Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Christmas-Themed Books

I always enjoy reading books with a Christmas theme at this time of year. Debbie Macomber has written some great books: Christmas Letters, There's Something About Christmas, Home for the Holidays, etc.

There are also light-hearted romances and romance anthologies, like Santa Baby, The Night Before Christmas, and Regency Christmas Wishes. There are Christmas mysteries like
Shakespeare's Christmas by Charlaine Harris.

The Christmas Box, The Christmas Shoes, The Christmas Quilt, and The Christmas Blessing are all warm stories. And of course, there's the tradtional: A Christmas Carol and even How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LadyNyteLyte
0 Kudos

Re: Christmas-Themed Books

This time of year I browse the holiday book displays and usually pick up at least half a dozen.

So far this year I have picked up

Debbie Macomber's Christmas Letters
Max Lucado's The Christmas Candle
Nora Roberts' First Impressions

Will not start to read them until December and who knows what else I will get before the holidays are over.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LadyNyteLyte wrote:
This time of year I browse the holiday book displays and usually pick up at least half a dozen.

Will not start to read them until December and who knows what else I will get before the holidays are over.

You'll enjoy Christmas Letters. I did, but then again, I enjoy all Debbie Macomber's writing. I have two more of her Christmas books to be read: Angels Everywhere and A Gift to Last, as well as Nora Roberts' First Impressions. It'll be the first Nora Roberts book I've ever read. I'm currently reading Gifts of Love which is 2 stories - one each by Kay Hooper and Lisa Kleypas. They're regency. I've finished Kay Hooper's, and it was different and good.

I'm always looking for more to read!

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 11-27-200612:22 PM

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
jweinstein
0 Kudos

Christmas-Themed Books

Not a book, but still worthwhile:

Sufjan Stevens' CD, Songs for Christmas.

Stevens is the composer/musician behind the sublime albums, Michigan and Illinois. (He's said, half-seriously, that his mission is to record an album for each of our 50 states.) I've heard mixed things about it, but it seems worth checking out. Certainly, it's unexpected.

-Jerry the Moderator
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I saw that CD at the store the other day, and it was reviewed in -- I think -- Entertainment Weekly this week, too. I had never heard of the guy and all of a sudden, I can't get away from this CD!
BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

One book that was a favorite of mine as a boy, which is not a Christmas story per se but is very much involved with the Christmas season is Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780689829833

This is strictly speaking a "young adult" fantasy -- written in the seventies -- but it has a wonderfully compelling story, great characters, and it draws delightfully upon a combination of Arthurian and other British myths and legends. The story of this book (one of a series, but it's a fine place to start) is set around and through the Christmas season, with wassailing and other English traditions providing much of the atmosphere. For adults, it's a short read, but just as good a page-turner to curl up with on a cold winter's night as any!

Bill

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

I just bought A Gift to Last and I read Angel's Everywhere last year. I love those angels!
Frequent Contributor
jweinstein
0 Kudos

Sufjan

Becke_Davis,

Again, I haven't yet sampled his Xmas album, but I LOVE both Illinois and Michigan. Terrific listens both.

-Jerry the Mod
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

LadyNyteLyte wrote:

You'll enjoy Christmas Letters. I did, but then again, I enjoy all Debbie Macomber's writing. I have two more of her Christmas books to be read: Angels Everywhere and A Gift to Last, as well as Nora Roberts' First Impressions. It'll be the first Nora Roberts book I've ever read. I'm currently reading Gifts of Love which is 2 stories - one each by Kay Hooper and Lisa Kleypas. They're regency. I've finished Kay Hooper's, and it was different and good.

I'm always looking for more to read!

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 11-27-200612:22 PM

I do the same thing this time of year. I have a seperate list of Christmas books and try to read as many of them as I can. I think I have listed almost all of the ones mentioned on here. Unfortunately I'm not getting through the list as quickly as I'd like to. Those pesky chores this time of year like shopping, decorating, tending to my children...sometimes they preventing me from being lazy and just reading. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

I do the same thing this time of year. I have a seperate list of Christmas books and try to read as many of them as I can. I think I have listed almost all of the ones mentioned on here. Unfortunately I'm not getting through the list as quickly as I'd like to. Those pesky chores this time of year like shopping, decorating, tending to my children...sometimes they preventing me from being lazy and just reading. :smileywink:

So true, so true! Try Philip Gulley's The Christmas Scrapbook. It's a short, sweet, & funny story about a man's attempt to create a scrapbook for his wife for Christmas and all the misunderstandings that ensue. It's a quick read! :smileyhappy:
Liz ♥ ♥

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

So true, so true! Try Philip Gulley's The Christmas Scrapbook. It's a short, sweet, & funny story about a man's attempt to create a scrapbook for his wife for Christmas and all the misunderstandings that ensue. It's a quick read! :smileyhappy:

I did read that and it was so cute! I've read that whole series and loved it. The characters and their stories are so funny in small town, USA. Have you read any of them? The Jan Karon series about the town of Mitford is very similar but not as funny.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

I did read that and it was so cute! I've read that whole series and loved it. The characters and their stories are so funny in small town, USA. Have you read any of them? The Jan Karon series about the town of Mitford is very similar but not as funny.

I didn't realize it was part of a series; I've never read Gulley before. I'm going to add him to my evergrowing (in leaps & bounds) list of books to be read! :smileyhappy:
Liz ♥ ♥

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

I didn't realize it was part of a series; I've never read Gulley before. I'm going to add him to my evergrowing (in leaps & bounds) list of books to be read! :smileyhappy:

I enjoyed it more reading the series in order. You probably don't have to but the characters will make more sense that way. It's clean humor but still very funny. The books read very fast.

The first two books are "Home To Harmony" and "Just Shy Of Harmony". Enjoy!
Frequent Contributor
LadyNyteLyte
0 Kudos

That was a good one .... every one should read it !!!
Users Online
Currently online:19 members 420 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: