Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and to share your first impressions of The Choice. Also, what are some of your other favorite Nicholas Sparks titles?
Frequent Contributor
Jody1S
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello,

My name is Jody, and I am very excited to see that there is a discussion being started on one of my favorite authors, Nicholas Sparks. I have been anticipating the release of his latest novel, and I showed up at Barnes and Noble on the 24th to purchase my copy. I wish he would make a visit here to little 'ol Corpus Christi being that I can't make it on the 3rd to Dallas.

Two of my favorites novels that he's written are "The Notebook" and "Nights in Rodanthe," but I decided a long time ago that whatever he writes is worth reading. I hope we can have a good discussion going on in here about his new novel, and maybe keep it going with some of his older work.

Have a nice day everyone, and happy reading!

Jody
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hi:

I have read most all of his books, My name by the way is Linda Huff, and I am from Central Virginia. A long time member of Barnes and Noble and also a avid reader. My favorite so far is the John(dear) letter. I loved the Rodanthe book also and the "Notebook". I have to go out today and find the book. I didnt see this on the discussion section until yesterday.
New User
po2ok3ie
0 Kudos

Hi

My name is Holly, and I am very excited to see a discussion for a Nicholas Sparks book. I have never done an online book club/discussion before, and there could not be a better author for my first.

I love all Nicholas Sparks books, and I have read most of his books. My favorites are "The Wedding" and "The Guardian". The way he writes is amazing, making you feel like you know the characters on a personal level. I feel that I can connect with each one of his characters in some way.

I can't wait to read this book and participate in the discussions. Hope everyone has a good day!!
"By learning you will teach, by teaching you will learn."

- Latin Proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

po2ok3ie wrote:
Hi

My name is Holly, and I am very excited to see a discussion for a Nicholas Sparks book. I have never done an online book club/discussion before, and there could not be a better author for my first.

I love all Nicholas Sparks books, and I have read most of his books. My favorites are "The Wedding" and "The Guardian". The way he writes is amazing, making you feel like you know the characters on a personal level. I feel that I can connect with each one of his characters in some way.

I can't wait to read this book and participate in the discussions. Hope everyone has a good day!!

You are so right Holly, he writes in such a warm way, its like you have known the characters forever. They are all so inviting, the way he describes them in his wonderful writing.
New User
chelly3305
0 Kudos

Good Morning! My name is Shelley and I have been a Nicholas Sparks fan from the beginning. I have every single one of his books (though half are away on loan to friends and family), and every time a new one comes out, I buy it the first day.

My favorite books are "Bend in the Road", "True Believer", and of course, "The Notebook." All of his characters are real, inviting, and fun to journey down the road of love with. His writing is inspirational and warm like a fire on a cold,snowy night.

I read "The Choice" in a day (which is usually the case since I can't ever put his books down), and I'm excited to start discussing it. I can honestly say, he did not disppoint me with his latest. He can still surprise me at every page turn.

Can't wait to talk with all of you.

~Shelley
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Becke Davis and I'll be moderating this discussion, although I think Jessica, one of our administrators, will be checking in with us, too. I'm in Cincinnati, where it is still much hotter than normal.

I'm looking forward to discussing this book with you all!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

chelly3305 wrote:
Good Morning! My name is Shelley and I have been a Nicholas Sparks fan from the beginning. I have every single one of his books (though half are away on loan to friends and family), and every time a new one comes out, I buy it the first day.

My favorite books are "Bend in the Road", "True Believer", and of course, "The Notebook." All of his characters are real, inviting, and fun to journey down the road of love with. His writing is inspirational and warm like a fire on a cold,snowy night.

I read "The Choice" in a day (which is usually the case since I can't ever put his books down), and I'm excited to start discussing it. I can honestly say, he did not disppoint me with his latest. He can still surprise me at every page turn.

Can't wait to talk with all of you.

~Shelley

Not like you, I wanted to finish the book last night, but fell asleep on page l54 and the book disappeared under the bed and I was searching all morning for that book!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Hi! My name is Becke Davis and I'll be moderating this discussion, although I think Jessica, one of our administrators, will be checking in with us, too. I'm in Cincinnati, where it is still much hotter than normal.

Hi there, you are a busy busy bee, now aren't you? Three clubs, are is it more? Glad you are here!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Hi there, you are a busy busy bee, now aren't you? Three clubs, are is it more? Glad you are here!

Three at the moment, but gardening is kind of "dormant" -- it tends to get busier when it's too cold for most people to be out and actually DOING gardening instead of posting about it!

I should point out that there is a new Nicholas Sparks thread in the Romance book club, if any of you are interested.
Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

Hello!

I'm KathyH from Orange, California. I work in a large church and have just moved from a house (which sold in 2 days!) to a townhouse. I'm still unpacking and trying to get to my 100 boxes of books in the storage unit. I ordered my books for this session and they were shipped by B&N on 9/26 so I should get them today or tomorrw. I'll jump in as soon as I get them.

KathyH
becke_davis
0 Kudos

KathyH wrote:
Hello!

I'm KathyH from Orange, California. I work in a large church and have just moved from a house (which sold in 2 days!) to a townhouse. I'm still unpacking and trying to get to my 100 boxes of books in the storage unit. I ordered my books for this session and they were shipped by B&N on 9/26 so I should get them today or tomorrw. I'll jump in as soon as I get them.

KathyH

Well, you have me beat. Last time we moved we had nearly 70 cartons of books, and I thought that was a lot. Of course, no telling how many more books I've added over the years, but I'm trying to be better about trading my old books or just passing them on to friends. The pack rat gene runs strong in my family, so I have to watch myself!
Frequent Contributor
BookwormJen
0 Kudos

I'm Jen in VA, and I just finished The Choice this evening. Not one of my top picks, I have to say (sorry to those that loved it!), but I am still a huge fan. :smileyhappy:
My faves are The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, Nights in Rodanthe and Dear John. I also enjoyed his "Three Weeks with my Brother". The only 2 I could not get into were True Believer and At First Sight (can't tell you why).
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

BookwormJen wrote:
I'm Jen in VA, and I just finished The Choice this evening. Not one of my top picks, I have to say (sorry to those that loved it!), but I am still a huge fan. :smileyhappy:
My faves are The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, Nights in Rodanthe and Dear John. I also enjoyed his "Three Weeks with my Brother". The only 2 I could not get into were True Believer and At First Sight (can't tell you why).

Hi to another Virginian! I am from Central Va. You can't love them all but you love most of them. I haven't read any that I couldn't get into. Not yet anyway.
New User
nelycowleysanchez
0 Kudos

Hey, I'm Nely. Nicholas Sparks is absolutely one of my favorite writers. I've read almost every book he's written. I pretty much devour his books. One or two days tops is all it takes. The Choice was quite touching. I'm a sucker for love - what can I say?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

nelycowleysanchez wrote:
Hey, I'm Nely. Nicholas Sparks is absolutely one of my favorite writers. I've read almost every book he's written. I pretty much devour his books. One or two days tops is all it takes. The Choice was quite touching. I'm a sucker for love - what can I say?

I know what you are saying. It is that good. I love his book also.
Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

Some years ago I made the "mistake" of reading an obituary of an author (Roy Porter). His acclaimed book, "A Social History of London," sounded interesting and on a topic I had never considered. So I bought it. That book is really more of a resource book than a straight read, but it started me on that path. A few years ago two major publishers died. In their obituaries were listed authors in their "stables." I hadn't heard of many of them so purchased 1 paperback edition of each author's work. Then there is my reading of journals which review or just mention authors and books. My latest quest is for writing of William James, Henry James brother.

Ah, tangents!

KathyH
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KathyH wrote:
Some years ago I made the "mistake" of reading an obituary of an author (Roy Porter). His acclaimed book, "A Social History of London," sounded interesting and on a topic I had never considered. So I bought it. That book is really more of a resource book than a straight read, but it started me on that path. A few years ago two major publishers died. In their obituaries were listed authors in their "stables." I hadn't heard of many of them so purchased 1 paperback edition of each author's work. Then there is my reading of journals which review or just mention authors and books. My latest quest is for writing of William James, Henry James brother.

Ah, tangents!

KathyH

Reading is always an adventure. When I lived in London I found so many books that everyone reads there (Charles Lamb, Samuel Pepys, etc.) but that are rarely read here in the U.S. -- digging through old book store shelves was like looking for buried treasure!

Message Edited by becke_davis on 10-03-2007 11:08 PM
Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

Hi Becke -

It's even a greater challenge to find people who actually want to discuss most of what I read!

KathyH
becke_davis
0 Kudos

KathyH wrote:
Hi Becke -

It's even a greater challenge to find people who actually want to discuss most of what I read!

KathyH

That's one reason I enjoy these book club boards, if you look hard enough, you can find people who share almost any book-related interests here!
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 500 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: