Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Robb v. Roberts

Roberts also writes her "In Death" series as her alter-ego, J. D. Robb. What are some of the main differences you've noticed in Roberts and Robb's writing styles?

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
New User
lala0203
0 Kudos

Re: Robb v. Roberts

I love both Robb & Roberts books so I am not trying to be mean or anything like that. Having said that, the style difference I have noticed (I have probably read all of them) is that the "Robb" style is a little more intense and hardcore, almost rough. I think that is because she is writing the series that she is writing. The things she writes about and the graphic detail she goes into is much more intense in the "In Death" series.
Contributor
Seckley
0 Kudos

I have to agree that the Robb books are a more "in-your-face" style of writing. But it goes with the story she is telling. When you're reading on of Roberts books, you expect to be transported to a place where the edges are a it warm & fuzzy. But with a Robb book, you go into it knowing a bit of the evil found in the real world is there, and you expect the edges to be sharp and sometimes jagged. I am amazed the same person can produce such wonderful books in in both styles - and have them be believable.
New User
jackie1196
0 Kudos

i absolutely love anything from jc robb and can't wait to get my handsd on it. Nora roberts to me is wonderful writer that can crank a good tear jerker love story and next write about a woman who always has death on her hands. I am in shock how a writer can go from one extreme to another and it feels like it is in midgear. But that is what makes nora roberts such a great writer.
Contributor
Seckley
0 Kudos

Don't forget her newest book, Born In Death is out November 7th!!!!
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: Robb v. Roberts: Why might the author want to do this?

[ Edited ]
Did it surprise you to find out that these writers are one and the same person? What does this say about writers? Is it possible that she found herself confined by her authorial persona "Nora Roberts?" When she wanted to try something new, do you think she wanted to create this new name and persona or do you think there were other factors involved?

Message Edited by clarepayton on 10-31-200611:10 AM

clarepayton
0 Kudos

Robb vs. Roberts: plot lines and main characters

We've commented that her tone is different. How are the plot lines and main characters different?
PWazz1
0 Kudos

Re: Robb v. Roberts: Why might the author want to do this?

I've heard it said, and it makes a lot of sense, that she wanted to continue the characters beyond a couple of books. Her trilogies as Nora Roberts are great, but when they're done, they're done. J. D. Robb has allowed people like Mavis to grow (okay, no pun intended, since we know she's due to "deliver" in, what is it now, six days from today in the new book?). And just look at the way the relationships between the other peripheral characters themselves and the relationships they have with Eve and Roarke have changed over the series (as only one example, how about Peabody/McNab, and the importance they both have to Eve and Roarke, as well as to each other). Being able to spend longer than three books with these characters has given Roberts the opportunity to really develop them into a family, both in terms of each other and in terms of her readers.
New User
llrose07
0 Kudos

Re: Robb vs. Roberts: plot lines and main characters

The main characters are a little more rough and real in my eyes. And although there is romance in each and every plot with the various main characters, the plot line focuses more on the suspense aspect of these stories. I love both types, but I must admit my true addiction to the Robb books!
New User
twinsmomfeb
0 Kudos

i like Robbs and Roberts . I think i like Robbs the best because it has more mystery than Roberts.I have read most all of her books and just read vally of silents. I am waiting on both in death that comes out today.I can't wait to read it
Frequent Contributor
LadyNyteLyte
0 Kudos

Picked it up on Friday and plan to start it Sunday nite before turning out the light and going to sleep.
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

the Robb series

It's almost like the Robb series that she publishes are like television shows. Over time, you learn a great deal about all the characters and many things happen to them.

I wonder if the romantic element of her Roberts books limits her from making them into series. Because romance is one of those things that is hard to continue for a long time--we all know that! And, if a romantic union is the pinacle of romance, what happens after that? (Well, we all know that, too.)
bookluv17
0 Kudos

I just finished Born In Death last night, and I was pleased with the intensity, but it didn't seem to be as tightly written as others. Also, I read the two "shorts", Interlude in Death and Midnight In Death. Has anyone any comments about these, as compared to the other, longer Death novels?

Also, on the comparison, the newest trilogy, The Circle, has anyone felt that the tone and tempo seem to be different than the usual Nora Roberts? In the area I live in, as a volunteer librarian, I've been told that she's licencing out her name to other writers. I've replied that I doubt it, but are there any reactions?
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

I have to agree with those that said her writing as Roberts is tougher than Robb. I like Nora Roberts but enjoy JD Robb better. Roberts to me is becoming so "cookie cutter", type.
I was introduced to JD Robb about a year ago and told that it was Nora Roberts, I took my time getting around to reading it. Once I did, I was hooked. I have been to the web sight and now carry a copy of all the JD Robb books in order because I have been buying them and reading them in order whenever possible.
Even though I like Nora Roberts, this would never occur to me with any of those books.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel wrote:
I have to agree with those that said her writing as Roberts is tougher than Robb. I like Nora Roberts but enjoy JD Robb better. Roberts to me is becoming so "cookie cutter", type.
I was introduced to JD Robb about a year ago and told that it was Nora Roberts, I took my time getting around to reading it. Once I did, I was hooked. I have been to the web sight and now carry a copy of all the JD Robb books in order because I have been buying them and reading them in order whenever possible.
Even though I like Nora Roberts, this would never occur to me with any of those books.

Sorry, wrote that backwards. Robb is tougher than Roberts. (smile).
New User
Milhoue65
0 Kudos

Nora Roberts is a wonderful romantic writer who knows how to create new characters that you can care about quickly and want to see end up happily ever after. JD Robb writes about death and mystery while working in those amazing characters that continue to grow book after book. I do think that the JD Robb series allows Nora a freedom to write a little more down and dirty than most romance fans would tolerate. Alot of people feel the usual murder mystery too gruesome(too much detail of the death scenes. JD Robb series allows us to combine the best of both worlds for a fun yet intense reading experience.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 249 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: