BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Crossing Genres

Nora Roberts is particularly notable not just because of her immense popularity -- or her ability to create such a wealth of bestsellers -- but because of her ability to cross and combine different genres. Although there is frequently a romantic core to her novels, she has successfully incorporated mystery and thriller elements into many of her books. The In Death series not only brings in mystery, but a futuristic setting as well. In her Circle Trilogy, she places her characters in a fully imagined fantasy world.

What makes Roberts able to cross genre boundaries so fluidly? Do you have a preference for a type of Roberts tale. What do you consider outstanding examples of each?

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: mystery and thriller elements

Let's take a look at those books in which she used elements from the mystery and thriller genres. Is there one or two that stand out among the rest as great examples of this? Why?
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: fantasy and futuristic elements

[ Edited ]
In the circle of books she has written utilizing fantasy and/or futuristic elements, which one or ones stands out as a really great read? Why? What is fantastic about it? What about the books using futuristic elements?

How does she weave the expectations of readers of romance and readers of fantasy together? Does she try to blend certain aspects or instead create a world that allows both to live alongside one another?

Message Edited by clarepayton on 11-20-200603:23 PM

LadyNyteLyte
0 Kudos

Re: fantasy and futuristic elements

Wow that is a lot to get around.

I think she manages in either genre to combine they mystery/thriller with the romance so that they seem interwoven and would most likely be flat if she did not create the right mix. As for the futuristic/fantasy that is part of what she does and does well.

I do not know what her secret recipe is but whatever it works and works very well. None of her stories are flat or seem repiticious. Each could stand alone and yet advance the characters and plots. There are some authors who seem to get "stale" from time to time but she never does. The reader is able to immerse thenselves in the plots and characters and when a trilogy is done one misses the "home" and "friends" we have come to know and love or hate.

She just has the knack of making each book seem new, exciting and different.
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

How does she stay "fresh"?

I've heard a number of you say in here how Roberts continues to write books that feel "fresh," that each character and plot seems new. Is it because the characters are so different from each other? The plots so diverse? Or, is there something else at work?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: How does she stay "fresh"?

She definitely can be formulaic, but since her formulas seem to work for millions of readers, I guess she has decided not to mess with success. But within each genre/format, she does vary her writing and characters considerably. After just reading my first two of her best-seller-type novels (Blue Smoke, Angels Fall) I can see why they are so popular. But those are very different from, say, her Irish books. Roberts has her own style of writing, but she is able to tweak it to work in the style of mysteries, romances, historicals, fantasy, science fiction, and a combination of all of those. That is no easy task!
New User
boxerlover
0 Kudos

Re: How does she stay "fresh"?

I think this is a fantastic post....not many (if any) "popular" fiction writers can write novels crossing over into so many genre's. Looking at others Authors books, Patterson, Fay & J. Kellerman, Woods etc. they are thrill/mystery writers who use romance or a love match to add a little something to their story while adhering to the here, now and plausible. Nora Roberts on the other hand most always has a romance, a thrill and steps into varied genre's like futurstic settings and fantasy. I read ALOT but fantasy and futuristic novels would noramlly get a pass from me. I read my first J.D. Robb novel (Born in Death) and have just finished the circle series. The only reason I gave them a try was the author. I enjoyed them so much I have ordered the other Born In... books and may even try a couple other fantasy books by other authors ( esp vampires, for some reason I really liked that aspect) NR is able to (at least for me) write these novels incorporating what she is great at (romance) with a change of setting.
Leah
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:7 members 251 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: