Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Writing and Passages

Please us this thread to comment on the writing and writing style of this book and author, as well as favorite passages.  Please include a page number, if pertinent, for reference and to avoid spoilers.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Writing and Passages

Laura,

I love Oates style - down to earth and yet there is a literary quality to her work that is becoming somewhat rare.

I'll have to spend some time looking for passages that illustrate what I mean.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I haven't read any of the authors other books yet.  I would describe the writing style in this book as methodical and meticulous.  I am about to start chapter 30 in part two, Milburn, New York (and I will be holding there for a week while I quickly read Skeletons at the Feast to talk with Chris Bohjalian next week), and I feel the "action" is moving slowly.  However, I don't mind that.  This is a book which takes us into the mind of Rebecca.  Clearly, her childhood had a huge impact on the woman we catch a glimpse of in the first part of the book, Chautauqua Falls, New York, and we need to understand that completely. 

I like the use of the italicized sentences. They make me pause and think about what they refer to, who said them, why Rebecca is thinking that thought now, etc.

Does Joyce Carol Oates writing style change, depending on the book, or is this representative of her writing style?
Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I love Oates style - down to earth and yet there is a literary quality to her work that is becoming somewhat rare.

Yes, down to earth, simple, easy to follow, not pretentious, yet literary.
Laura

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Laura,

Absolutely, methodical and meticulous!  There were points during the story where I wished the pace would pick up, but I think I was just wanting to know what was going to happen! 

I'm planning to read Chris' book over the weekend, I have no plans other than lying around in the sun reading. :smileyhappy: 
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 424 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: