Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and to offer your first impressions of the book.
Reader
lmoon-55
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello, I am a huge fan of Lessing from way back when she was writing her novels about living in Africa and her experiences while in the Communist party. But the first book I read of hers was The Golden Notebook.
I am so glad she got the Nobel prize for literature this year. She has deserved it for many years.

I haven't statrted reading The Cleft yet. I'll read it and join you according to the schedule.

lmoon-55
Addicted to reading since five. War and Peace, had to read twice(ouch) around 13.
I sometimes wish Doris Lessing had been my mother.
New User
danielbookseller
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Doris Lessing is my favorite author. I have read The Cleft, and I look forward to the discussion, as in many ways this is a controversial though ultimately, I think, straightforward book.

I think it's a good read for men and women alike, Lessing is careful to keep the interactions between the sexes balanced.

I used to be a bookseller at the Santa Rosa B&N store, will be interested to hear the reviews, thoughts, etc..

I'll keep a watch on this topic and chime in from time to time.

Daniel
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hello, I go by IBIS and I live in the greater Boston area.

I've read some of Doris Lessing's work. What I found intriguing about THE CLEFT is that Doris Lessing reverses the traditional biblical version of man's beginnings... that Eve came from Adam's rib.

She creates a myth where humanity started off with only females of the species. Eventually, by an inexplicable shift of nature, males were then eventually born.

I read in a Washington Post article that Lessing said that many readers would absolutely hate this story. I can't wait to hear how everyone responds to THE CLEFT.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
Kellyha20
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly, I am going to the store on my lunch break to pick up the book. This will be my first "feminist" read. I look forward to reading the book and getting to read everyone's opinions and views! Happy reading!
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi Kelly!

We've been a really low-key group this month, but with interesting comments! Welcome!
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 239 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: