Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

rkubie wrote:
Bentley,

Would enjoy it if you did jump in! Our group has been very low key, and I'm a great fan of this novel, so would like to hear more conversation about it.

Me too..Rachel.

I noticed not only the diametrically opposed opinions but that there were not many folks posting at all. But I actually liked the first chapter and think it is fairly good writing; I liked Lahiri's early attempts better but it is just a stylistic preference I assume.

Anyways, I hope you won't let me down as I read this novel; I think what it will do is to introduce me to a perspective which is not my own; but is certainly how certain groups and even Desai might feel about globalization or colonialism.

Bentley
New User
istanbul
0 Kudos

Hi!
I have recently read this book for our book club in Istanbul Turkey. Ours is a 3 member only book club and all 3 of us fell deeply in love with this book. I admit its not easy to read because it really needs you to stop and breath at times. But it's insights on the beauties and the flaws of the human heart are priceless. I really can't wait to join your discussions.

Love
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls must dive below.

All for Love. 1678
John Dryden
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

istanbul wrote:
Hi!
I have recently read this book for our book club in Istanbul Turkey. Ours is a 3 member only book club and all 3 of us fell deeply in love with this book. I admit its not easy to read because it really needs you to stop and breath at times. But it's insights on the beauties and the flaws of the human heart are priceless. I really can't wait to join your discussions.

Love

Istanbul...please join in. I would love to hear your thoughts on the book. I know that Rachel has set up quite a few threads already and I am enjoying the raw power of the book as well. You are right,,it is not easy to read; but very worthwhile nonetheless. I know that I am very much looking forward to your comments and insights as well.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 01-24-2008 09:14 PM
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Welcome, Istanbul! I'd like to hear more about your group's discussion of the novel, too. We've had such a variety of responses, I'm surprised to hear your group had some consensus! But perhaps you are a close group with similar tastes? I'll look forward to your comments.

Rachel
Contributor
bookaddict18
0 Kudos

I decided to pick this book up from the library and join this club because reading the description of it intrigued me. I like to read anything and everything so that I can expand my horizons and feed my brain. I try to read all reviews of a book but like with movies, don't take many of them to heart because everyone has different tastes. I look forward to starting this book and joining the discussion!
Thank you,
Heather
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:
Hi everyone,

I read with interest the introductions and first impressions. I had always wanted to read this book and unfortunately had too many books in my to be read pile.

I think I will go pick up a copy and see what I think. I am sure that most of you will be far ahead of me since I am starting so late.

But as I catch up, I can jump in where appropriate. I have found that the Man Booker Prize awards do seem to go to books which are considered by some to be more "literary" or "artsy". Ones which seem to have some underlying message.

Anyways, I will take a chance and see what this one teaches me.

I was very intrigued by the spectrum of diametrically opposed comments; so much so I wanted to take a chance and see for myself.

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 01-16-2008 08:19 PM

Well, I share your idea about jumping in. truthfully, I forgot this was on and thus have not read the book yet. It has been on my B&N wish list for ages. I am delighted with the controversy and initially intrigued by title and the thought of a Himalayan story or immigrant sstory, I am now into wanting to make an opinion on the reading. LOL. Off to order and will join the discussion . Joan
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 1,107 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: