Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Lysistrata
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

In re sequels: have very mixed feelings in re the Berdoli's; the Bebris mysteries are pure fluff, but fun; am rereading the Aidan trilogy, told from Darcy's point of view, because her insight into the development of his attraction to Elizabeth lends real depth to an understanding of 'P&P'. What are other folks reactions to the 'sequels'???
Love and ciao, Lysistrata
Reader
quilt411
0 Kudos

Hello, My name is MaryFrances and I read P&P many years ago in high school. I was an English lit major in college but concentrated on Medieval Lit (Chaucer, King Arthur etc). I am enjoying the annotated version and look forward to the discussions. I am new to threaded book clubs but hope to join in soon. I am particularly excited by having David Shapard join us -
Reader 2
peaches21
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Alex. I have a degree in History but right now I'm a stay at home mom taking care of my 1 year old daughter. My specific area of interest is Medieval England during the 12th century but overall I find it all very fascinating. I was introduced to Austen in high school and have been a fan ever since. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Austen work.
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Welcome to you all

It's great to have such an enthusiastic collection of readers assembled as we dive into our reading -- and to see both new and familiar names here. Welcome, one and all!
Reader 4
chris0505
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Chris. A WAHM of 2 boys...one is 4 months and the other just turned 2 so I have my hands full. I've enjoyed reading P&P repeatedly since the 9th grade, when reading really became a passion. I traveled over an hour with my little guys in tow to pick up the Annotated copy. I am very excited to join the conversation. Hopefully, I'll have time to do so...
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

A WAHM of 2 boys.

That's a new one on me. I know SAHM (Stay at Home Mom), but what's a WAHM? Working At Home Mom?
0 Kudos

Is there a difference?

Everyman wrote:
A WAHM of 2 boys.

That's a new one on me. I know SAHM (Stay at Home Mom), but what's a WAHM? Working At Home Mom?

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
New User
bhalbop
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Barb and am coming off a break from book clubs. This is my first in the new format. I came to P&P rather late in life. I have been trying to incorporate some classics into my reading diet now for many years and have reread many as well of discovered some for the first time. I discovered P&P after cartching the newer movie on HBO. I had already purchased a copy so I dove right in. I loved every paragraph. Austen's brilliant writing, especially dialogue, hooked me from the start.It made me kick myself for missing it all these years. I look forward to everyone's comments and insights. You can never learn too much! Barb
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

My name is Felicia. I am a Austenite! I love all her novels but especially Pride and Prejudice. I will be lurking around, as I am currently in another P&P group read elsewhere. But since I love this novel and the characters so much, I will enjoy reading your comments and maybe throw in some myself.
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Reader 4
chris0505
0 Kudos

Sorry, I guess I've been a little busy "working at home" to see this. :-) Yup, I work at home while also "staying at home" with my boys. It just means that I have another job besides being a mom.

Laurel wrote:
Is there a difference?

Everyman wrote:
A WAHM of 2 boys.

Contributor
Gypsy
0 Kudos

Lysistrata wrote:
In re sequels: have very mixed feelings in re the Berdoli's; the Bebris mysteries are pure fluff, but fun; am rereading the Aidan trilogy, told from Darcy's point of view, because her insight into the development of his attraction to Elizabeth lends real depth to an understanding of 'P&P'. What are other folks reactions to the 'sequels'???

I also read the Aidan trilogy, and though I enjoyed the first and third books, I found book two to be nothing more than typical Regency romance trash. Still, if someone wants to peek at Darcy's point of view in the story, I recommend books one and two.
Contributor
Lysistrata
0 Kudos

Gypsy wrote:

Lysistrata wrote:

I also read the Aidan trilogy, and though I enjoyed the first and third books, I found book two to be nothing more than typical Regency romance trash. Still, if someone wants to peek at Darcy's point of view in the story, I recommend books one and two.

I would have to agree with that assessment. Perhaps the second book was supposed to be a satire on the "horrid" novels, but it's not successful as such--not sufficiently over the top nor funny enough to compete with Northanger Abbey!!!
Li
New User
Li
0 Kudos

Hello, I am Li, a high school teacher currently abroad (for the next 2 days). My copy of Shepard's Annotated P&P is being shipped to my US home where I will be able to contribute more to the discussion. It is wonderful to read all of your introductions, and to be part of my first online discussion. This site is our very own drawing room where we can enjoy talking about characters we love and ones we love to hate, as well as the life and times so that others unfamiliar with the text think we are talking about real people.
I assigned Pride and Prejudice as summer reading to my US 10th grade English class, and ordered the book before I knew of this discussion in order to deepen my own understanding of the historical and cultural contexts for my own benefit as well as my students. Recently, I finished Sense and Sensibility. It will contribute to my understanding to be part of this group of readers as well as insight from the author.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Good to have you here, Li. Where abroad are you?
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Rebecca, and this is my first time reading P&P althought I have read three other Jane Austin books. I am finding the annotated version very helpful although I do have several questions regarding the society.
New User
loveroflit822
0 Kudos

Hello! I have always loved literature, but have only recently given Jane Austen a try. Alas, my new addiction cannot be supported with only 6 books, hence my interest and excitement in speaking with other Austenites.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

loveroflit822 wrote:
...have only recently given Jane Austen a try. Alas, my new addiction cannot be supported with only 6 books...>

But since each book is different each time you read it, just read each one four times and that's twenty four books -- plenty for anyone! :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos

Just an elderly gentleman who enjoys reading good literature.
mildone
Contributor
Lysistrata
0 Kudos

Frankly, Everyman, if JA had written 24 books, I still wouldn't think it's enough. Thankfully, LoverofLit, there are enough of us "insatiables" to have spawned a whole universe of "sequels" and websites devoted to keeping her alive. Start with the Republic of Pemberley and follow the links and enjoy!!!

Love and ciao, L.
New User
astiff
0 Kudos

Hi all!! I'm Andrianne and I'm new to the book club. I am however, a lover of P&P!!! Look forward to more discussions
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 312 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: