Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
LindaMac
0 Kudos

Spoiler Warning- question about the ending

[ Edited ]
can someone tell me the ending, I read it but couldn't figure out if she died(she was sick at the end)She didn't answer her cousin's last letter. Thanks

Message Edited by Stephanie on 05-12-2008 09:09 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Spoiler Warning - the end

Linda,

We know Rebecca is ill, Freyda may or may not be able to locate her... I believe the ending is left up in the air intentionally - is it enough that they have come to know each other through their letters? They are, after all virtual strangers that, if not for the war, probably would not be who they are, where they are, but rather, "real" cousins who grew up knowing each other.

Group: Your thoughts?
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Spoiler Warning - the end

I thought the correspondence stopped because Rebecca had died.

As for the bigger purpose of the epilogue, I think it was meant to show that Rebecca always longed for her family, especially once she was not actively involved in her son's life.  I can't imagine not having any family connection.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 251 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: