Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bostonpies
0 Kudos

Anyone tried reading in the bright sun?

Anyone out there with personal experience using the Nook outside in the bright sun?  I live in gloomy, wintry New England, so can't really test it out, but in 2 weeks will be vacationing in the Caribbean.

Now that I think of it, do you think I will have any issues with sand getting in?

Contributor
kerri1052
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone tried reading in the bright sun?

bostonpies wrote:

Anyone out there with personal experience using the Nook outside in the bright sun?  I live in gloomy, wintry New England, so can't really test it out, but in 2 weeks will be vacationing in the Caribbean.

Now that I think of it, do you think I will have any issues with sand getting in?

I would order the Leisure cover from M-Edge just to be safe.  Enter FACEEDGE or MTWITTER for a 20% discount.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I've read in the sun.  No different than a book, sometimes you need shades.

For the beach,  Large size ziplock bag.  Read right thru it.  Prevents accidents.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

i lived in Daytona Beach for quite a while.

While you think these things are pretty self contained, as we all know, sand gets everywhere, especially up your crack.

Every cell phone i owned ended up having an annoying grain of sand INSIDE the screen.

If you are going to be in a sandy area, protect your nook as much as possible.  (i don't know about the m-edge thing, but look into it... any extra protection is beneficial with sand around)

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Contributor
brananna
0 Kudos

Akin to the plastic baggy idea, check out Cartouche's suggestion of using a $0.97 3-ring binder for sand/water protection (search "really good cover").  I'm headed to the beach in a few weeks too, and while the m-edge Leisure jacket looks great, it's not what I want for everyday use and I don't want to pay for two covers right now!

Frequent Contributor
Doc_R
0 Kudos

How about a week on a cruise in the Caribbean - would that qualify? Having the nook was great and there were absolutely no problems other than the constant questions coming from interested passengers.
Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

I would not use the Nook or any other sort of device for extended periods in a sea side environment without a plastic bag type of protection.    There is always a measure of salt in the air and, over time, this can get in the device and cause corrosion.

It's not like taking it out for a few minutes or an occasional visit to the beach is going to be a problem but, if you make a habit of it, i would take further precautions.

Contributor
hbgg1989
0 Kudos

I bought the waterproof cover from Trendy Digital.  I has a double zipper closure along with a fold over snap top. It also has an adjustable strap for carrying. I like to read in the tub and this will make my Nook safe.

http://trendydigital.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17