Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Prologue and Part One - chautauqua falls, new york

Please use this thread to post your thoughts on the prologue and part one -  chautauqua falls, new york.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
va-BBoomer
0 Kudos

Re: Prologue and Part One - chautauqua falls, new york

Is it me - I'm confused.  In the Prologue, the first date shown is 1919.  Fine.  But reference is made in the book intro that Rebecca's family didn't come over until 1936, and some unspeakable tragedy happened after that.  Yet in this Prologue, I assume around 1919, there is reference to something happening maybe 10 years before??  Have I missed something here?  Haven't read any further while trying to sort out this beginning.  Maybe that's my problem.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

va-BBoomer wrote:
Is it me - I'm confused.  In the Prologue, the first date shown is 1919.  Fine.  But reference is made in the book intro that Rebecca's family didn't come over until 1936, and some unspeakable tragedy happened after that.  Yet in this Prologue, I assume around 1919, there is reference to something happening maybe 10 years before??  Have I missed something here?  Haven't read any further while trying to sort out this beginning.  Maybe that's my problem.

I didn't see any date in the prologue. 

The date of September 1959 is given in the first sentence of part one.  It talks about Rebecca's life at that time.  Part two talks about Rebecca's childhood.  Maybe the ink in your copy was blurred and it looks like 1919.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
va-BBoomer
0 Kudos

Need a red-faced smilie here - it was my glasses that were blurred.  I put on another pair, and presto, it said 1959.  Sorry for the ridiculous mistake.  But still sorting out other areas of the story.  Have enjoyed it, in spite of the depressing events.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Ah glasses!  I had a similar problem recently - was using a magnifying glass to read my book because my glasses just weren't doing the job.  I finally cleaned them.  :smileysurprised:  How embarrasing.

There are depressing events in this story, but for the most part, I felt hopeful throughout.  Mainly because Rebecca was constantly moving forward in her life, she never ceased to work toward betterment. 
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 735 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: