Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

The Roberts Heroine

In a television interview with Entertainment Tonight, Roberts revealed, "I would have a hard time writing a heroine who is emotionally and physically dominated by someone and considered him the love of her life."

Who are some of your favorite Roberts heroines, and what are some of their most admirable traits?

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
New User
Nabikigirl
0 Kudos

Re: The Roberts Heroine

It's hard to choose just one because each heroine is special. The one that I love the most is Cilla O'Roarke from Night Shift. She's stuborn and brave. Even though in the story she's been stalked; she won't let this situation stop her from doing what she likes to do. Don't get me wrong, she's scared and worried but just won't let the situation dictate her life.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Well, I finally succumbed and bought the gardening trilogy: Blue Dahlia, Black Rose and Red Lily. I've read the first two, started the third. I have to say, these are women I would like to know. First of all, I'm a garden writer so the fact that a lot of the action takes places either in the garden center owned by one of the heroines or at the site of landscaping jobs is one big point that draws my interest. Second, a sub-plot focuses on genealogy -- the history of one of the families involved. Since I am a genealogy buff, point two in favor of this series. And even though I'm not a southerner (does it count that I was born in Hot Springs, Arkansas, even though I never lived there?) and I live north of the Mason-Dixon line (about 8 miles from it, in fact), the characters of these women just ring true.

Even though the story line involves a ghost (and quite a ghost, no wisp of mist here) and I thought that might bug me, in fact, the ghost story line is fascinating and any mother will relate (probably most non-moms, too).

I don't know if I'd say this is my favorite series -- I'd still go for the Donovans or Three Sisters Island -- but if the characters in these books were real people, the three women in this series are the ones I would want to hang out with.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

After rereading my post, I have to apologize for all the parentheses. And add the MacKades to my list of favorites.
New User
murkey
0 Kudos

I must say that my favorite Roberts heroines are in the MacGregor series. Serena, Anna, and Shelby have always struck a chord with me. Shelby MacGregor tackles her problems with independence and humor.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 437 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: