Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

How would you categorize Nicholas Sparks' books?

On the Mystery Club, people have been discussing different sub-genres: cozies, hard-boiled, etc. In Romance there are sub-genres like chick lit, historical and vampire/paranormal.

Someone brought up this type of book -- how would you classify it? It's a romance but it doesn't really fit the romance genre. There is a twist at the end but it's not a mystery, either. General fiction doesn't narrow it down enough.

If you were a publisher and you had to come up with a name to describe this type of book, to help readers find it and books like it, what would you choose? (Choices again. . .)
Frequent Contributor
Jody1S
0 Kudos

Re: How would you categorize Nicholas Sparks' books?

Hi, Becke,

That's a tough one. I agree that it's in the romance genre, but where exactly who knows. I love Nicholas Sparks because he keeps the romance clean and more realistic rather than too steamy. I guess "steamy" can be realistic, but honestly, most of the time the "steamy" doesn't usually lead to true romance.....lol I'm sure there are exceptions to this.

It's located in the literature section of the bookstore, and even that makes it more confusing because I classify literature differently.

Oh, yeah, by this way.....and this is off topic of Sparks.......I am reading that book by Jennifer Cruise, "Bet Me" and I really am enjoying it so far. I wasn't sure I was going to like it just because I thought it looked a little cheesy.....lol.......but so far I have really gotten to like the characters. I love the way Cruise has the ability to use lots of dialouge in her writing. But hey, I should have posted this in the other reading club......sorry!

Jody
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: How would you categorize Nicholas Sparks' books?

Jody1S wrote:
Hi, Becke,

That's a tough one. I agree that it's in the romance genre, but where exactly who knows. I love Nicholas Sparks because he keeps the romance clean and more realistic rather than too steamy. I guess "steamy" can be realistic, but honestly, most of the time the "steamy" doesn't usually lead to true romance.....lol I'm sure there are exceptions to this.

It's located in the literature section of the bookstore, and even that makes it more confusing because I classify literature differently.

Oh, yeah, by this way.....and this is off topic of Sparks.......I am reading that book by Jennifer Cruise, "Bet Me" and I really am enjoying it so far. I wasn't sure I was going to like it just because I thought it looked a little cheesy.....lol.......but so far I have really gotten to like the characters. I love the way Cruise has the ability to use lots of dialouge in her writing. But hey, I should have posted this in the other reading club......sorry!

Jody

I thought of moving your post, but since you are talking about the Sparks book, too, I'm going to leave it. I love that Crusie book although, like you, I wasn't sure about it at first. I love the humor in her books. Her latest, Agnes and the Hit Man, is co-written with Bob Mayer and it's a hoot -- a romantic, funny, mystery with great dialogue!
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 679 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: