Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Re: About Those Download Delays -- Updated 12/26

lc49, you need to pop the back off the nook and remove the battery, then reinstall the battery.  You'll need a small screwdriver to do this.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

You can register your nook over your local Wi-Fi. ... I just did it myself.

Be sure that you turn airplane mode off, and make sure your nook's Wi-Fi is on. Then, click Add Wi-Fi hotspot, and enter the credentials for your local network. You'll need the SSID, what security you have, and your password.

Once you're on the Wi-Fi, you should be able to register your nook.

Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Hey Kevin, you are the man for continuing to pony this down.  I just unregistered my nook to test it.  sure enough, all indications from the display at the top were that I was on wifi (i.e. the curved bands going up indicating wifi vs the horizontal bands going across indicating 3g).

I also tried it a second time with airplane mode on, and, of coourse, got the dreaded "Could not connect at this time.  Please try again."

I then turned airplane mode off, with wifi on, all indications from the display showed I was on wifi, and registered within seconds.

I would say either the indicator at the top of the display is showing wifi but somehow using 3G to register, or more likely people are turning airplane mode on on instead of off?

I dunno, but it seems to be working to me.  news to follow. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

The other thing to point out is that if you turn airplane mode on by mistake prior to registering, and then turn it back off, the wifi will have been turned off and you have to specifically turn it back on.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Kevin, by the way, it worked for me on 1.1.  What version are you on?  My thinking all along is that this is a version thing with 1.1.1, but please confirm what version you tried it on.  thanks!

New User
lucasgts
0 Kudos

Kevin wrote:

Good morning, everyone ...

We've received word that the download issues we experienced yesterday have been resolved.

If you tried downloading an eBook yesterday and got stuck in the queue, it's likely that your download completed  overnight. If it didn't, you should be able to sync again today by going to "my library" on your nook, and clicking "Check for new B&N content" on your nook's touchstones.

Sorry, all, for the inconvenience. We've got people monitoring the situation, and we thank you for your patience.

It’s been a busy day on the nook front – a little too busy. As noted elsewhere on this board, many customers are having a hard time getting eBooks downloaded onto their nooks.

We have people working on it, and expect to have things back to normal by midday on Saturday.

In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience. We’al post an update here when we have more details.

I purchased 2 eBooks yesterday. They still have not been downloaded to my nook. I almost purchased them again thinking my purchase did not go through.  I wonder how many people may be purchasing the books again -mB&N problem or B&N ploy? By the way, when one goes to the User Guide link, no manual, no PDF comes up. Just a blank screen.  I'm getting pretty steamed. Will let fpeople know to wait on purchasing the nook.

Frequent Contributor
Socrates20
0 Kudos

Press check for new content and see if they will download then. Also, to verify your purchase you can go on-line via your PC or MAC and check that they are indeed in your library.

By the way did you call support?

I have now purchased over 10 books without incident. To suspect that B&N is dishonest is just not right. We all know what happens when we assume. If you are not happy call them and find out what the problem might be.

Did you try turning your nook off and on again?

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

I agree with Socrates.  If your user guide won't even display then you at least need to try a reboot followed by check for new content, and if that doesn't work then pull the battery for a bit then reinsert and try again.

I don't blame you for being steamed but I think you'll enjoy it once you get it going.