Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mothers and daughters

Helen's two daughters, Emily and Sarah, are very different from each other, at one point reminding Helen of polarized magnets (page 80). Helen also tells Jake that "You left the girls . . . I may not have been perfect, but I didn't take off . . . " (page 167). Do you think Helen was a good mother? Was she a better mother to Sarah than to Emily? How do you feel her daughters would respond to that question?
Contributor
Debrachris
0 Kudos

Re: Mothers and daughters

I do think Helen was a good mother and also a good daughter. I sympathize with her because I too had a somewhat agoraphobic mother (though not to the crippling extent of Helen's mother. Mine would go to the store and visit her children and would not cover herself when she left the house). And my mother lived through my brother and I since she had no true life of her own. It was traumatic for her when I left home at age 22 because she lost her only friend. So I know that mothering of this type can be like a millstone around one's neck. I loved my mother but aspects of the relationship were not healthy. I think overall Helen and her daughters have a healthy relationship but not so with Helen and her own mother.
Regards, Debbie
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 615 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: