Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourselves!

It might not have been considered good manners in the drawing rooms of Longbourn, Netherfield, or Pemberley, but please speak up and introduce yourselves here!
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Bill_T wrote:
It might not have been considered good manners in the drawing rooms of Longbourn, Netherfield, or Pemberley, but please speak up and introduce yourselves here!

Hello, Linda here. Anglophile, Jane Austen admirer, even had the great good fortune to visit her homes. Love talking about Jane and her works!
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
New User
Gepard
0 Kudos

Hi I'm LeeAnn I fell in love with P&P at a young age after seeing it on Wishbone, the A&E move and many reads later I'm still fully entrenched in it and listen to it regularly as an audio book at work to perk up my day.
~
"If you want to be somebody else ... change your mind"
If it's a craft ... I've either tried it and have it stashed away or want to try it ... if it's a book I'll read it.
Contributor
Roxane_M
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Roxane. Like Linda, I'm a card-carrying Anglophile, and I read P&P and Emma faithfully once a year. And I don't usually reread things.
Reader 2
LutherJen
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Jenna and I am proud to say I am a Jane Austen junkie. I am a recent college graduate with a major in English education. During my college experience I took a seminar that focused on the novels of Jane Austen and also wrote my senior paper about the friendships between women in Austen's novels. I have never participated in an online book discussion before so I am very excited to have stumbled across this one today!
~"Only a novel"... in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour are conveyed to the world in the best chosen language.~Northhanger Abbey
New User
crackerjax
0 Kudos

Hi!

I'm Jackie, 23, reader/writer. Though I have seen several versions of the movie Pride and Prejudice (and admittedly was aupposed to read it in high school and never did...) this will be my first reading of the actual book. I am excited as I have always enjoyed Jane Austen on film, and have seen most of the modern and period versions of Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Emma among others and decided to take the books and finally read them. I am excited to find new depth in plots and characters I already love, from my own interpretation of Austen's original words.

-Jackie :smileyhappy:
Contributor
Lysistrata
0 Kudos

Definitely an Austen-phile--even reading the "sequels" to her novels. An annotated "P&P" is a very exciting prospect and I am now ordering it.
Love and ciao, Lysistrata
Frequent Contributor
mildone
0 Kudos

When I was in college many years ago my main pursuit was the science classes. I did, however, read the classics but very quickly and with less enthusiasm than my science classes. I am now in my senior years and re-reading the classics with much more attention and greater appreciation. Enjoying these classes and the participants comments.
mildone
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

LutherJen wrote:
Hello! My name is Jenna and I am proud to say I am a Jane Austen junkie. I am a recent college graduate with a major in English education. During my college experience I took a seminar that focused on the novels of Jane Austen and also wrote my senior paper about the friendships between women in Austen's novels. I have never participated in an online book discussion before so I am very excited to have stumbled across this one today!

Love that introduction, LutherJen. I look forward to your posts!
0 Kudos

My name is John, and I was an English Major in college, though I tended to prefer Dickens when I read English novelists. I never really found myself gravitating toward Austen, though here is my opportunity, and I look forward to it!

I live in New Jersey and I am a speechwriter.
John D
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Lysistrata wrote:
Definitely an Austen-phile--even reading the "sequels" to her novels. An annotated "P&P" is a very exciting prospect and I am now ordering it.

Ciao Lysistrata,
I'm wondering what you thought of the "sequels". I've read a few.
Linda
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Contributor
Gypsy
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Risa. I'm an English major with a passion for 19th century literature. I've read nearly all of Jane Austen's novels, but P&P is my favorite. I was first introduced to her when we read the book my senior year in high school. I'm shocked to discover she's no longer required reading. Love hearing everyone's thoughts about my favorite author.
Contributor
Gypsy
0 Kudos

Lysistrata wrote:

Have you read any "sequels" worth the time? I read one on Darcy and was essentially disappointed. But then, can anyone write as well as our Jane?
New User
lawyermom
0 Kudos

I am a lawyer and the mother of lawyers. I have always had a great fondness for all of Austen's novels with the exception of Persuasion. I have read Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife by Linda Berdoli. It isn't too bad, making some attempt to explain some loose ends in the original- i.e. the elder Mr. Darcy's interest in and fondness for Wickham. Reading the sequel really only serves to highlight Austen's mastery. Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife is about twice as long and only a third as interesting as the original.
New User
misslizzie
0 Kudos

Bill_T wrote:

Hello. I'm new to the message board/ chat thing so I'm looking forward to chatting about one of my favourite authors and this wonderful book. She was brilliant and had such a keen insight into human relationships that truly were timeless.
Contributor
drclawgirl
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Danielle. I am really looking forward to this discussion. I just got home after spending 3 years in Germany. I did not find many people there who loved Jane Austen's books or who cared to talk about them. I am always amazed at the things others get out of the book that I have missed. This will be my "leisure time" because I am studying for the LSAT as well. It will be nice to get away from logic games and enjoy one of my favorite books.

I look forward to hearing what each of you think of the book and learn new things about it.
Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

I could simply use the intro that katknit wrote as the description covers what I would say about my interests in and travels for Jane Austen. In visiting Chawton, I told my husband I would be out in about thirty minutes; one and half hours later I regretfully emerged, but, only out of guilt for keeping my husband waiting. In 2003, during a temporary stay of four months in England, I found myself gaining an interest in Jane through the her biography by Carol Shields. I have since slowly pursued Jane's writings, her other biographers, and the history of the period surrounding her life and writings. This quest still feels very new and I am educated regularly by what others have to say about her and her novels. I am a recent member of the Jane Austen Society of North America and I subscribe to the Regency World magazine from Bath, England. I look forward to sharing perspectives on P&P and the cultural context of her writings.
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
New User
Emma_Wordsworth
0 Kudos

Bill_T wrote:

Hi! I love 19th century British Lit. and Austen in particular. Almost all of the women in my life love Austen but I have been amazed at the number of women that I have met that have never read her books or seen the films. There are several women I work with who, after discovering Austen, are now becoming addicted as well. I can hardly wait to get this book!~~Emma
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Hi-----I'm a retired elementary school librarian. In college I pursued elementary education and English. However, my focus wsa not novels but rather poetry and drama. My favorite poets are Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson. I had the opportunity to visit Emily Dickinson's house and was thrilled. I now read all kinds of books mainly fiction. Mystery, suspense and thrillers are my favorite. I will delve into the classic or intellectual stuff. But I also love novels that some book discussion groups would not choose. I started a book discussion group with several friends and we're willing to try many types of books. Previously I had been in a group at a local bookstore that only took on literary format type books like Saturday or Leeway Cottage, Brick Lane, the Kite Runner etc. I find books like Orchid Beach by Stuart Woods or Orange Crush by Tim Dorsey fun and relaxing. I came to like Pride and Prejudice as an adult out of school.
Librarian
Frequent Contributor
sethsma05
0 Kudos

I realized I posted on other boards, but hadn't posted an intro, so here it goes...
My name is Michelle, I'm work in theatre. My most recent production opened a little over a week ago, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee, at the Old Globe Theatre in California, which actually is not about Virginia Woolf. This is my first time reading P&P, and I'm new to the boards in general, but already I can see how great it is to be able to read/think about different topics. I started the book yesterday, and I'm hooked.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 574 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: