Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Pecking Order

DavidShapard wrote:
The solution to the paradox, which I point out in an annotation to Mr. Collins's comment, is that 4 per cent bonds would usually yield around 5% (as would 3 per cent bonds, the most popular). This would happen because those bonds were normally sold at a discount, ...

I hadn't gotten there yet in the Annotated; fascinating! I hadn't thought about the discounted purchasing. Didn't realize they did that back then.
0 Kudos

I brought this up at the beginning of the discussion and was completely ignored.

The moderators need to flag which folders cover which specific chapters and be vigilant about moving spoilers.

Otherwise, as happened at the old BNU, new readers are going to get mad and not want to participate.

But I imagine I'm going to continue to get ignored, so don't hold your breath.

sethsma05 wrote:
I thought this was a discussion about the early part of the book, and it's my first time reading P&P, but I'm unsure what early chapters means. There's a spoiler in this discussion regarding a marriage. Is it possible to determine what "early chapters" are? I thought I was safe to come in, since I'm in V.2 Ch. 14, almost halfway, and it could have gone either way for a first time reader...

Reader
quilt411
0 Kudos

JesseBC - I agree whole heartedly with you and hope you aren't ignored. this was my first time in an online book club and thought I too would be safe in an 'Early Chapters' discussion but I did give up about half way through for two reasons. first there were spoilers and second it was very hard to keep track of at times. - Too many discussions going on and it got confusing. I might try another in the future but not too soon. . thanks for voicing this concern for us.

JesseBC wrote:
I brought this up at the beginning of the discussion and was completely ignored.

The moderators need to flag which folders cover which specific chapters and be vigilant about moving spoilers.

Otherwise, as happened at the old BNU, new readers are going to get mad and not want to participate.

But I imagine I'm going to continue to get ignored, so don't hold your breath.

sethsma05 wrote:
I thought this was a discussion about the early part of the book, and it's my first time reading P&P, but I'm unsure what early chapters means. There's a spoiler in this discussion regarding a marriage. Is it possible to determine what "early chapters" are? I thought I was safe to come in, since I'm in V.2 Ch. 14, almost halfway, and it could have gone either way for a first time reader...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 989 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: