Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Chapters 10-18 (No spoilers, please)

Again, for readers who like to discuss as they read, please do not discuss areas of the plot after the end of Chapter 18.  Thank you!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters 10-18 (No spoilers, please)

ELee gave us some excellent information showing that the wife-swapping incident Hardy used to introduce the story was not an invention, but a historic reality.

Then I read in chapter 11 about the coliseum that "that for scores of years the town-gallows had stood at one corner; that in 1705 a woman who had murdered her husband was half-strangled and then burnt there in the presence of ten thousand spectators." I'm wondering whether these events, too, were historically based.
0 Kudos

The incident with the pennies used to close Susan Henchard's eyes was both amusing and, I found, interesting. It presented a legitimate moral dilemma in the lives of the very poor.

Should respect for the wishes of the dead prevent the use of money for the relief of misery of the poor? It wasn't desecrating her grave; the pennies were buried not with her but separately in the garden once they had performed their function of closing her eyes. Henchard had no interest in them. Should they have just been left there to be found, perhaps, by some gardener a hundred years or more later who was perhaps turning over the ground to plant a new tree? Or was it right to make use of them by those who had so little that four pennies were a meaningful addition to their happiness?
0 Kudos

Yeah a sort of four pennies or eternal damnation type of situation.

But on a different note, I just read Jude the Obscure and have decided that Hardy likes to use 4 characters and develop their relationships. I like this though. It allows the reader to really understand the relationships that develop.
Users Online
Currently online: 60 members 1,023 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: