Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
magictaco
0 Kudos

Re: Attn: B&N Marketing Department. I'm ordering a Kindle today. Thought you'd want to know why.

Paul,

Your pricing reason is flawed.  I can get ebooks from Fictionwise for $3.99, which is much cheaper than Amazon's prices.  I can read my Fictionwise ebooks on my nook, but you won't be able to read them on a Kindle.  Kindle limits you to only what's available in Amazon's ebook library.  nook will not just be limited to B&N's store, but due to multiformats, will have access to millions of ebooks via other ebook retailers AND your local library.

This is the main reason I've chosen nook over Kindle.

~
Have a taco. I love you.
Contributor
freudian_slip
0 Kudos

Re: Attn: B&N Marketing Department. I'm ordering a Kindle today. Thought you'd want to know why.

[ Edited ]

magictaco wrote:

Paul,

Your pricing reason is flawed.  I can get ebooks from Fictionwise for $3.99, which is much cheaper than Amazon's prices.  I can read my Fictionwise ebooks on my nook, but you won't be able to read them on a Kindle.  Kindle limits you to only what's available in Amazon's ebook library.  nook will not just be limited to B&N's store, but due to multiformats, will have access to millions of ebooks via other ebook retailers AND your local library.

Thanks, magictaco (great name by the way.)

I guess it probably boils down to what each person wants to read. I looked at the bestselling list on Fictionwise, and there were only about three books in the entire list that I want. And two of those were Lord or the Rings Trilogy ($19.54 compared to Amazon's $12) and The Hobbit ($9.49 compared to Amazon's $7.99.)

Perhaps you could help me understand the public library side of things. Are these public domain books or current releases? And is it a "check-out" kind of thing where I have the books for a limited time?

Lastly, I understand that the Kindle can support PDF now, so any PDF books would work on it and not just Kindle Store books, no?

Thanks in advance. Yay readers!

Paul

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene

[ Edited ]

> Perhaps you could help me understand the public library side of things. Are these public domain books or current releases? And is it a "check-out" kind of thing where I have the books for a limited time?

Overdrive, which provides the digital content for many libraries, is getting most new books in ePub format these days.  There are many current releases, though certainly not everything.  Checkout is for either 7 or 14 days.  See http://spl.lib.overdrive.com/ (Seattle Public Library) as an example.

> Lastly, I understand that the Kindle can support PDF now, so any PDF books would work on it and not just Kindle Store books, no?

Even with the update, the Kindle only supports non-DRMed PDF files.  So PDF files from Overdrive (e.g. the entire Lemony Snicket series), and many commercial ebooks you might buy elsewhere, will not work on the Kindle.

Contributor
freudian_slip

Thanks. My local library uses NetLibrary.  I called them and they didn't know if NetLibrary will support the Nook and it's formats, so I emailed NetLibrary myself to see. I appreciate this community. It is helping with a very agonizing decision. Thanks to you board contributers, I've held off on my decision.

Paul

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

> My local library uses NetLibrary.  I called them and they didn't know if NetLibrary will support the Nook and it's formats, so I emailed NetLibrary myself to see.

Can you actually download anything from NetLibrary?  The library I have access to there only allows online viewing, which definitely won't work on the nook until they get a web browser (and didn't work on the Kindle when I last tried it—and even if it did, page flipping would likely take >10 seconds).  It's an awful service.

Frequent Contributor
JoeChristmas66
0 Kudos

magictaco wrote:

Paul,

Your pricing reason is flawed.  I can get ebooks from Fictionwise for $3.99, which is much cheaper than Amazon's prices.  I can read my Fictionwise ebooks on my nook, but you won't be able to read them on a Kindle.  Kindle limits you to only what's available in Amazon's ebook library.....

Um, from Fictionwise's own website:

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/kindleFaq.htm

Which eBooks From Fictionwise Work on My Kindle?

All of our MultiFormat eBooks work on Kindle, other than a small number marked "Limited MultiFormat". Check the Available eBook Formats section of any Multiformat eBook description page to be sure. As of December 2007, over 15,000 MultiFormat titles are available for Kindle.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene

[ Edited ]

To be clear on this:

Fictionwise's "Multiformat" books have no DRM, so they will work just fine on the Kindle.  (BT,DT.)  Their "secure" formats will not work on the Kindle; whereas "secure eReader" (.pdb) and "secure Adobe Reader" (.epub/.pdf) will work on the nook.

I find it very strange that B&N has claimed that all FictionWise content will work on the nook, because so far they have not indicated that "secure MS Reader" (.lit) or "secure Mobipocket" (.mobi) are supported, and both seem unlikely.  But as I recall, they let you redownload the same book in different formats, so this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

and not only that site.  There's other sites out there that sell the kindle books as I pointed out to him after he said that in another thread.  Kindle is not exclusive to amazon just as the Nook is not exclusive to B&N.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

> and not only that site.  There's other sites out there that sell the kindle books as I pointed out to him after he said that in another thread.  Kindle is not exclusive to amazon just as the Nook is not exclusive to B&N.

But that's entirely misleading.  It's true there are many non-DRMed ebooks around, but if you look at new releases being sold by legitimate/legal companies (including FictionWise), you'll find that they are basically all DRMed.  They will only work on the Kindle if you buy them from Amazon.

If all you care about is quantity, good for you.

Reader
Purplebri
0 Kudos

Does anyone else remember when Cabbage Patch Kids first hit the stores in the 1980's? At that time there was no pre-ordering, yet there was not a single Cabbage Patch Kid to be had at Christmas time in any store nationwide. Why? Because, even though no one had actually see a Cabbage Patch Kid when they first hit the shelves, everyone wanted one.

Imagine what the rush would have been like if people had been able to pre-order a Cabbage Patch Kid. I'm sure the ship date would have been pushed back to Easter that year, so the company would have time to fill all the orders.

Now, of course, you can't walk into a good toy store without tripping over the boxes of Cabbage Patch Kids, but, according to a Toys'R'Us associate I spoke with over the weekend, they are still the #1 selling doll brand in the US.

Seems to me, the Nook ship date issue is about the same as the stocking issue for Cabbage Patch Kids that first Christmas. The only difference is B&N allowed pre-ordering, and they were overwhelmed. I ordered mine in October, after spending three weeks doing research on what was available. It will ship when it ships.

Good luck with your Kindles and your Sonys!

Contributor
freudian_slip
0 Kudos

AdamSelene wrote:
Can you actually download anything from NetLibrary?  The library I have access to there only allows online viewing, which definitely won't work on the nook until they get a web browser (and didn't work on the Kindle when I last tried it—and even if it did, page flipping would likely take >10 seconds).  It's an awful service.
That's a good question. I don't have an account there yet, so I will have to go to my library to create one and see for myself... this is what I got back from NetLibrary's tech support:
"In order to find what ebooks from your library are compatible with the Nook, go to Advanced Search, Limit Search By (optional), under Format select the box that says "Downloadable eBooks," and your search will turn up the PDF titles.  "
I'm going to need to see just how many PDFs they have and whether or nor they're more than just public domain stuff.

Frequent Contributor
Xandie
0 Kudos

Ah, if only my mom could get me a nook the way she got me  cabbage patch doll.... she worked at a Montgomery Ward (remember those?) at the time, and was the person who stocked them all on the shelves. Suffice to say, I got mine on Christmas day. Pretty sure it was the first best present I ever got. Pretty hopeful that the one that ships on the 18'th is the second best :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Gone78
0 Kudos

Funny..I'm watching CBS' Early Show, and they mentioned Cabbage Patch Kids were the hottest toy in 1985. I got mine on Christmas Day also. A bald, blue eyed boy named Frank. I still have him, though he's nekkid. :smileysurprised:

New User
Heth
0 Kudos

Thanks for this post. I too canceled my Nook and went with the Kindle. Canceled my order Wednesday night, ordered the Kindle, and it was here last night. I've had a blast playing around with it. I've got 30-40 books on it currently, most of which were free, and it doesn't lag near like the Sony reader I tried in-store did, nor like I've *heard* the Nook does...

Amazon seems to have a bigger book (and free book) selection which is one thing I like. The color screen wasn't a big deal to me, neither was the touch-screen necessarily. My iPhone screen is awesome, but is the first touch-screen I've ever enjoyed... And even then it took apple a while to get it right. I'm happy with my choice, and have my ereader it now, instead of several weeks in advance.

My husband still has his Nook ordered. He wanted to wait and try out my Kindle, but I feel like before the weekend is over, his Nook will be canceled for a Kindle as well.

To each their own, and some don't mind waiting... But, I'm a little afraid of a sinking ship with the Nook.

Happy Reading!

*heth*

New User
chibaraki
0 Kudos

I'm not gloating, I'm actually a little sad about it, but I ordered a Kindle too. I was really on the fence already -- my reason for wanting a nook boiled down to "it's cute and the Kindle is fugly," and a vague hope that it would do a better job at displaying PDFs than the Kindle does.

When I decided I wanted an e-reader, I checked around in the different ebook stores, and found that Amazon's selection is a better fit for me personally. I also discovered that it's fairly simple to convert un-DRMed ePub for use on the Kindle, which means I'd still have access to all the Project Gutenberg stuff. That really evened the playing field. I was just waiting for the nook to hit stores to make a decision so I could decide after handling one.

Unfortunately B&N keeps pushing that date back, and then announced that the nook will not be available to buy in stores AT ALL until after the holidays. I'm travelling internationally this month and will be on planes and in airports 18+ hours each way. I was really hoping to have an e-reader by the time I leave on the 19th. Then I saw Engadget's hands-on post, which talked about the laggy interface, and that pushed me right over the edge. The nook would have had to be AMAZING to get me to wait until after my trip to buy an e-reader, and it's clearly not amazing enough.

My one regret is the library lending, since my local library uses Overdrive, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make to avoid lugging books onto three connecting flights each way.

Contributor
General_Leo

I don't really see the big deal with a laggy interface... it's not as if your trying to open 10 books in 2 minutes.  If its laggier than the kindle when turning pages, now that would be a big deal.

New User
chibaraki
0 Kudos

It's probably not a big deal for a lot of people, I just know that kind of thing drives me crazy personally. Also, the note-taking/highlighting/dictionary features are pretty important to me and all of those have to use the keyboard on the touchscreen.

Contributor
freudian_slip

[ Edited ]

Frist, thank you to all the forum members - you've been great.

It was an agonizing decision, but after running the e-book pricing numbers (1-2 years of Amazon e-Books verses B&N's equals the cost of a NOOK!) So, I officially ordered the Kindle yesterday and it will be here Monday (I paid $4 for overnight delivery.)  I will wait until the Nook works out all the kinks and until there are some industry reviews and customer reviews. Then I will consider grabbing a Nook at this time next year.

It was a tough decision and I thank you for the mostly helpfull input.

Happy reading and may the Nook be as cool as it looks!

Paul

Reader
Purplebri
0 Kudos

Hi All!

I got my Nook UPS today!:smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
AliceLocke
0 Kudos

After a few days of researching them side by side, drinking, and various other things, I've also decided to cancel my pre-order and go with a Kindle.

The device itself, in the end I think will be fine. I'm pretty certain they'll have a software update or two that will really improve things and the like. (Though I will say I didn't think the Nook was quite as bad as some people say!)

In the end what got me to jump over to the other side was selection. Barnes and Noble just doesn't have as many e-books I want as Amazon does. And in a device dedicated to reading books I find that pretty important.

Best of luck to those who have it/preordered it though! I'm going to keep my eye on it. Maybe I'll end up getting a Nook 2 someday.