Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Part Two - milburn, new york

This was a long section, full of heartache!  Thank goodness Rebecca managed to get her and Niley away from Tignor!  I couldn't but help be reminded of the value of a good education.  Rebecca had not been taught much in life, so she was naive in so many ways.  Her family was such a bad influence on her, nothing could seem to overcome their negative impact.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Part Two - milburn, new york

Laura,

Please expound on your "value of a good education" idea... would love to hear what all you're thinking. 

Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

In Rebecca's case, she didn't have much of a education, that is formal school, but thank God she was a very wise and had lots of common sense or she wouldn't have made it out in the world with her child. It seemed she never lacked a job and the array of jobs were numerous.  Call it stubbornness or strong-willed, she was bound to make it.  Of course she was self taught alot, she liked reading and it carried over to her child who was very bright.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Linda,

You're so right about Rebecca - I loved her strong will!  It definitely did carry her through, didn't it?  I'm always fond of strong female characters, and Rebecca's determination in her regard for her son was right up there with the best of them.  I wondered if she would have taken such strides if it weren't for him.  Do you all think she would have fought as hard for just herself?

Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

You are so right, Stephanie. What we do for our children is everything that is anywhere possible for us to do and then some.  And we will then try the impossible. I know I have sacrificed much for mine and most parents do. So Rebecca loved her child and wanted so much for him. She hadn't had the love she gave him or was not encouraged to become someone that she could be proud of.  But of course that came through her son.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Please expound on your "value of a good education" idea... would love to hear what all you're thinking. 

Rebecca did not finish high school.  I am not sure about the amount she learned before she quit school since we don't read about homework. 

However, what I meant in my statement was that she lacked knowledge about everyday things.  Several times during the book, Gallagher had to explain the simplest things to her.  You could tell she had no idea about the items being explained by the questions she asked and the way she responded to the answers.  Gallagher calls her naive.

I do agree with you and Linda that Rebecca is very brave, strong willed, and determined.  These characteristics, and Niley, propel her forward in her life.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Laura,

Ah - I understand the naive aspect of Rebecca's situation, I just wondered if you felt she had gotten a good education (from Tignor, from Gallagher, from life) somewhere along the way.  I tried not to lead your answer, and I suppose I was somewhat vague! 

I think Rebecca's growth over the course of the novel is astonishing.  She doesn't just move forward, she leaps!

Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online:45 members 419 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: