Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
arrowspace90
0 Kudos

Re: Download Delays

Thank you B&N!  For correcting a glitch that should never have happened.

Yes, my daughter's book downloaded this morning in 1 second!  Truly I wonder what really went wrong yesterday.  I suspect that there was something other or more than a buried server.  There must still have been all the same pent up demand today, the 26th, as no one much had to go back to work, and yet now everything is fine.  Oh well.

OK, be advised, now the distinguished class of Dec 11 is going to start in on the book prices :smileyhappy:

so don't be thinking you are out of the woods.

And now my daughter has been hearing that people taking their nooks into the B&N store are getting a free cookie, so that better be there also!

Frequent Contributor
MaxP
0 Kudos

Re: About Those Download Delays -- Updated 12/26

Thanks for the update Kevin. BN needs to come up with a better way of communicating with their customers.

New User
kattunes
0 Kudos

My Nook book is gone! Firmware update on 12/26 has taken a book that I previously downlaoded wad was half way through reading.  I checked in my libarary but it's not there.... help this is frustrating.

New User
drdweiss
0 Kudos

Kevin,  Any word on download errors - such as a white screen and no text.  I have downloaded several books successfully but a few download with nothing but the title page and table of contents; no text.  What is causing that and can B&N fix it?

Scribe
Kevin

drdweiss wrote:

Kevin,  Any word on download errors - such as a white screen and no text.  I have downloaded several books successfully but a few download with nothing but the title page and table of contents; no text.  What is causing that and can B&N fix it?

I have to pass this one one, drdweiss. Meantime, let me ask you what software version you have? Go to settings, then turn to page 2, and look where it says software version. That will help diagnose.

Reader 2
faustinip
0 Kudos

Re:12/26 hooray it works!

Hooray! Woke up and fired up my new Nook first thing...all 3 bools I had bought on Christmas were there and ready to go! Yes, perspective is needed here, I agree with another writer...lots of personal tragedies are happening to folks around Christmas, and the fact I couldn't download my new toy isn't one of them. Thoughts and prayers to those who suffered real pain on Christmas.

Frequent Contributor
beckylola
0 Kudos

Thanks to Kevin and everyone else who did their best to help us out on Christmas!

New User
annad95
0 Kudos

Hi All--It is 4:50 pm on the East Coast and I have been waiting over half an hour to download a book. I am getting the "queued" message...is anybody else still having trouble? While I was glad to hear that this had been a problem yesterday, it seems as if most everybody has had it "fixed" today. Anybody, anybody?
Contributor
BratDet
0 Kudos

12/26

Had no problems searching for books while in the car(husband was driving). Driving rains!!! Nook worked great and downloaded books easily.

Went to a store and got my free cookie too! In the B&N I went to- they did not have the covers, so a lot of people complimented me on my green leaf one...
Downloaded some more stuff as we were traveling.....and no problems at all....almost like yesterdays glitch never happened!!

AWESOME!

Bernadette

Frequent Contributor
pepino
0 Kudos

I tested the free cookie thing at the Cary NC store today.  it works.

Frequent Contributor
captobie
0 Kudos

I had a newspaper stuck yesterday.  It did not download overnight, and I don't want to download it now because it was yesterdays paper.  I'm asking for a refund, but don't know if I'll get it or not.  At least I'm only out $0.75, but it still irks me.  One of the big reasons I wanted the nook was for the eNewspapers, if I can't rely on delivery what's the point?

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

kattunes,

I doubt that it is really gone.  I would suggest doing a Check for New Content in your library to resynch the list with the content (and which, if the book really is gone, will redownload the book from the B&N server).

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

I had problems downloading last night. But today, I was able to browse the store, download samples, and even buy a Daniel Silva book from a moving car. It was in a fairly ruralish/suburbanish area, too. BTW I wasn't the one driving. :smileywink:

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

annad95 wrote:
Hi All--It is 4:50 pm on the East Coast and I have been waiting over half an hour to download a book. I am getting the "queued" message...is anybody else still having trouble? While I was glad to hear that this had been a problem yesterday, it seems as if most everybody has had it "fixed" today. Anybody, anybody?

annad95,

I've checked with the tech side on this, and they're not seeing this as a continuing problem. Suggestion: Power off your nook and turn it back on. ... They think this will get you going again.

New User
Toni_Ne
0 Kudos

Since Christmas , late morning, I have been trying to register my nook.  I know  the wi fi is working, the nook has picked it up. I checked the B&N account , my password,  and done everything suggested.  I was given the support number which I found to be worthless because all I hear is music till I get tired of holding the phone.  Could my nook be broken? Are the servers overwhelmed? What next Kevin?

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Toni, if you check the Registering your Nook thread, you will find that another person has been told by B&N support that you can not currently register your nook via wifi (other than in a B&N store).  I personally find it hard to believe because it seems this would have been identified in the prior two weeks since there have been plenty of people registering in that timeframe.  But I checked and it actually does say that on page 34 of the user guide.  Still skeptical, I asked Kevin the moderator to check with his sources to see if that is the case.

On that same thread, I've posted some alternative sources of books that you can read on your nook until you can get it registered.  you might check over there so you can at least get going and ease your frustration.  They're wonderful little devices when you can actually use them, :smileyhappy:

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

steve10 wrote:

Toni, if you check the Registering your Nook thread, you will find that another person has been told by B&N support that you can not currently register your nook via wifi (other than in a B&N store).  I personally find it hard to believe because it seems this would have been identified in the prior two weeks since there have been plenty of people registering in that timeframe.  But I checked and it actually does say that on page 34 of the user guide.  Still skeptical, I asked Kevin the moderator to check with his sources to see if that is the case.

I have asked about the Wi-Fi registration question. Will return when I hear back.

New User
mstew52

I get a kick out of you people that sat we are whining because we can't use our nooks (so far I've been able to download one book for sure. Whoopie). It just froze up on me when I tried to open Pride and Prejudice and has yet to upload a Mag I subscribed to this morning. If you bought a new car and they told you half the stuff in it won't work till we get the bugs out would that be okay? I dont' think so. BTW, this web site wouldn't let me post with my Apple Computer using Safari. I had to switch to Firefox and I can't seem to get the ereader to work either. The engine will start any day now.

New User
lc49
0 Kudos

My nook is stuck, I can't even turn it off.

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos

pepino wrote:

I tested the free cookie thing at the Cary NC store today.  it works.

My free cookie tested fine in an Indiana store too!