In honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, bestselling author Alice Hoffman visits the NOOK Blog today to share inspirational tips from her new book Survival Lessons, a collection of astute sentiments inspired by her own struggle with cancer. Rather than focusing on the disease itself, Alice provides simple yet powerful suggestions on finding the beauty around us - as well as taking life-changing journeys - even during the darkest of times. Survival Lessons is now available on NOOK.
- Buy maps, guidebooks, a new suitcase.
- Think of a place where you can find peace or adventure. I long for oceans, beaches, blue skies. I favor beach towns: Provincetown, Monterey, Montauk. I love them in the summer, when they're crowded and noisy, and even more off-season, when I can walk the beach alone.
- Pack up your car. Get plane tickets. Opt for the train. Go with your best friend or invite the long-lost love of your life. Go alone or, better yet, take your dog.
- Travels with Charley, which tells the story of his journey crisscrossing the country, searching for the heart of America in the company of his beloved poodle, Charley.
- If you can't take a trip sometimes the best journeys can be found in a book. Roddy Doyle's Ireland, Dennis Lehane's Boston, Sue Grafton's California, Ernest Hemingway's Paris.
- Go out to your own backyard or to a park down the street. Open your book. Let the journey begin.
For more inspirational ideas, watch Alice Hoffman's Survival Lessons video here.
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.