Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Would you forfeit sleep?

Becke made a humorous remark about forfeiting sleep to keep up with her Nora Roberts habit (and with her other reading). Would you lose sleep? Or, should I say, DO you lose sleep reading Nora Roberts books?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Would you forfeit sleep?

No joke, I'm ALWAYS putting reading before sleep, always have. The trouble is, I hate putting a book down until I've finished it. And since, amazingly, I do have a life outside of books, I don't sleep a lot! But occasionally I come across books that just won't let me read them in a day -- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, the Harry Potter books, most books 500 pages or more -- so then I just have to suffer and stretch it out. My husband is the exact opposite. He likes to stretch out his reading, and he will often have four or five books going at the same time. We both think the other is nuts!
Contributor
mimi2980
0 Kudos

I definitely would choose a Nora book over sleep! Hahaha! As a matter of fact, I haven't just lost sleep becuase I'm finishing a Nora book, but also anticipating her future books. It's just so addicting! I have read lots of other books from other authors in the past, but eversince I started reading Nora's books regularly in May of this year, it's taking me a hard time reading other books from other authors. I'm from the Philippines, and some of her earlier works are not readily available in our bookstores here. Good thing I can purchase them online (they may be costly especially the shipping cost, but they are well worth it), and some were purchased for me in the US by my bestfriend and brought them here when she came home last week to spend the holiday here. I'm a little scared that I may suffer from withdrawal symptoms after I read all of her books, but at least I can catch up on my sleep while I'm waiting for her new ones to come out. I don't mind reading the ones I've read before all over again though, that's how much I love her work!
New User
bookluv17
0 Kudos

Absolutely. I've been doing it for years, trying to live 27 hours a day, and have thus read lots of books. I even went and took a speed-reading course at a community college, to increase the amount I can read. Words in a line, my addiction.
Contributor
ozdiamondlil
0 Kudos

I too quite regularly lose sleep because of my reading habit.

When I listened to the Chesapeake series of books by Nora, I ended up just driving, driving, driving so I wouldn't feel guilty about just sitting in the car to listen to them!!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I am a really fast reader, and I think I have been ever since I had an early bedtime as a kid and had to finish those Nancy Drew books before light's out! I'm interested to see that you go the route of audio books. I occasionally listen to those on long trips to and from Chicago, but I've been put off a few times by the voice/accent or just something irritating about the person reading the book. It was like I became focused on the voice rather than what they were reading. Does anyone else have that problem with audiobooks, or are there particular readers that are especially good?
New User
fijpfi
0 Kudos

I often don't get to bed until after 2am. I read alot for my school. The NYRA (Nevada Young Readers Awards) list is really long. I read those inbetween my Nora Roberts. I've gotten everything read except the Born in Death. I'm hoping to get it for my birthday so I haven't bought it yet.
Frequent Contributor
Namarie
0 Kudos

I have to admit While reading the Circle Trilogy I lost alot of sleep. My eyes were burning and tearing and I actually went to sleep at 5 in the morning the last day because I read the whole thing in three days. I just love Nora's books and I don't mind loosing sleep over something thats fun and interesting.....Although there are, but rarely I have to honestly admit I have to get my dictionary to understand a word because English is not my first language...
"Live for me, Moira. Even a world apart, I'll know that you do and be content."
"Once I told you if it could beat, it would beat for you. It does." Cian to Moira in Valley of Silence by NR

This just broke my heart and out sadness and happiness.
New User
deemorgan6
0 Kudos

I have stayed up all night to finish an In Death book. There is a certain point in the books when I just can't put them down and must finish them
New User
momof3boys
0 Kudos

clarepayton wrote:
Becke made a humorous remark about forfeiting sleep to keep up with her Nora Roberts habit (and with her other reading). Would you lose sleep? Or, should I say, DO you lose sleep reading Nora Roberts books?

Absolutley! I am sleep deprived right now. I just finished Public Secrets last night. It was such a page turner. I couldnt wait to get to the end. Now I am without a book to read! :smileysad:
New User
morrigan6
0 Kudos

would i yes . bc i have insomnia any ways so oh well but i have realized her books have keept me from nightmares . i guess that i am so busy trying to figure out what her next move is going to be
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 176 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: