Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Sai

In many ways, our most central character is also the least developed character of the novel--but of course, she is very young!

Is this a coming-of-age novel for her? Would you agree that she is the central character of the novel, or simply the character we happen to open the novel with?

Do you have hopes for her love story--or is it beside the point?

Her closest relationship in the novel may be with the cook. Do they genuinely care for each other, or are they simply keeping each other company?
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Sai

rkubie wrote:
In many ways, our most central character is also the least developed character of the novel--but of course, she is very young!

Is this a coming-of-age novel for her? Would you agree that she is the central character of the novel, or simply the character we happen to open the novel with?

Do you have hopes for her love story--or is it beside the point?

Her closest relationship in the novel may be with the cook. Do they genuinely care for each other, or are they simply keeping each other company?

Somewhere I read that Sai's name came in part from the last part of Kiran Desai's last name. I am wondering if the author didn't see some of herself in this central character.

What I have also learned is that Sai's parents were killed somehow and she came to live with the judge. I am not sure yet the family relationship.

Sai seems pretty isolated and afraid of the judge. She sets up a separate existence in the house and seems to understand where the cook is coming from. I think she is lonely and melancholy, the only female in a less than feminine environment. She does stand up to the police and to the boy thieves. I think she has a lot of gumption for a young girl. Right now, I think she feels that love will release her from her sense of isolation and loss.

As I learn more about her, I will add to this section. But I think it is suffice to say that she views herself as alone in the world even though she is living with others.

Bentley
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 640 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: