Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
DavidShapard
0 Kudos

A Welcome from David Shapard

[ Edited ]
Dear Readers,

I look forward to hearing what people have to say about Pride and Prejudice, and about my annotated version. Jane Austen is one of the world’s great novelists, one who can be appreciated for so many different things, for her humor, her romance, her insights into human nature, her moral lessons, her artistry in presenting the story. The list could go on.

One point that strikes me about Pride and Prejudice is that it presents a society very different from our own, but still shows human emotions and conflicts that are very recognizable today, and that speak powerfully to current readers.

In my own work I’ve tried, among other things, to help the reader understand better the alien features of that society. My hope is that this will make the novel speak even more powerfully to readers.

Please write in. I will be happy to answer any kind of question, and I feel confident that there will be plenty for people to discuss.

David M. Shapard

Message Edited by Bill_T on 06-06-2007 03:59 PM
New User
ccote
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from David Shapard

I love reading Jane AUsten and delving into a world of proprieties, manners and suppressed human emotions. I enjoy the freedoms that today's society has for women, but I wonder what we have also lost in throwing off the social mores and roles of the past. Additionally, I wanted to ask, who in Austen's time would have read her books. Men, women, only the upper crust?
Thanks
New User
leorockas3
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from David Shapard

Dear David,

You have not answered my suggestion about "prepossession" p. 384. My email is leorockas@msn.com
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 603 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: