Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Anarel
0 Kudos

A Warning; You cannot return/refund ebooks!

[ Edited ]

Just thought I'd let everyone know, as said by Barnes and Noble, "Once purchased, eBooks cannot be refunded."

Sony too, has that policy concerning eBooks; "Please confirm all purchases before you complete them as all sales are final. There are no refunds for digital content."

Amazon however... "Any content you purchase for Kindle from the Amazon Kindle store is eligible for return and refund if we receive your request within 7 days of the date of purchase."

Why is this significant, might you ask?

What if a book is purchased accidently? What if you buy the wrong one in that series you wanted? What if a friend you are showing your Nook off to hits the wrong key on that cute touchscreen? What if you purchase a book and find horrendeous formatting errors, spelling errors, or key images missing?

"Too bad," essentially says Barnes and Noble.

"A shame," agrees Sony.

"Call Kindle Customer Service or send us an e-mail," answers Amazon. "We'll refund you."

It's something to think about if you're thinking of purchasing a Nook, as I am.

Contributor
d_light
0 Kudos

Re: A Warning; You cannot return/refund ebooks!

Another issue here is what if the e-book has bad formatting! I get an e-book from Amazon that had an entire chapter missing! Would I be avle to return it to B&N?

Frequent Contributor
pipersline
0 Kudos

I asked a question earlier about an accidental purchase by my 3 1/2 year old, although the admin didn't answer my question about refunds you did. I also asked about password protected purchases, and there is no password for purchases.  Silly to me because alot of people have kids and will accidentaly purchase ebooks, even if a parent takes steps to prevent the little ones from getting ahold of the device.  I preordereed 2 nooks. Myself and one for xmas for my dad, however, I am very seriously considering a Kindle for these reasons.

1. Gift card purchases not allowed by BN but allowed by Amazon

2. No refunds on accidental purchases

3. 1 lend EVER

4. Price comparison on ebooks for BN vs. Amazon

5. No password for ebook purchases

Don't get me wrong I totally WANT the Nook to blow Kindle out of the water, I am on the Nook bandwagon, but after serious consideration, and if certain issues aren't clairified or just simply changed altogether, consider me fallen off the wagon...  The sad part is I really, really want the Nook to win.

Inspired Contributor
gjrice
0 Kudos

I really don't see how the fact that you can only lend a book once would make you buy a kindle over the nook since you can't lend at all with the kindle.

Does the kindle have a password for ebook purchases? I didn't think it did. You might want to ask if you can lock the device (like a cell phone) rather than have a password for purchases. I would think the nook would likely have something like that as an option.

B&N is updating their ebook price list quite often with lower prices. There is a thread about it... check it out.

As for gift card purchases that is the most logical reason to choose the kindle over the nook. I can't be sure, but I would be greatly surprised if they don't accept them before too much longer (months).

I have a 15 month old child and a 6 year old child myself. Unless the price of the book was really high I would take the book purchase as a lesson to myself that I should keep better tabs on my nook in the future.  My little loves to play with my cell phone so I understand your worries :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Anarel
0 Kudos

Uhm, I wasn't talking about lending or passwords...

M9
Frequent Contributor
M9
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was doing comparison shopping after the Nook was announced between Barnes and Noble and Amazon.

I was checking out Stephen King's The Stand.  7.95 on Amazon. 40 on B&N.  I clicked on the book icon on the B&N Website because I wanted to see if you had to pay tax on it and I was hoping I could tell without purchasing the book.

Now, listen to this. I clicked on the icon and all of a sudden it says you just purchased the book.

That is right, folks. It did not ask for ANY confirmation whatsoever.  I couldn't believe it. I have never bought anything on the internet where you don't get that step where you are asked to confirm. 

It was late at night so I couldn't even call them until morning.

I called and they said, sorry we do not do refunds on ebooks.

I told them I did not buy this book. I made a mistake. And I already read The Stand. And why would anyone buy a 40 ebook? I said are you crazy.  She said  well, you have a point. Let me talk to my supervisor.  Her supervisor?  I waited and waited and after much deliberation and me arguing  my case, they gave me a refund. But I was told that we are making an exception.  I think it was because even they could not believe the 40 price.  They also said it was because they could see that I had not downloaded the book. If I had downloaded it, they would have not given me my money back. As if I was going to download a forty dollar ebook that I did not want or did not really even purchase.

I bought my mother a Kindle. She has made several book buying mistakes. She is an older person. She told me she called Kindle Customer Service and they could not be nicer. No questions asked.  Refund.

I myself have returned Kindle ebooks for one reason or another. They could not be nicer.

This, again, is a reflection of B&N brick and mortar mentality.  You'd think they would take a look at this part of their business.  It's not how things are done any more.  

I have had a Kindle 2 and a Kindle DX.  One of the best things about them is how safe I feel at Amazon.

Their Kindle support people are so amazingly nice it is unbelievable. Whenever you call that department they make you feel so good and that they will take care of you.

Months after I had my Kindle 2, the hinged book cover scratched the side of the Kindle. I had put it in wrong when attaching it. So I called and asked if they'd replace the cover and the Kindle. It was a huge request.

The guy said he'd do it for me.  That is how nice they were.  I ended up buying a Kindle DX, partly out of how happy I was to be a Kindle owner.

Now, I am purchasing a Nook. I love the features. I will only buy bestsellers for 9.99.  Anything else will be bought on Amazon. I figure that way I will be covered.  I do love the Nook.

But their rigid brick and mortar policies really sit in my way of feeling safe with Barnes and Noble. It is like dealing with a real store from the last century.  They have very strict return policies that are out of date. 

When you buy on the internet, it has been my experience that you can get your money back within a certain time period.

By the way, what is the name of the thread about B&N updating their prices? Do you remember?

I have a feeling that they are inundated with orders for the Nook. That is it a huge success. And they are thrilled with the response.

I still think it is going to go through enormous growing pains down the road.  We'll see.  I wish them well. And, with that being said,  I cannot wait to get mine.

Inspired Contributor
Aminojaku
0 Kudos

M9 wrote:

Now, listen to this. I clicked on the icon and all of a sudden it says you just purchased the book.

That is right, folks. It did not ask for ANY confirmation whatsoever.  I couldn't believe it. I have never bought anything on the internet where you don't get that step where you are asked to confirm. 

That is correct. eBook purchases are 1-click instant purchases... same as at Amazon and some other eBooks stores. That is why it is a "Buy Now" button instead of the "Add to Cart" button. They tell you this in the eBook help section (FAQs) as well as in the link directly below the "Buy Now" button .

BTW: While B&N doesn't have the "Buy Now" option for their normal store, Amazon has it for everything. If you have it set up in your account, and you are logged in, then you can do an instant purchase on pretty much anything.  The reason it's not more common is because it's a licensing issue. Amazon owns the patent to instant online purchases and companies have to licence it from them if they want to do it.