Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Gypsy
0 Kudos

Re: Old Favorite or New Discovery?

msbackhus wrote:
This is an old favorite - so much so that I teach it every year to my sophomore Honors English class. My female students inevitably love the story, but I have a hard time tapping enthusiasm into teenage boys for P&P. I would love suggestions from our male readers about what it was that drew you and kept you in the book.

OK, I'm not male, but I know a few who love the story. Mainly, they love turning the story upside down and looking at Bingley, Darcy and Mr. Bennett. And even Mr. Hurst. How do men feel about being pursued as a prize? How do they feel once they're "secured" with a wife that may not be what they expected? And how did those wives fool them? And then there's Mr. Wickham. Everybody knows a Wickham, who seduces women for sex and money. I suggest having your male students talk about their points of view.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Gypsy, that's a great idea! That way they won't have to admit they like the book.

Gypsy wrote:

msbackhus wrote:
This is an old favorite - so much so that I teach it every year to my sophomore Honors English class. My female students inevitably love the story, but I have a hard time tapping enthusiasm into teenage boys for P&P. I would love suggestions from our male readers about what it was that drew you and kept you in the book.

OK, I'm not male, but I know a few who love the story. Mainly, they love turning the story upside down and looking at Bingley, Darcy and Mr. Bennett. And even Mr. Hurst. How do men feel about being pursued as a prize? How do they feel once they're "secured" with a wife that may not be what they expected? And how did those wives fool them? And then there's Mr. Wickham. Everybody knows a Wickham, who seduces women for sex and money. I suggest having your male students talk about their points of view.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Author
DavidShapard
0 Kudos

Speaking as a male who loves Jane Austen, I would say that while the romantic elements were never a turn-off, they were also not the main reason for my interest. I appreciated her humor, her insight into human characters, her clever use of language, and her very well-constructed plots. It is possible that stressing elements like that might draw male students in. You also might show how unsentimental Jane Austen can be in analyzing people, in contrast to the stereotype of writers dealing with romance.
Frequent Contributor
JesseBC
0 Kudos

I'd be careful not to teach the novel in a way that promotes the same gender stereotypes that Austen is skewering here.

The harpies who chase men for their money is as much a stereotype as that of men who want pretty doormats for trophies and, therefore, women must act stupid and dependent in order to snag a good provider (or, for that matter, that men don't enjoy romance).

The opening line of Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites because it's just so delightfully sarcastic.

The novel presents a good opportunity for talking about satire. I wouldn't use it as a means of kicking off discussion about satirical stereotypes as if they were real since that defeats the whole purpose of good satire.

Gypsy wrote:

msbackhus wrote:

Frequent Contributor
scamp5
0 Kudos

I love this book because of the exaggerated imperfections of some of the characters.
"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 73 members 1,074 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: