Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. Let us know which of Thomas Hardy's other novels you have read, and what draws you to The Mayor of Casterbridge.

And if you've read The Mayor of Casterbridge, be careful not to post any plot spoilers!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Reader 2
SusanMargaret
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello to all,

It has been over a year since I have participated in a Barnes and Noble Book Club discussion and I am glad to be back. I have read Far From the Madding Crowd and The Return of the Native. I enjoyed both books. I look forward to our discussions.

Susan M
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Susan M.!  We're glad to have you back as well!  I hope you enjoy discussing Mayor with us.

~ConnieK

SusanMargaret wrote:
Hello to all,

It has been over a year since I have participated in a Barnes and Noble Book Club discussion and I am glad to be back. I have read Far From the Madding Crowd and The Return of the Native. I enjoyed both books. I look forward to our discussions.

Susan M

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I've read and reread most of Hardy's familiar novels. I appreciate his fine descriptions, his unique characters, and the glimpses he gives into the issues of life and philosophy that he is dealing with himself.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome to the book club, Laurel!

~ConnieK

Laurel wrote:
I've read and reread most of Hardy's familiar novels. I appreciate his fine descriptions, his unique characters, and the glimpses he gives into the issues of life and philosophy that he is dealing with himself.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
emmajane
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am very excited to read another Hardy novel having just finished Jude the Obscure. I really enjoyed it so am thrilled to read another one. Especially with the bonus of discussing it with others.

Emmajane
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Emmajane! 

Several members are currently reading Mayor.  I hope you'll feel free to join, or start, discussion on any topic from the novel that intetersts you!

~ConnieK

emmajane wrote:
Hello,

I am very excited to read another Hardy novel having just finished Jude the Obscure. I really enjoyed it so am thrilled to read another one. Especially with the bonus of discussing it with others.

Emmajane

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I've read most of Hardy (and there's a lot more he wrote than was listed in the Recommended Reading thread -- those are probably the editions B&N Classics have issued, and are indeed his major works, but some of his lesser known works are still excellent -- I think, for example, of Under the Greenwood Tree, A Laodecean, Two on a Tower, the Woodlanders, among others) and look forward to discussiong Mayor, but it may be a week until I can bring it up to the top of my reading pile. I've read it at least twice before, but not recently.
0 Kudos

Welcome, Everyman!  Whenever Mayor makes it to the top of your reading pile, we'll all benefit from hearing your comments.  Jump in any time!

~ConnieK

Everyman wrote:
I've read most of Hardy (and there's a lot more he wrote than was listed in the Recommended Reading thread -- those are probably the editions B&N Classics have issued, and are indeed his major works, but some of his lesser known works are still excellent -- I think, for example, of Under the Greenwood Tree, A Laodecean, Two on a Tower, the Woodlanders, among others) and look forward to discussiong Mayor, but it may be a week until I can bring it up to the top of my reading pile. I've read it at least twice before, but not recently.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
CoquetteinaCorset
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Sabrina.  This is my first time in this book club and am enjoying it already.  I'm a student in college.  I major in English literature and enjoy reading Victorian novels. ( Among a vast amount of genres, including vampire books) I just got done reading The Mayor of Casterbridge.  It was very well written and completely dramatic. 
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 790 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: