Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

An Austen Vocabulary

One of the things I love about David Shapard's edition is the way he draws our attention to the changes in meaning that have altered many words between Austen's day and our own. When we read a writer of the Middle Ages or the Renaissance, we are perhaps unsurprised to find their usage quite different than our own -- partly because we often have to work hard or consult a scholarly aid even to hazard a guess at the meaning.

But the distinctions between the language used in Austen's world and our own are more subtle. Words like "sensible," "evil" and "intelligence" mean one thing to Austen, and another in our everyday use. Others, like "nice" are sometimes used in the way we think of today (meaning "pleasant"), but also can have a long-outdated meaning ("particular").

What words have given you pause in reading Pride and Prejudice? What discoveries of an evolving meaning have surprised you?
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: An Austen Vocabulary

[ Edited ]
One of the things that always makes me stop is the use of eat as a past tense verb instead of ate. It always gives me a little mental jar, and I have to stop and say, okay, she's not ignorant of grammar, that was correct back then.

When I think about it logically, it makes sense -- after all, we say we ate dinner, not eat dinner, but we have eaten, not have aten, dinner. But it still gives me that mental tweak every time it shows up.

Message Edited by Everyman on 06-13-2007 05:38 PM
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
One of the things that always makes me stop is the use of eat as a past tense verb instead of ate. It always gives me a little mental jar, and I have to stop and say, okay, she's not ignorant of grammar, that was correct back then.

When I think about it logically, it makes sense -- after all, we say we ate dinner, not eat dinner, but we have eaten, not have aten, dinner. But it still gives me that mental tweak every time it shows up.

Message Edited by Everyman on 06-13-2007 05:38 PM

And when you hear a Brit pronounce it, it's even more boggling.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
And when you hear a Brit pronounce it, it's even more boggling.

Well, since Henry Higgins revealed all, everybody knows that the Brits don't speak English any more. :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos

when i first read P&P, the old english phrases and wording definitely threw me off! but i think that by continuing to read the book, it helped me to further understand the language of that era and to be able to comprehend it. reading P&P was definitely a learning experience!
-=dagger=-
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 684 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: