Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. Let us know which of Joyce Carol Oates' other novels you have read, and what draws you to The Gravedigger's Daughter.

And if you've read The Gravedigger's Daughter before, be careful not to post any plot spoilers! :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
va-BBoomer
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I just discovered this, and I would like to join in.  Looks like I have some catching up to do.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester County in a communal household.  I love to read, but wish I had more time.  But I've read about this book, and have been curious about it.

Anyone else out there joining me?
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Laura and I live on the south coast of Maine.  You can read more about me in my profile.

This is the first book I have read by Joyce Carol Oates, though I own four other books of hers.  I have nominated her book The Falls on the Literature by Women board several times, without success yet.  I was thrilled to see this group announced so that I could finally read one of her books and not just have them waiting in the wings. 

I am just over 100 pages in and find the book very mysterious.  I want to find out what makes Rebecca who she is.  I am looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hello all, I have read a few Joyce Carol Oates books and have a few on my shelf I haven't read.  I do have a hard time staying on tab with her. I liked the Mulvanys and it was a great book. But it seems , maybe I am  a ADD person or something. I can't stay focus on her books.I also have read alot of short stories and have enjoyed them. I have read Blonde and liked it.  She is a brilliant writer and I am glad I have read some of her books. I am looking forward to enjoying this even if I have to concetrate more.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

There is no catching up to do - we're discussing through the month of May, so we've just started. Feel free to jump in and discuss anytime. There is no live chat, so you're welcome to come and go as you please.
Stephanie
New User
Alesha
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm new to this but i'm excited about this book! i've never read any of oates' books, but this one sounds very interesting. i'm excited to join this group!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Alesha,

Welcome- great to have you join us. How far along are you in the book? One of the neat things about reading during a month-long group like this is that you can post your impressions as you go, and others who are where you are, or further along can comment. If any of you would like to set up your own threads to do just that, please do, I think this novel would lend itself to that sort of discussion very well.
Stephanie
New User
heidi_ann
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm also new to this and excited to try it out. This is the first Oates' book for me too- in fact I just bought it recently and haven't been able to start it yet- but it looks very interesting!
Contributor
LindaMac
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm new to the group.  I live in New York.  Love reading.   Like reading all types of books.  First Oates book, but won't be my last.  In The Gravedigger's Daughter, I like Oates different styles of writing.(her paragraphs and chapters) I find that an interesting approach in her writing style. 
 I'm sorry about my last comment on the book, might of given some information away, didn't know. I thought everyone was finished with the book.   Looking forward to reading everyone's comments about books.  You feel connected.  Linda

Contributor
LindaMac
0 Kudos

Re:

When do we know about the next book selection?  When are the discussions?
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Re:

Welcome Linda and Heidi,

The discussions are ongoing, for a month. Just post your messages when you have time. The next selections will be posted in advance, look for them on the main page.

We do try to keep from posting spoilers, so if you're unsure, it's best to just post Spoiler Warning in the header.
Stephanie
Contributor
LindaMac
0 Kudos

Re: Re:New

Hi everyone,   thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to reading everyone's comments.  Once again I apologize for my last question which was an "ending spoiler" Didn't know everyone didn't read the book, I thought the discussions and comments were on books already read.  Linda
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Re:New

Linda,

No problem, it was an easy fix.  Some readers join the book groups when they're just beginning or partly through the novel, because it's fun to read and discuss as you go.  Others like to have the novel completed before the group begins, have some time to collect thoughts, etc.  At any rate, it's a completely personal decision, and one each reader makes for him/herself.

Stephanie
Reader 2
annie1221
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!
My name is Rebecca. I haven't read any of Joyce Carol Oates' work but I am very intrigued to do so now after just discovering this. Looks to be very interesting. I am looking foward to reading more in this discussion.
Users Online
Currently online: 75 members 1,094 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: