Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jmtamez
0 Kudos

Is it really that great?

[ Edited ]
Is this book really as great as the summary looks?

Message Edited by jmtamez on 05-23-2008 08:43 AM
Jeanne
Let's talk books! www.booktalks.org
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Is it really that great?

Jeanne,

It was an excellent novel.  You might find that it's "slow" in spots, early on, anyway, but I think the author's setting such a pace was intentional.  You will be thoroughly steeped in the character's early life and in her thought processes by the time the story begins to move forward more rapidly.  The effect this had on me, mainly, was that I could empathize with a situation of which I had little knowledge - not mere sympathy, real empathy.  It's not the sort of story one takes lightly, however, and while I wouldn't describe it as "gripping" the way a thriller would be, it certainly has moments that will grip you, and it's not an easy book to put aside, even when you're through.

Hope this helps,
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I thought it was an excellent book. As Stephanie says, its not the "drop everything and read book" but its worth getting into sort of book. Joyce Carol Oates writes within the circle and not quite as much outside the circle. She really reveals every detail of her characters and sways you to delve into the reasons the characters react as they do in her books. Some of her books I can't get into, but I feel now that she has written  this one, I could go back and become interesting in some I wasnt at the time I read them. She has a unusual way of covering every detail of her characters that makes you feel the things they do. This book was such a story you would almost always hve to get absorbed in. Joyce Oates made it so moving in every way.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I think the book is a masterful character study of Rebecca.  The writing style is meticulous, so the book is not a page turner.  It is not a book I can recommend to everyone across the board.  However, if you are the type of person who enjoys an in depth look at a character, excellent writing, and has patience with a book, you would like it.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Well put Ladies-  this is indeed a book one is going to get involved  in!   I hope we didn't scare any readers off!  :smileyhappy: 
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 259 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: