Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Welcome from Your Moderator

Welcome, everyone, to our discussion of The Annotated Pride and Prejudice with our very special guest, David M. Shapard. This wonderful new edition of Jane Austen's most widely-read work gives Austen the "facing page" treatment that the most useful editions of Shakespeare's plays employ.

But these editorial notes go well beyond the glossing of unfamiliar terms, offering windows into the world of the Regency -- a place and time both familiar and strange -- as well as into the intricate tracings of theme and idea that are so subtly woven into the fabric of a sparkling work of social comedy.

I'm looking forward both to your contributions, and to the insights David Shapard will be able to offer in our discussion of this most beloved of novels.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from Your Moderator

My copy of the book has just been ordered, but I hope it will be permissible to join the discussion before it comes and before I have the book in hand.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
As I'm certain that you're more than passingly familiar with the book, Everyman, I have little doubt that you won't be too handicapped by having to wait a few days for your new copy! I'd say fire away.

(And it might be an interesting exercise in trying to find out how much of an oft-read novel remains in one's memory. Earlier today I could not, for example, remember the name of the village in which the Bennets live, and had to finally cave in and look up "Longbourn." And I just re-read the book last month...)

Everyman wrote:
My copy of the book has just been ordered, but I hope it will be permissible to join the discussion before it comes and before I have the book in hand.

Message Edited by Bill_T on 05-31-2007 06:03 PM

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I don't think you'll be the only one. I'm planning on using my Norton edition - but then I'll also be busy with the Wharton for the LbW board :smileyhappy:

Everyman wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

Re: Schedule

It is a great surprise to find a discussion of P&P so soon after the spring discussion. I did not realize this was on the schedule-but am quite pleased as I have the annotated version and would like the chance to discuss it. Is there any particular schedule for progressing through the book?
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I notice that you don't have a topic for Film versions of P&P. Generally I avoid film versions of books I love, but it's virtually impossible to avoid seeing P&P on film or videotape at some point in your life. So maybe we should have a place to discuss film versions and comment on what we think is particularly good or not good about various versions.
0 Kudos

Re: Schedule

It's true that this is a quick return to Austen after the discussion in Literature by Women, but we had a chance to have David Shapard join us and couldn't resist the opportunity! And there's no shortage of enthusiasm for the topic.

As for a schedule...I chose not to set on a "chapter-by-chapter" basis for a variety of reasons, but if many members of the group would like us to open threads related to particular sections of the book, please let me know.

Jansten75 wrote:
It is a great surprise to find a discussion of P&P so soon after the spring discussion. I did not realize this was on the schedule-but am quite pleased as I have the annotated version and would like the chance to discuss it. Is there any particular schedule for progressing through the book?

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

A fine suggestion! I'll start a thread for that topic.

Everyman wrote:
I notice that you don't have a topic for Film versions of P&P. Generally I avoid film versions of books I love, but it's virtually impossible to avoid seeing P&P on film or videotape at some point in your life. So maybe we should have a place to discuss film versions and comment on what we think is particularly good or not good about various versions.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 214 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: