets right back on that word processor. The only positive response for her is to write another wonderful book, and prove that she's not a one-hit wonder.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Re: Links to reviews of The Almost Moon

I read a galley of The Almost Moon several months ago. I had enjoyed The Lovely Bones, but would never consider it a favorite book. Once I started The Almost Moon, I couldn't put it down. I loved it! I think it's a beautifully written, disturbing, compelling, and haunting novel. I consider it to be so much better than The Lovely Bones. I remember thinking to myself at the time, This is going to be a HUGE hit!

Well, I couldn't have been more surprised when the reviews started coming out. And I've been even more surprised by the negativity of the fan response. This seems to be a really polarizing novel. I'd been recommending it whole-heartedly, but now I feel like I have to add caveats.

I have written a review of the novel for, uh, another website. When the time is right for reader reviews, I will be happy to share mine.
Susan
0 Kudos

The Almost Moon BEST SELLER #2

Despite the negative critical reviews, THE ALMOST MOON came in #2 this week on the New York Times bestseller list!

Not bad! Alice Sebold should feel proud.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: The Almost Moon BEST SELLER #2

IBIS wrote:
Despite the negative critical reviews, THE ALMOST MOON came in #2 this week on the New York Times bestseller list!

Not bad! Alice Sebold should feel proud.

She must be laughing all the way to the bank!
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 713 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: