Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Welcome from your moderator

Hello All,

I'm Stephanie, and I'm delighted to be your moderator for Joyce Carol Oates The Gravedigger's Daughter.  I think you'll find this book extremely gripping, and while not many of us can relate directly, I was stunned by how real the situations and characters seemed to me.  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from your moderator

Hi Stephanie!  Great to be with you again!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:
Hi Stephanie!  Great to be with you again!

Glad you are here! Stephanie.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I'm IBIS, and I'm very glad to see you moderating this club, Stephanie.

I've read most of Joyce Carol Oates' work... I think (her editor, Joyce and her family) may be the only ones who've read ALL of her work. Her output is unbelievably massive.

As a professional violinist, I enjoy reading her prose... she herself once wrote that prose is like music, it creates a mood. 

music is one ladder between heaven and earth. A tie-in between the sublime and the ridiculous.

All novels have a mood that's expressive in musical terms... Gravedigger's Daughter is definitely a major work in a minor key... somber, serious, with mysterious undertones.

This will be a fine novel to explore with others.
IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Laura,

Terrific to see you - it's been a while. Have you read the novel yet, or are you still reading? I took my time with this one, there is a lot to absorb.
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hi LInda - Hi IBIS -

Excellent book, right? Glad to see you here- this should be a great discussion.

Group: I've thought a lot about how to discuss this novel here, because there is SO very much to discuss -- and I think if you all want to go ahead and post areas of discussion about which you are interested we'll just take it from there and see where it leads us.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Have you read the novel yet, or are you still reading? I took my time with this one, there is a lot to absorb.

I am 200 pages in.  There is a lot to absorb!
Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Group: I've thought a lot about how to discuss this novel here, because there is SO very much to discuss -- and I think if you all want to go ahead and post areas of discussion about which you are interested we'll just take it from there and see where it leads us.

How about by parts, for starters?  That way those who are in the process of reading can comment as they go.
Laura

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Laura,

I mentioned in another thread that readers could create a personal thread (doesn't look like we're too big for that) to post as they go that the rest of us could comment on and add thoughts or questions to.

You're right, there is a lot to absorb, and there are quite a few connected but divergent threads of plot to follow.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 594 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: