Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

About Those Download Delays -- Updated 12/26

[ Edited ]

Good morning, everyone ...

We've received word that the download issues we experienced yesterday have been resolved.

If you tried downloading an eBook yesterday and got stuck in the queue, it's likely that your download completed  overnight. If it didn't, you should be able to sync again today by going to "my library" on your nook, and clicking "Check for new B&N content" on your nook's touchscreen.

Sorry, all, for the inconvenience. We've got people monitoring the situation, and we thank you for your patience.

It’s been a busy day on the nook front – a little too busy. As noted elsewhere on this board, many customers are having a hard time getting eBooks downloaded onto their nooks.

We have people working on it, and expect to have things back to normal by midday on Saturday.

In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience. We’ll post an update here when we have more details.

Reader
mcurry
0 Kudos

Re: Download Delays

not just nooks blackberry & pc too

New User
Camcameron
0 Kudos

Thank you! I am glad that at least one B&N employee is willing to give us a little information. Any ideas if B&N will try to compensate those who purchased eBooks today but were unable to read them?

Tek
Contributor
Tek
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Kevin.  We appreciate the transparancy into the issue. 

For my part I'll try to limit my attempted downloads to every hour instead of every 5 minutes to do my part to limit the strain on the system :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
PhotoGuyDL

Kevin wrote:

It’s been a busy day on the nook front – a little too busy. As noted elsewhere on this board, many customers are having a hard time getting eBooks downloaded onto their nooks.

We have people working on it, and expect to have things back to normal by midday on Saturday.

In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience. We’ll post an update here when we have more details.

Kevin -

I appreciate you acknowledging that BN has recongnized the problem with the downloads and also glad that people are working the Christmas holiday to resolve the problem.

To everyone else that has been complaining and whining, etc., all I can say is that it is Christmas and even BN employees deserve a day the same as you and me.  There are far worse things that could have happened.  My middle son received a call today that one of his classmates mothers was found dead this morning, Christmas morning.  This event will change Christmas for his classmate's entire family from now on. In comparison, not downloading my ebooks today just does not seem worthy of even a whimper.  I still had my family today and everyone is in good health.  I can wait 24-48 hours to receive my ebook purchases.

When I opened my nook this morning, I expected to have difficulties downloading books and other content when it occurred to me that 100,000s of people turned on their nooks for the first time within a short time span across the country and tried to access the BN servers at the same time.  In the cyber-security world, this type of plan is used by hackers to shutdown servers with what is named a "Denial of Service" attack.  I am sure that BN will be able to resolve the download problem within 24-48 hours.

In mean time, let's remember the spirit of Christmas and let the people at BN fix the problem without having to endure whining and complaining, etc.

God Bless!

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

Ha! Every hour? I'm setting my alarm clock for 4am...I'll try it then. The downloaded books are crashing Mac, ipod touch, PC and Blackberry that I know of. Poor Kevin...I'm surprised you're still hitting the message boards with all the abuse you've been taking! Merry Christmas. We appreciate the information. 

Contributor
KrisSiegel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@PhotoGuyDL, I think the issue many of us had is that B&N knew what kind of load they would have (they knew how many nooks were preordered and how many were shipped). Servers, bandwidth and redundancy is cheap.

I understand that it's a holiday but I also think they should have planned ahead: something they clearly did not do.

You shouldn't expect to have download issues with a device like this. This is something very easy to plan for. Look at Steam; they're selling thousands of games today and everyone is download games sometimes 16+GB onto their PC without issue (they're incredibly quick).

Having said that, as long as there is good communication and they work on the problem, I'm fine with it not being resolved right this second. It is Christmas, after all.

Contributor
Reverendella
0 Kudos

Yes, it was frustrating not being able to download my library to my device, having it crash, slow down, or tell me I don't exist in the B&N universe, but I found a way around it - I side-loaded (drop & drag) my library from my laptop into the My Documents folder on the Nook and I now can read my books by selecting the library volumes from My Documents - I just don't get the lovely book covers.  Tomorrow I'm going to the local Barnes & Noble and see if someone can help me download the library where it belongs and try out in the in store WiFi option. 

I guess this will be one of the Christmases for the memory - like the year one tries to put a bike together, or a doll house and spends all day with the poorly-written directions.

Speaking of which, the User's Guide for Nook could use a lot of revising, editing, clarification.  Very poorly written.

New User
Immebsmom
0 Kudos

Is the Content Error Message the one that you get with the server problems? I am so frustrated I am ready to return it tomorrow....It would be nice if there was a guide as to what the errors mean...other than call 800thebook....

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

Some people get the error message, some get the queueing message for hours at a time. It all means the same thing. I've had both today, many times, and it's a server thing. Try one of the Improvised Fix threads to see about sideloading content. :smileyhappy:

New User
mehfisto

Steam had its fair share of issues when it first came out.  That service has been around for going on five years.  You forget that B&N is a corporation, one that is not going to overspend on their initial infrastructure investment on a product they are just releasing.  Sure, they can project the anticipated load, but the fact is you'd have to spend many millions of dollars to adequately size infrastructure to handle any load you throw at it.  They underestimated, but that's not uncommon with a technology launch.

You learn from it, you fix it and you move on.  There are a ton of online games and content delivery services that had severe growing pains, Amazon and the Kindle included.  Does it suck that everyone's shiny new Christmas present doesn't work?  Sure.  I'm sitting here on Christmas chatting with you all instead of reading a book.  Hopefully B&N will make it right and throw everyone a couple of credits for a book.  But to those who are continually saying about how "they should have known/anticipated" I think you need to calm down. The most robust and reliable technologies are developed over time and with experience; they are never perfect right out of the gate.

If you wanted something that was battle tested and was a known quantity, you should have gone with something else.  Me, I'm willing to put up with growing pains to use cutting edge technology. 

My $.02.  Merry Christmas.

Contributor
Redeyes
0 Kudos

Kevin,

Thanks for the update. Figured it was to much to soon for the web site. I remember Apple being down for days when a big launch took place, this was about 24 hours and I was reading my first book last night.

It was a little frustrating, a perfect storm, had my brand new nook, a B&N gift card, no one around and couldn't get a book. But that's over, on with the reading!

Bill

Inspired Contributor
Sandy_Howell
0 Kudos

If any of you thought your nook was malfunctioning when you got the content error or the 'in queue" message, please don't be discouraged!  The server was just bogged down.  My books finally downloaded this morning. It isn't the fault of the nook itself.  Hope you are all successful in getting yours downloaded today.  B&N is aware and worked on the issues.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
ElaineMomNC1
0 Kudos

My books downloaded fine this morning!  Kevin, thank you, you're a real trouper, you deserve at big fat bonus :smileyvery-happy:

The problems we've been experiencing:  the delayed shipments, delayed downloads, work themselves out in time.  For instance, I was so pleasantly surprised when my nook, which was supposed to be delayed till Jan 19, actally was bumped up to Dec 24, then when I checked the UPS page Dec 23, I saw the beautiful OUT FOR DELIVERY. 

Delights like this are worth the wait!

Frequent Contributor
Astoria
0 Kudos

I had no problem this morning downloading a book.

Frequent Contributor
Copynik
0 Kudos

I set mine to download before I went to bed last night and kept it on Wifi.  Woke up in the middle of the night (well 4 am to be exact) and the book had downloaded!  I was so jazzed I immediately got online, loaded up another gift card and downloaded 1 free book and 2 $9.99 books.  Figured just in case the servers are overloaded for a few days I'm very well stocked.  

I'm currently reading 3 different books--my free copy of "The Tipping Point" (given to the first 10,000 who ordered nooks), some free romance novel, and one of the "Shopaholic" series books.  Now I've got about 5 more total waiting in the wings.

I think people need to show a measure of patience here.  This is a brand new gizmo.  And anyone who argues that Amazon didn't have these delays is a) forgetting about the various quirks the Kindle had when it was first released and b) forgetting that unlike Amazon, B&N is a bookseller with a real storefront--they don't see tons of other things, so the way their system is set up for book downloads may  be different.

Kevin I too would like to thank you for giving us feedback and following up on these little bumps in the road.

New User
ginnywMI
0 Kudos

Same here - After waiting over six hours yeasterday for my 1st download, got up this AM yesterdays book had downloaded, so order another and it was delivered & downloaded with 2 mins.  Glad to see that B&N worked on the issue overnight.  Thanks.

Correspondent
T-BONECA
0 Kudos

I saw your post in the what did you name your book thread. I also notice your avatar. I'm assuming the book you downloaded was The Scarlet Letter.:smileyvery-happy:

New User
DocMike
0 Kudos

Re: About Those Download Delays -- Updated 12/26

Thanks Kevin. orking just fine now.

New User
reb210
0 Kudos

Re: About Those Download Delays -- Updated 12/26

I had ebook problems yeserday...downloads became stuck.  I uninstalled and now have tried reinstalling and can't get my ebook to reinstall now!  Help please